[comp.sys.apple] 65c802 asm and AMR 800K disk drive

buyse@convex.com (Russell C. Buyse) (03/15/90)

I am looking for a good assembler which will allow me to assemble 65c802
code on my Enhanced Apple IIe.  I am aware of Merlin 8/16, but am not
familiar with its limits or its capabilities, and would like to hear from
someone who has used it or any other assembler, particularly if he/she
has used it to assemble code for the 65c802.  Specifically, I would like
to know about memory requirements, speed, ease of use, flexibility, and
cost of the assemblers available.

On a different topic, I have noticed ads in Nibble and InCider magazine
for American Micro Research's 800K disk drive, which is supposed to be
usable on an Apple IIe with what I believe they call their "C3"
controller card.  Does anyone have one of these drives?  What is the
quality of the drive compared to the Apple and Laser offereings?  Are
they exactly like the Apple 3.5 in their operation, or are they more like
the smart-but-not-perfectly-IIGS-compatible UniDisk 3.5's?  Upward
compatibilty to the IIGS is desirable.  I am considering buying such a
drive for the greater floppy storage and would like to make an informed
purchase.

Follow-ups to comp.sys.apple or to me at buyse@convex.COM.

Russell C. Buyse - DV 32
CONVEX Computer Corporation
P.O. Box 833851
Richardson, TX  75083-3851

buyse@convex.COM -or- convex!buyse

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (03/20/90)

In article <100597@convex.convex.com> buyse@convex.com (Russell C. Buyse) writes:
>I am looking for a good assembler which will allow me to assemble 65c802
>code on my Enhanced Apple IIe.  I am aware of Merlin 8/16, but am not
>familiar with its limits or its capabilities, and would like to hear from
>someone who has used it or any other assembler, particularly if he/she
>has used it to assemble code for the 65c802.  Specifically, I would like
>to know about memory requirements, speed, ease of use, flexibility, and
>cost of the assemblers available.

Orca/M handles 6502, 65C02 and 65C802/816 opcodes.  You can set an
assembler directive to enable or disable each set of extensions even within
the same file (so that error messages are given if you accidently use a
special opcode in the wrong area of your code).

Orca/M is ProDOS-based, and therefore requires a 64K Apple (although it
performs much faster with a RAM disk).  If you are a long time user of
Merlin, you will probably have a bit of trouble getting used to their
assembler directives (and quirks, like all accumulator implied opcodes
require A as the operand instead of allowing a blank).  Flexibility is
optimum, because you can compile separate modules and link them.  Support
is even provided for linking in other languages (I have Small C).

I paid $70 back when TechAlliance was APDA.

>On a different topic, I have noticed ads in Nibble and InCider magazine
>for American Micro Research's 800K disk drive, which is supposed to be
>usable on an Apple IIe with what I believe they call their "C3"
>controller card.  Does anyone have one of these drives?  What is the
>quality of the drive compared to the Apple and Laser offereings?  Are
>they exactly like the Apple 3.5 in their operation, or are they more like
>the smart-but-not-perfectly-IIGS-compatible UniDisk 3.5's?  Upward
>compatibilty to the IIGS is desirable.  I am considering buying such a
>drive for the greater floppy storage and would like to make an informed
>purchase.

According to AMR, the C3 card is a Laser UDC that has been modified to
work with their drive.  I was looking for a different card than the UDC,
but AMR basically told me no luck - it's the same thing.

The AMR 800K 3.5" drive is the only third party drive that is fully
compatible with the Apple 3.5 Drive - this is according to Ohio Kache
Systems who have worked with several Apple ][ drives interfaced to their
Kache card.

>Russell C. Buyse - DV 32

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP