[comp.sys.apple] Brand Label Rags

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (03/21/90)

Todd P. Whitesel, and numerous others, write:

> We think our Mac's are swell, and if you savage Apple II users try to
> suggest otherwise, we're gonna tell.

The first point to swallow is that this is the premier discussion area for the
Apple II computer. If you don't understand that, or like it, go someplace else
to hang out.

The second point is that y'all are attacking over a lot of issues that nobody
questions -- that nobody has questioned, if you'll reread the posts you
responded to much too quickly.

I use the Macintosh every day; I use the Apple II every day; I use the IBM
every day; and two or three mainframes. What I find is that the Macintosh has
convinced a whole bunch of marginally computer literate people that they're
going to become eloquent and artistic as soon as they get one of these
machines. The reality is that it still takes innate talent and several years
worth of study to become artistic, and most of these people don't even need to
worry about eloquent. Eloquent is out of reach for them, Mac or no.

A Mac is a tool that can let you do top-quality graphic design. I've used it
to help create award-winning page designs. But unless you have a very
sophisticated Macintosh, you do not have the power to do a capable job with
the other more mundane aspects of computing. It isn't good at math -- like it
or not. Yes, you can spend $1200 for a math coprocessor, but I spent $229 for
a IIGS math coprocessor that runs faster. Yes, you can do sound, but I do
better sounds with a IIGS with no enhancement board. Yes, you can do graphics,
but you'd better plan for grey-scale, and you'd better plan for a half-dozen
possible screen resolutions, since somebody neglected the programmer in this
all-important subject area.

I think somebody even went on the attack over the Mac user interface. Yep,
it's easy, and nope, the Mac didn't pioneer it. If you'll read your
newspaper's business page, you'll discover that that interface likely came
from Xerox, as attested to by a pending lawsuit.

There's nothing better than a Macintosh for publishing. And there's nothing
better than a IIGs for low-cost, general-interest computing. History may not
agree, since Apple isn't showing signs of being able to support -- gasp -- a
fragmented product line (anybody heard from AMC or Coca-Cola on this subject
lately?), but that will never change the facts.

One last thing. I didn't mean any insults with the bit about an
unsophisticated user base being unable to optimize the situation. What I meant
by that was that more established computers such as the Apple II enjoy the
presence of a number of highly sophisticated assembly language programmers who
regularly get more from the platform than it was actually meant to deliver.

Some kid at Apple was telling me recently how he'd grown up with the
Macintosh. He went on to reveal an abyssmal lack of knowledge in his purported
field of excellence -- telecommunications -- and it really got me to thinking.
What is this Macintosh? The USA Today of technology? "We're gonna give you
just enough information and power so that you can be ignorant about
everything. And we'll package it real well, so you can look good in your
facade of knowledge."

Please, no more mail on this subject. You either understand or you disagree.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy          | AOL: JOEA17
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil | Clever comment
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com        | goes here.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/22/90)

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) writes:

>Todd P. Whitesel, and numerous others, write:

>> We think our Mac's are swell, and if you savage Apple II users try to
>> suggest otherwise, we're gonna tell.

Sorry to nitpick-- I didn't say anything like that, I just didn't want you
falsely reaming the Mac. I have a GS but I use Macs here at Caltech a lot
and I like them too. For my own computer I prefer the GS because it suits me
better, but that's not the point.

I was getting fed up with all the unjustified machine bashing, and I shouldn't
have blasted your post right away.

>The first point to swallow is that this is the premier discussion area for the
>Apple II computer. If you don't understand that, or like it, go someplace else
>to hang out.

Fine, it's just that the future of this wonderful but very slighted machine
is in precarious question right now, and there are still some idiots who engage
in hopelessly unrealistic "such and such a machine is useless" wars -- that's
what started it all and (admit it) your original post was pretty inflammatory
though you've been more than reasonable since.

>The second point is that y'all are attacking over a lot of issues that nobody
>questions -- that nobody has questioned, if you'll reread the posts you
>responded to much too quickly.

True. I admit I did some of that.

[ Reality vs. Mac users' perceived knowledge of computers deleted ]

Very true. Point is, they can get useful stuff done without knowing all the
real details. I think that's great, but I agree it's pretty sad when they
think that's all there is to it. Remember, to a fair number of people a
computer is still a magic item and being able to do something really neat with
it that easily amazes them. These are the people the Mac was made for.

[ stuff that can be done on the GS better than on the Mac and for cheaper ]

I agree that the GS sounds better, but the point is most Mac users are paying
for the other stuff and simple stereo suits them just fine. In fact many Mac
users would never use the full capability of the ensoniq so why should they
pay for it? Computers need to have different features because the people who
use them have different needs.

I disagree about the FPE being faster than a Mac coprocessor. I have a hard
time believing this, unless the Mac software used was really inefficient.
The Mac CPU was designed to go direct to the coprocessor but your GS has to
use a memory mapped interface. Please substantiate or clarify this.

[ about xerox and the mac interface, we all know the story ]

Nobody argues about that. Xerox made the mistake of waiting too long to
file; they don't stand a chance five years after the fact.

>There's nothing better than a Macintosh for publishing. And there's nothing
>better than a IIGs for low-cost, general-interest computing. History may not
>agree, since Apple isn't showing signs of being able to support -- gasp -- a
>fragmented product line (anybody heard from AMC or Coca-Cola on this subject
>lately?), but that will never change the facts.

I couldn't agree with you more.

>One last thing. I didn't mean any insults with the bit about an
>unsophisticated user base being unable to optimize the situation. What I meant
>by that was that more established computers such as the Apple II enjoy the
>presence of a number of highly sophisticated assembly language programmers who
>regularly get more from the platform than it was actually meant to deliver.

True. But Apple is losing a lot of their II market to the Amiga and the PC
and many of these people are not coming back. This is not because of any
inherent deficiency in the II itself -- it's because we didn't have powerful,
faster CPU's soon enough, it's because Apple didn't realize that they still
needed to promote it or take a direct hand in its development because Motorola
was dropping new Mac-able chips into their waiting hands and Apple was waiting
Bill Mensch to do the same, it's because Apple's been so hard pressed getting
the Mac into fighting stance against IBM and forgot about their home markets
to the point where the competition has gained an advantage in them which may
or may not last --

But it has NEVER been because the Apple II or any other machine was 'useless'
for anything. When you actually get into the engineering of these things it
becomes painfully obvious how useful ANY computer is, and how optimizing a
machine to better provide specific things is the secret to success in a given
market.

Except the Apple II was never optimized for anything in particular -- and that
is where its strength has always been. What I want to see them do is re-work
each subsystem so the result is a machine that does a lot of specific things
pretty well but at a lower price, so you grab the market of people who want
a cheap general purpose system and not MIPS or Mega anything. There is still,
and will always be, a market for such a machine; if Apple doesn't exploit it
then somebody else eventually will.

This, folks, is the driving force behind the //f, and the reason why I still
like my no-longer-competitive Apple II.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu