[comp.sys.apple] Modems

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (04/08/88)

I'm looking for a faster modem for my IIGS than the old 300 baud one I currently
have.  DAK had a 1200 bps modem on sale for something like $80.00 which really
caught my eye, then I saw that USRobotics have a Sportster 2400 modem which
lists for $249 (I assume I can find it cheaper).  Does anyone have any
experience with USR sportster modems (2400 or 1200), the DAK modem, or
other suggestions?  I know there was a lot of discussion on the Courier HST
awhile back, but that's more than I want to spend, and more power than I can
use right now.
Thanks!

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/08/88)

I'm using a Avatex 2400 at this moment. It's said to be fully Hays compatible
(does some funny things with Softerm II, but I may not have the ideal driver
selected). It costs <$190, including shipping, for COD; somewhat less for a
check, from an advertiser in _Computer Shopper_ (may have been Lyco); 4%
surcharge for credit card. Has lots of LED status indicators, 2 year warantee.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/09/88)

In article <8804072007.AA15300@mitre.arpa> mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA writes:
>I'm looking for a faster modem for my IIGS than the old 300 baud one I currently
>have.  DAK had a 1200 bps modem on sale for something like $80.00 which really
>caught my eye, then I saw that USRobotics have a Sportster 2400 modem which
>lists for $249 (I assume I can find it cheaper).  Does anyone have any
>experience with USR sportster modems (2400 or 1200), the DAK modem, or
>other suggestions?  I know there was a lot of discussion on the Courier HST
>awhile back, but that's more than I want to spend, and more power than I can
>use right now.
>Thanks!

Well, at AppleFest I met th president of Epic Technologies, makes of the
worlds only 2400 baud internal modem.  Supposed to be 100% hayes compate,
down to the registes and all that, plus lowercase and something else.

At <$200 ( I got a flyer in the mail -- like $185 or so) for the internal,
and ~$200 for the external, it may be my next modem . . .

But:  I want someone to check it out first, so:  Go buy it and review it
here! :-)

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (05/20/88)

>Another (previously suggested) modem is the "Supra" from Supra Corp. in
>Oregon. Available mail order @ no discount for $179 and from mail order houses
>@ $149 .

I have the Supra modem. I have had no problems at with it so far.
I can't really do a comparison as it's the only 2400 that I've ever used.
Another modem that I would highly recommend it the Capetronic 1200 baud. This
is marketed as the QT1200 and other names. It is the generic looking on
e that has the power supply built in and hangs from the power outlet.
It sells for 70 to 90 dollars and I never had any trouble with it. In fact
I just passed it on to a friend who had never used a modem and he is using
it from his Mac successfully.

>gee, I wonder how distributors can sell for less than the factory?
This reminds me of the conversation that I had with Beagle Bros. They told
me that if we bought fifty copies of a program that they would cost %40 of
list. Applied Engineering not only charges more for their product than
distributors but takes an average of 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, as apposed to
same day shipping at around %60 by most mail order houses.

tmetro@lynx.northeastern.EDU (05/29/88)

 Jim Block (jib@husc6.harvard.edu) writes:
> I would suggest waiting for the Applied Engineering Datalink 2400.
> Features (from AE data sheet):
> [...]
> Adaptive equalization and descrambling {???}
Adaptive equalization means that the microcontroler in the modem monitors
the line condition and adjusts the analog filters for best performance.

Scrambling/descrambling is a method of randomizing the modem data. It uses
a formula like: X= 1 + X^-14 + X^-17. This is supposed to distribute the
data over the entire bandwidth (as many 1's as 0's) which is needed for
proper operation of the adaptive equalization.

> List price $239
That does sound a bit high for a non-error checking (MNP) modem.
The T.H.E. Super Modem 2400 (external) from PC Network is selling for about
$150 now. Its a well built (uses a full size metal case like the Hayes) modem
with all the typical features including some unusual features like synchronous
communication in addition to the standard asynchronous format.

> Also includes AE's DataTerm and Online 64 software
I heard that this was a repackaged version of TIC.

Personally, I like external modems. That way you can unplug the modem and
use it on another machine (if you upgrade, etc.) You also get status lights
and a monitor speaker.

  ___________
 / Tom Metro \_____________________________________________________________
|                                                   _   _                  |
| INET: tmetro@pro-angmar.uucp              --/\/\_| |_| '- DigiTell, Inc. |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.mil             Newton, MA     |
| UUCP: [ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pnet01!pro%angmar!tmetro                |
|_Alternate:_tmetro@lynx.northeastern.edu__________________________________|

C70301RC@WUVMD.BITNET (Rob Caton) (01/04/89)

I am finally replacing my 300 baud modem for a 1200 baud one.  Any suggestions
for an inexpensive one?  Has anyone had experience with the Practical
Peripherals 1200SA?  I can get one for 89.95.  Please give me your thoughts,
comments, opinions, etc.  Thanks!

|       Rob Caton          |BITNET:  C70301RC@WUVMD                 |
|--------------------------|APPLELINK:  RobCaton <==(How original:-)|
|(Area Under Construction) |COMPU$ERVE:  71450,754                  |
|====================================================================
| "ACK THIPPFFT"  _   /|   | Don't blame me;  |
|    --Bill        'O.O    | I voted for Bill |
|      the        =(___)=  | and Opus!!!      |
|      Cat           U     |                  |

jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) (01/05/89)

If you have a serial card, I could sell you an external 1200 baud modem for
$79. Of course, it's Hayes compatible, has a speaker, tone/pulse
dial/re-dial...etc.

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jlee
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jlee@nosc.mil
INET: jlee@pnet01.cts.com

L77@TAUNOS.BITNET (Yoram Ney) (01/06/89)

Thus spake Rob Caton (C70301RC%WUVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU):
>I am finally replacing my 300 baud modem for a 1200 baud one.  Any suggestions
>for an inexpensive one?  Has anyone had experience with the Practical
>Peripherals 1200SA?  I can get one for 89.95.  Please give me your thoughts,
>comments, opinions, etc.  Thanks!

I've been using the unbeatable Prentice PopCom X100,and I have no doubt as to
it's supriority over any other modem I had used (Hayes,Avatex,Dowty 2400) or
been arround (Prometheus,Courier).I don't know what it is that has this one
supressing line-noise so perfect.I was almost tempted several times to
upgrade to a 2400 modem,but no demonstration yet had convinced me the xtra
speed is worth the loss of line clarity.

BTW,could someone explain what  MNP *LEVEL* means? Does a higher MNP
level mean fewer errors?

               L77@TAUNOS

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/07/89)

In article <8901051809.aa26436@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> L77@TAUNOS.BITNET (Yoram Ney) writes:
>I was almost tempted several times to upgrade to a 2400 modem,
>but no demonstration yet had convinced me the xtra speed is worth
>the loss of line clarity.

Unless you have a particularly bad local loop, you shouldn't have
noticeable line noise problems with any modern 2400 bps modem.
If you dial long-distance for file transfers, then 2400 bps is
the MINIMUM speed I would recommend (9600 bps is worth using if
you do this a lot).

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (01/08/89)

	If your going to be transfering IIgs stuph, then 9600 is a must as
	I see it. Do I have one, nope. Still saving up for one. What do you
	all think about the USR 9600 and the Hayes formats? All of the
	people that I know that have 9600's, have USR's(and got them on
	the SysOp deal).

	Anyone know how to fix this: The in ports on my Ensonic DOC seem to
	be flooded with noise(voltage).

In <8901031358.aa02600@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> C70301RC@WUVMD.BITNET (Rob Caton) writes:
>I am finally replacing my 300 baud modem for a 1200 baud one.  Any suggestions
>for an inexpensive one?  Has anyone had experience with the Practical
>Peripherals 1200SA?  I can get one for 89.95.  Please give me your thoughts,
>comments, opinions, etc.  Thanks!

	One suggestion is that you don't get a 1200 baud modem! I would
suggest that you get a 2400 baud modem AT LEAST...I believe we are now
entering the "9600 turnover" also...Meaning that "average Joes" are going
9600 nowadays...Very slowly now I will admit, but it's starting.

	You can even get a 2400 baud modem for under $100 if you look
around hard enough {I -think- I've seen ads for them mail order under $100}.

	By the way, I have an EasyData 2400BD modem that works quite well
for me...

	The only problems are: an audible click from the modem when it
goes online or hangs up (I was told this was the physical switch inside the
modem making the noise)...Maybe they've fixed that by now but it doesn't
bug me too much anyways...

	The other problem is one that I was told exists on virtually ALL,
if not ALL, Hayes compatible external modems over 1200 baud...They do not
support switch 7 {or was it 11?}, the switch that determines dialing speed.
I think that may even be done by Hayes themselves nowadays.

