[comp.sys.apple] Control Panel Puzzle under Sys 5.0x

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (03/10/90)

I noticed something strange on my machine ever since I installed system
5.0 and 5.0.2.  Everyso often the setting on the Keyboard repeat speed in
the control panel is set to max and the repeat delay is set to min.  I
will go in and reset these items and they'll be ok for a while but then
get reset.  I havn't figured out the cause as of yet.  I don't suspect the
battery as these are the onbly two parameters affected.  Has anyone else
seen thise problem?

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/10/90)

In article <1437@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I noticed something strange on my machine ever since I installed system
>5.0 and 5.0.2.  Everyso often the setting on the Keyboard repeat speed in
>the control panel is set to max and the repeat delay is set to min.  I
>will go in and reset these items and they'll be ok for a while but then
>get reset.

The cause that immediately comes to mind is Accolade's Test Drive II: The
Duel for the Apple IIGS.  This game, in order to faciliate its otherwise
unpleasant handling characteristics, sets the keyboard repeat speed to
Maximum and the repeat delay to minimum.  Annoying, isn't it?
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS
// Infinitum!   // Infinitum!   // Infinitum!   // Infinitum!   // Inifinitum!

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (03/11/90)

In article <1437@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I noticed something strange on my machine ever since I installed system
>5.0 and 5.0.2.  Everyso often the setting on the Keyboard repeat speed in
>the control panel is set to max and the repeat delay is set to min.  I
>will go in and reset these items and they'll be ok for a while but then
>get reset.  I havn't figured out the cause as of yet.  I don't suspect the
>battery as these are the onbly two parameters affected.  Has anyone else
>seen thise problem?

Yes, I've seen this problem too - in my case, Test Drive II was the culprit -
for some stupid reason, it has to change these values in battery ROM, and
doesn't ever reset them.  It also turns keyboard buffering off.

Prince of Persia (a really slick //e game), when run on a gs, also sets
speed to slow and text color to white.  Since the program never uses the
text screen, and since there are status registers that can modify each
of these things w/o changing battery RAM, I have no idea why it does that.

Henry

>=============================================================================
>|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
>|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
>|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |
>=============================================================================

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (03/12/90)

In article <16727@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) writes...

>In article <1437@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>>5.0 and 5.0.2.  Everyso often the setting on the Keyboard repeat speed in
>>the control panel is set to max and the repeat delay is set to min.  I
>
>Yes, I've seen this problem too - in my case, Test Drive II was the culprit -
>
>Henry

That's probably it since my son has TDII (The Duel).

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (03/13/90)

On Sun, 11 Mar 90 06:29:06 GMT Henry Throop said:
>Yes, I've seen this problem too - in my case, Test Drive II was the culprit -
>for some stupid reason, it has to change these values in battery ROM, and
>doesn't ever reset them.  It also turns keyboard buffering off.

I downloaded SnowTerm 2.0 and tried it out - it seems to set the
Keyboard Translation to normal.  I really don't like that feature.
Looks like there are a few programs out there breaking the rules.

>---
>Henry Throop
>Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|* ProLine=>  pro-gsplus!jwankerl |*|         ...but they should be.  *|
\**********************************************************************/

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (03/14/90)

In article <1437@mountn.dec.com>, shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) says:

>I noticed something strange on my machine ever since I installed system
>5.0 and 5.0.2.  Everyso often the setting on the Keyboard repeat speed in
>the control panel is set to max and the repeat delay is set to min.  I
>will go in and reset these items and they'll be ok for a while but then
>get reset.  I havn't figured out the cause as of yet.  I don't suspect the
>battery as these are the onbly two parameters affected.  Has anyone else
>seen thise problem?
>
>=============================================================================
>|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
>|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
>|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |
>=============================================================================

Yeah, it happens to me every time I run Test Drive II.....

Mike

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (03/19/90)

	[Didn't include old articles - they were complaining about Test Drive
][ changing some of the battery RAM parameters]

	I'm particularly annoyed by behaviour like this, as it's really easy
to get around... You can do a GetBParam() (to save the old value(s)), then a
SetBParam() (to set the new ones), then call TOREADBR() (at $e1/0084) and
TOBRAMSETUP() (at $e1/0094) with the carry bit set (so as to not confuse the
OS, etc., by switching which slots are available) to "install" the new value.
Then call SetBParam() with the old values, and, voila!, you have 1) A set of
non-disturbed BRam values, and 2) A //gs set up like you want it, without
doing _anything_ illegal. I use this method for a project I'm finishing up
now to set the border color of the screen, without mucking about with
CLOCKCTL (which is easy enough, but quite definitely not legal).

	For the time being: I wrote a little utility called BRam (which I
distributed over comp.binaries.apple2) which lets you save your current
settings to a disk file, and then restores them with a temporary Init. This
should take care of the problem adequately. Someone else wrote a quite
similar program, but the value saving program is desktop based (seemed a
waste to me - mine just uses text), and lets you read as well as write the
value set. The archive sites should have it... Btw, the program was
designed for folks with dead or dying lithium batteries, but can be used when
programs modify the BRam when they're not supposed to, or to allow you to
bring "your" configuration to a //gs that you're dealing with on a temporary
basis (be polite, tho', and restore the old values...).
--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu