[comp.sys.apple] Editing Pro-DOS Directories

tblake%vaxa.dnet@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (Thomas R. Blake) (03/03/90)

Kindly Apple ][ Gurus,

    I have a user who accidentally deleted an AppleWorks file.  I have obtained
a binary disk editor (ByteZap-Pro), and I have located portions of his file.
But I have little idea how to go about re-constructing the disk's directory
entries.

    Is there out there a PD/FreeWare/ShareWare routine for re-constructing a
ProDOS directory?  If not, can someone give me a guide to the various fields of
a directory entry so that I can try to re-construct it "manually"?  (This is a
5.25" diskette by-the-way).  The file was created while the user was using
AppleWorks on a //gs with an early version of OS-GS.

TBLAKE@BINGVAXA.BITNET                          Thomas R. Blake
tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu               Lead Programmer/Analyst
                                                Academic Computing Services
                                                SUNY-Binghamton

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer) (03/03/90)

tblake%vaxa.dnet@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (Thomas R. Blake) writes:
> Kindly Apple ][ Gurus,
>
>   I have a user who accidentally deleted an AppleWorks file.  I have obtained
> a binary disk editor (ByteZap-Pro), and I have located portions of his file.
> But I have little idea how to go about re-constructing the disk's directory
> entries.
>
>     Is there out there a PD/FreeWare/ShareWare routine for re-constructing a
> ProDOS directory?If not, can someone give me a guide to the various fields of
> a directory entry so that I can try to re-construct it "manually"? (This is a
> 5.25" diskette by-the-way).  The file was created while the user was using
> AppleWorks on a //gs with an early version of OS-GS.

First of all, try any Undelete program such as Copy II+ (and possibly
Pro-Sel).  These are designed to do all the grunt work of fixing the
directory entry and recovering deleted files.

If that fails, go get yourself a copy of Inside ProDOS which is an
excellent manual for anyone doing byte twiddling on ProDOS disks.  It
gives you all the information on directory contents, file types,
finding 'lost' files, and a bunch o' other nifty information.

Good luck.

ross

rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (03/05/90)

I have never tried it with AppleWorks but you might try the undelete option in
Copy II Plus.   If you have that program, that would be the easiest way to
start the attempt.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (03/05/90)

In article <10684.apple.net@pro-grouch> tomk@pro-grouch writes:

>                                          you might try the undelete option in
>Copy II Plus.   If you have that program, that would be the easiest way to
>start the attempt.
>
>UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
>ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

By the way, I haven't been able to undelete successfully in Copy II
Plus for ANYTHING ProDOS, in a long time.  I thought that new (post 1.2
or so) ProDOS versions preserved the index blocks when they deleted files (I
know it's hopeless for seedling files (or is it?)).  And I seem to remember
that the original CopyIIPlus disk had a patched Prodos 1.1.1 on it to
accomplish just this.  But has anyone been able to make it work?

thanks...
Scott
blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu

And thanks for the people who pointed out my overlooking the format
function in Apple File Exchange ... we've all got our blind days; I've
got my blind years. :)

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (03/06/90)

In article <14261@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) writes:
>By the way, I haven't been able to undelete successfully in Copy II
>Plus for ANYTHING ProDOS, in a long time.  I thought that new (post 1.2

That's strange.  I've never had problems with undeleting files with Copy II
Plus.  Then again, I also try to use the newest version of ProDOS available;
I'm currently using v1.8.  Anything before 1.3 trashes the file in some way
to make the file unrecoverable.  (Besides, older versions can't tell the time--
I have a Thunderclock and tried it with v1.0.1 that came with my IIe, and it
said it was 1984 or 1985!  Yes, I know why it does that, so I don't need
everyone flodding my mailbox with reasons as to why old versions of ProDOS
do this! :-) )

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

dredick@pro-tcc.cts.com (Darrin Redick) (03/07/90)

If all he deleted was the file, then all you need is Copy II Plus, or some
utility that is capable of un-deleting the file.  If the disk has not been
written to in that time, the file is still recoverable.  However, if the disk
HAS been written to, then there is a good chance that some part of the file
got overwritten.  If that is the case, then the file is not recoverable.  It
might be, but it would be a big jumble at best.

|                                   |                                        |
|        US Mail:                   |                                        |
|                                   |  ProLine: dredick@pro-tcc              |
| Darrin Redick                     |  Internet: dredick@pro-tcc.cts.com     |
| 2966 McGuffey Rd.                 |  UUCP: crash!pro-tcc!dredick           |
| Columbus, Ohio  43224-4136        |  ARPA: crash!pro-tcc!dredick@nosc.mil  |
|                                   |                                        |
|___________________________________|________________________________________|
|        "Best Speed Scotty..." -- Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan     |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

sbennett@pro-novapple.cts.com (Stephen Bennett) (03/16/90)

>> By the way, I haven't been able to undelete successfully in Copy II
>> Plus for ANYTHING ProDOS, in a long time.  ...
>> ...  But has anyone been able to make it work?

Copy II+ has always done quite well for me with Undeleting files, from version
4.something (the first version I tried), up to version 8.3, which is the
version I'm now using...

There is one minor matter you must make sure of to be able to undelete a file
-- the blocks that the file were (are) occupying must not have been written
over...  Try deleting a test file, then undeleting it immediately without any
writing to disk in between...  if there is any writing to disk, you run the
risk of having part or all of the file being written over, and in that case,
Copy II+ will not be able to "resurrect" the file...  you'll have to go to
stronger medicine, such as Bag of Tricks...  :)
Good luck with it!

proline: pro-novapple!sbennett
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!sbennett
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!sbennett@nosc.mil
Internet: sbennett@pro-novapple.cts.com

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (03/18/90)

From article <10920.netnews.info-apple@pro-novapple>, by sbennett@pro-novapple.cts.com (Stephen Bennett):

> By the way, I haven't been able to undelete successfully in Copy II
> Plus for ANYTHING ProDOS, in a long time.  ...
> ...  But has anyone been able to make it work?

If you are deleting from the finder and your are set up to allow
the finder to update itself to memory, then you are probably in
trouble since doing so will write a file to memory that can stomp on
the file you just deleated.

Apple should consider whether it is, "good news" to carry on with
their present methods.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IH 2A-227 (708) 979-9527

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/18/90)

In article <13679@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
-If you are deleting from the finder and your are set up to allow
-the finder to update itself to memory, then you are probably in
-trouble since doing so will write a file to memory that can stomp on
-the file you just deleated.

The trick is to first bring up the Finder's Preferences menu and
tell it NOT to save window information to disk.