	Hardly anyone mentiones that internal switch, but it is sort of
annoying that it is not existant anymore (as I already said, I think it's
nonexistant on most if not all external modems).

	Hope I helped you a little...

			-tuu

paravia@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark David Kakatsch) (01/09/89)

As to S11 support, I have an Avatex 2400 which does support S11. I have it set
to 40 at the moment, which greatly improves speed of dialing.

Mark

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (01/10/89)

In article <2734*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.cdn>, delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN writes:

> 	Dave Troup mentions USR's 9600 baud modem.  Well I say be careful....
> Grant

True, but I have had an HST for about a year now, and have had No problems, no
line noise, and low phone bills....  There are thousands of boards around the
nation using HST's.  I only know of one hobbyist board operating at 9600 baud
full duplex (v.32), most are operating with HST's.  Even if USR doesn't get the
standard, they have gotten it in the minds of the hobbyists!  For about $500
you can transfer a disk in 3 minutes....where with 1200 it took 20 minutes....
When you are talking long distance rates, that saves a lot of bucks!  The HST is
a very smart modem with automatic fallback and advance depending upon line
conditions.  For instance in Denver alone, of all the 9600 baud Apple boards I
know of (about 10 to 15), all but 1 are running with HST's.... Lance's Proline
board is the only one I know of operating at v.32...the rest are USR HST's...

It really depeneds on what you need your 9600 baud for?!  I wanted mine for
calling up other Apple computer based BBS's around the nation.... so I got
an HST.... If you want to connect up to your company's amdahl or vax, then
pay the extra $400+ for the v.32 as most big companies can afford those modems.
I can't.   The HST is for the not-so-rich hobbyist....and thats about the
extent of it...

Later -Dan Vachon-   !ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (01/11/89)

L77@TAUNOS.BITNET (Yoram Ney) writes:
>BTW,could someone explain what  MNP *LEVEL* means? Does a higher MNP
>level mean fewer errors?

MNP stands for Microcom Networking Protocol.  Each MNP level is a bit
different, and some are better for certain applications than others.  Here's a
summary of each one that I know of:

Class 1
MNP Class 1 uses an asynchronous byte-oriented half-duplex method of
exchanging data.  The protocol efficiency of a Class 1 implementation is about
70%.  A device using MNP Class 1 with a 2400 bps modem will realize 1690 bps
throughput.  Modern microprocessors have beome so powerful that
implementations of MNP Class 1 are uncommon in the U.S.

Class 2
MNP Class 2 uses asynchronous byte-oriented full-duplex data exchange.  Almost
all microprocessor-based hardware is capable of supporting MNP Class 2
performance.  The protocol efficiency of a Class 2 implementation is about
84%.  A device using MNP Class 2 with a 2400 bps modem will realize 2000 bps
throughput.

Class 3
MNP Class 3 uses synchronous bit-oriented full-duplex data exchange.  The
synchronous bit-oriented data format is inherently more efficient than the
asynchronous byte-oriented data format.  It takes 10 bits to represent 8 data
bits in the asynchronous data format because of the "start" and "stop" framing
bits.  The synchronous data format eliminates the need for start and stop
bits.  The user still sends data asynchronously to the Class 3 modem;
meanwhile, the modems communicate with each other synchronously.  The protocol
efficiency of a Class 3 implementation is about 108%.  A device using Class 3
with a 2400 baud modem will realize 2600 bps throughput.

Class 4
MNP Class 4 introduces two new concepts, Adaptive Packet Assembly (tm) and
Data Phase Optimization (tm), to further improve the performance of an MNP
modem.  During data transfer, MNP monitors the reliability of the transmission
medium.  If the data channel is relatively error-free, MNP assembles larger
data packets to increase throughput.  If the data channel is introducing many
errors, then MNP assembles smaller data packets to transmit.  While smaller
data packets increase protocol overhead, they concurrently decrease the
throughput penalty of data retransmissions.  The result of smaller data
packets is more data is successfully transmitted on the first try. MNP
protocol recognizes that during the data transfer phase of a connection, most
of the administrative information in the data packet never changes.  Data
Phase Optimization (tm) provides a method for eliminating some of the
administrative information.  The protocol efficiency of a Class 4
implementation is about 120%.  A device using MNP Class 4 with a 2400 bps
modem will realize approximately 2900 bps throughput.

