[comp.sys.apple] Lifesaver

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (03/13/90)

Lifesaver was published by Microlab software.  They are out of
business.  Lifesaver uses its own timing routines for positioning the
head and reading a disk.  To my dismay it will not work on an Apple
IIGS.  For the older Apple II's it was the best thing going.

Seymour

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar10.182420.25010@santra.uucp> v38611d@taltta.hut.fi (Tero Korento) writes:
>Seems like you need LIFSAVER, a program which recovers damaged sectors by
>twisting and wrenching the drive head over and over until it gets a trace
>ever so small of whats been on the disk and then recovers it.
>It Actually recovered a disk I spilled coffee on without loosing a single bit!
>However I don't know where to get it from, maybe some local dedicated apple
>user could help you.

Cool, where can I get a copy?  Who was the author?  Are they
willing to accept payment in doughnuts?

Sounds Quite impressive.

If you wonder why I'm still rambling, if the mesage does not include more
new text than old text, the message is not sent by our mailer,
is it my fault if I write tersely?

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

eeta@yoda.byu.edu (03/19/90)

>...where can I get it?...

The program was originally put out by Microlab, but since they're gone, I don't
know where you can get it _legally_.  I do, however, happen to have my copy,
which works great, and I even cracked it so I'd be able to back it up...

Another great disk utility, by the way, is called "Dark".  I use is almost as
much as Lifesaver.

If you need more info on either, send me mail...

eeta@yoda.byu.edu                      Don Yacktman
eeta@spock.byu.edu                     25 Broadbent Hall
eeta@adam.byu.edu                      Provo, UT, 84064
eeta@frodo.byu.edu