Class 5
MNP Class 5 introduces Data Compression as a new feature to MNP Class 4
service.  MNP Data Compression uses a real-time adaptive algorithm to compress
data....  The user will see compression performance vary between 1.3 to 1 and
2 to 1 (some files may be compressed at even higher ratios).  A realistic
estimate of the overall compression factor a user will experience is 1.6 to 1
or 63%.  This is equivalent to having a net protocol efficiency of 200% for an
MNP Class 5 implementation.  A device using MNP Class 5 with a 2400 bps modem
will realize 4800 bps throughput.  [Note that Class 5 works quite well with
ASCII transmissions.  Binary files yield lower compression ratios.]

Class 6
MNP Class 6 introduces the new features Universal Link Negotiation (tm) and
Statistical Duplexing (tm) to MNP Class 5 service.  Universal Link Negotiation
allows MNP to unify non-compatible modem modulation technology into the same
MNP error-correcting modem.  [Basically, Universal Link Negotiation (tm)
allows modems to agree on the best baud rate for the connection, while
Statistical Duplexing (tm) allows modems to work faster with the end sending
the blocks, since not much is going on with the end sending the
acknowledgements.]

Class 7
MNP Class 7 defines an enhanced data compression technique which, like Class 5
Data Compression, can be negotiated into use on a call-by-call basis.
However, in Class 7, the coding technique not only dynamically adjusts to the
type of user data being transmitted, but also predicts the probability of
characters in the data stream.  This predictive nature of the algorithm allows
user data to be represented by the shortest possible Huffman codes and thus
results in an enhanced compression affect.  [This means that if you send a
binary file, it will do its best to recognize that fact and alter its
compression technique accordingly.]  A realistic estimate of the overall
compression factor for Class 7 is 2.4 to 1 or 42%.  Thus, a device using MNP
Class 7 Data Compression with a 2400 bps modem will realize 7200 bps
throughput.

[Microcom, MNP Data Compression, Adaptive Packet Assembly, Data Phase
Optimization, Universal Link Negotiation, and Statistical Duplexing are
trademarks of Microcom, Inc.

MNP is a registered trademark of Microcom, Inc.]

There you have it.  Right from the horse's mouth, actually.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

markm@pro-houston.cts.com (Mark Mavromatis) (11/12/89)

I'd suggest getting the Supramodem 2400 for $109 from Roger Coats mail-order
company. I bought my Supramodem from a local apple user group and I have had 0
problems with it. It was a GREAT investment.

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (02/11/90)

Hi out there... I realize that this subject has probably been beaten to death
but our local users group is looking for a GOOD 2400 baud modem for a decent
price. It doesn't have to be fancy, but reliable would be nice. I could use
some prices, as well as places that are reliable to buy it. We aren't that
big or that rich of a users group, and I need one that is a little cheaper than
normal. Please send E-mail and I'll post a summary if there is any interest.
Also, this modem will be used for a BBS so it has to be able to withstand a
little punishment...
                                                  Thanks...
                                                      ...Sal

<SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET>
<sab121@psuvm.psu.edu>

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/20/90)

In article <7363.apple.net@pro-realm> kirk@pro-realm.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) writes:
>I disagree with this. I would never buy an internal modem. Here are my
>reasons:
>
>1. It draws power from your computer's power supply. More strain = faster
>   fail, and the II+ power supply was kinda weak anyway.

It doesn't draw that much power.  OK, so my IIe has run a bit warmer lately.  A
cooling fan costs about $15-$20, or you can get a bigger supply.

>2. No indication of what is going on with the modem when you are using it.
>   Sure, you can hear it connect, but having the indicator lights telling
>   you exactly what it is doing is very useful.

Maybe so, but they aren't absolutely essential, and only add to the clutter I'd
like to avoid.

>3. This is the big one. Portability! I have one modem, and I can use it
>   on my IIe, IIgs, and Amiga just by using a T-switch. If you buy an
>   internal modem, you are stuck *forever* using it on the machine you
>   bought it for. Pay the extra couple bucks for an external so you
>   don't hate yourself later if you want to switch to a different computer.

Fine for you if you have more than one computer.  The only computer I'd
consider switching to is the IIGS, and I can just move my DataLink from the
IIe to the IIGS.  If, for some reason, I decided to switch to, say, a
Macintosh (perish the thought!), I'd just sell the modem with the computer.

>4. If you use the super serial card + modem, you can also use the serial
>   card later on if you want to drive an Imagewriter or other serial printer.

I already have a Super Serial Card driving an Imagewriter, and I didn't want to
have to switch the SSC between the printer and a modem.  Not only would you
need a switch box, you'd also need to either get a null modem for the printer
or flip the terminal block on the SSC every time you want to switch between the
printer and modem--too much work that you avoid by keeping the printer and
modem on separate cards.  An external modem and second SSC (even an SSC clone,
instead of the genuine Apple SSC that drives the printer) would cost more than
an internal modem card.

>That's about it. Just my opinion...

You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else.  My opinion is that
external modems aren't worth the clutter and expense, especially if you intend
to use a modem with one computer or one family of computer (IIe-->IIGS).

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (02/23/90)

> You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else.  My opinion is that
> external modems aren't worth the clutter and expense, especially if you intend
> to use a modem with one computer or one family of computer (IIe-->IIGS).

There's two more reasons internal modems aren't any fun to use:  1) they are
limited to 2400 baud.  I use an HST 9600 and those don't fit in slots.  2) If
you plan on upgrading to a IIgs or have a IIgs you will soon run out of slots
and a device that uses a slot instead of a built in port is a waste.

Consider:  My Sonic Blaster and my modem share slot 2.  Since I use proterm
and it accesses the modem port hardware directly I leave my control panel
setting for slot 2 at "your card."

However, since everyone reading this list probably has a modem and they love
it to death there's no point in debating the issue, no?

Paul Hutmacher    | crash!pro-europa!paul     |  They were calling to each
P.O. Box 66046    | paul@pro-europa.cts.com   |other in the meter band, their
Houston, TX 77266 | 713/526-0714 3/12/24/9600 |radio voices faint but clear..

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/24/90)

In article <1626@crash.cts.com> paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>However, since everyone reading this list probably has a modem and they love
>it to death there's no point in debating the issue, no?

Agreed.

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) (03/08/90)

Hi all.  I need some help in buying a new modem.  Basically what I need to know
is whether MNP error protection circuitry is worth the extra money for a 2400
baud modem.  Is it?  Thanks for the help!

ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) (03/09/90)

In article <9489@wpi.wpi.edu> jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) writes:
>Hi all.  I need some help in buying a new modem.  Basically what I need to know
>is whether MNP error protection circuitry is worth the extra money for a 2400
>baud modem.  Is it?  Thanks for the help!

I would suggest that whether or not you need the extra protection depends on
the quality of the phone line you are using.  Also, some cheaper modems are
more susceptable to line noise than most, but if you are buying a popular
brand of modem, such as a Hayes, Avatex, U.S. Robotics, or Telebit, I would
not worry about it.  I have an Avatex 2400 baud modem without MNP, and I very
rarely have any problems with line noise.  I have also used Zoom Telephonics
and Practical Peripherals brand 2400 baud modems without MNP and had no noise
problems.  In fact, the only 2400 baud modem I have seen that was below
standard was an Omnidyne, but it had been dropped off a table onto the floor a
few times.

In theory, MNP can also result in slightly higher data transmission rates by
utilizing data compression techniques, however this is only useful if you plan
on doing large file transfers over the phone, such as if you plan to call a
lot of bulletin boards.

One problem with MNP modems is that you only gain the advantages of MNP if you
are calling another modem with MNP, and I am almost positive that the modems
WPI has do not support MNP.

In summary, I would get the MNP if I had a noisy phone line and/or I planned
on doing lots of file transfers with bulletin boards that have MNP modems,
otherwise, I would save my money.

aj0@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (03/18/90)

)>Hi all.  I need some help in buying a new modem.  What I need to know

)
)In theory, MNP can also result in slightly higher data transmission rates by
)utilizing data compression techniques, however this is only useful if you plan
)
)One problem with MNP modems is that you only gain the advantages of MNP if you
)are calling another modem with MNP, and I am almost positive that the modems

    As mentioned, MNP depends on the other modem supporting it to.  MNP is
only put in use when both modems connected support it.  I have noticed more
and more places starting to support MNP callers.  Around here, Compu$erve
and Tynet have both upgraded their modems from 1200 bps to 2400 bps MNP
level 4.  The level of MNP is inportant: with level 4, you get only a slight
inprovement in speed; with level 5, data is compressed and you get about
twice the speed (roughtly 4800 bps).  Of course any level of MNP protects
against line noise errors.
    If places you call support MNP and your phone lines aren't perfect, I'd
say the extra to get MNP is worth it.  If any place you call a lot supports
MNP level 5 or above, consider the extra speed improvement you will get.
Oh, if you do decide to go with MNP, make sure the modem supports at least
MNP level 5.  If it doesn't then think twice before getting it.
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland