[comp.sys.apple] Dos 3.3 Question

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (03/13/90)

I pulled down a DOS 3.3 application from AmericaOnline last night and
unpacked it to a DOS 3.3 formatted disk with shrinkit and all went fine.
The program is not self starting.  The disk will boot and then give a
mesasge file not found.  There's a "HELLO" file on the disk and loading it
and running it causes the application to run fine.

Question how do I specify that I want the "HELLO" program to be executed
at startup.  If you couldn't guess, I hardly ever use DOS 3.3 so I have
ZERO documentation on it.

Thanks...Chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

UN106335@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (03/14/90)

Chris, use copyII+ or whatever you have.  Look for the command change boot
program.  Select it then when it ask, select hello as the new boot program.
                                               Chaz

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/14/90)

> Also, if you have a DOS 3.3 system disk handy, there is a file on there
> .I cant remember the name of it, I think it's MUFFIN that will also
> change the name of the boot file within the DOS image.

The name of this program is MASTER CREATE.  It should be on the DOS 3.3
System Master.  It will (among other things) let you specify the name of the
startup program.

Yet another alternate approach....

If you have a program which allows you to copy DOS 3.3 files, you can boot up
any copy of DOS 3.3, get a blank disk, put it in, and type

INIT HELLO

This will format the disk for DOS 3.3, and place a copy of DOS on the disk,
automagically configured to run the BASIC program named "HELLO" when it boots.
Then copy all the files from your program disk to the newly formatted one and
voila!

Hope this helps.....

--rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

jacques@enovax.dec.com (Norman Jacques) (03/14/90)

>Question how do I specify that I want the "HELLO" program to be executed
>at startup.  If you couldn't guess, I hardly ever use DOS 3.3 so I have
>ZERO documentation on it.

Load the file into the system as if you were going to run it. Then get a new
disk, place into the disk drive and type INIT hello. This will format the disk
and place a copy of whatever in memory as the hellp program.

*                                                                              *
* Norman Jacques  	    DEC EASYNET.    ENOVAX::JACQUES                    *
* DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORP.   INTERNET.   DECWRL::"JACQUES@ENOVAX.ENET.DEC.COM"  *
* ENFIELD, CT. 06082		                                               *
*                                                                              *

eeta@yoda.byu.edu (03/15/90)

> ... how do I specify that I want the "HELLO" program to be executed
> at startup. ...

There's more than one way.  The simplest method is to the the program
call "MASTER CREATE" on the DOS 3.3 system master disk, assuming, of course,
that you have access to the disk.  This program will re-write DOS 3.3 to
disk tracks 0-2.  Since that is where the boot-up program's name is stored,
rewriting these tracks will fix the problem.

Another method, for the courageous, is to use a sector editor to change the
name, but I don't recall the exact sector number offhand; it's somewhere on
track 2.

I also have a program I wrote which saves the current image of DOS in memory
out to disk.  I don't have it handy right now, or I'd post it.  I use it
to change boot names AND the filetype of the boot program (A, B, T).  In fact,
it was originally written to combat several Apple ][+ viruses running around
my old high school (released by a rather un-benign acquaintance..).

If you need any more info, let me know. (I don't have any reference sources
handy at the moment to give you all the details...)

drew@pro-houston.cts.com (Andrew Freeman) (03/16/90)

Also you can type init filename.  Thats also specifies the boot file.  The
best way to do this is to get Copy II+ any version and you can set the boot
file.  I used this program in the archaic days of Dos 3.3

Andrew

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!drew          | Despair sends a certain calm A vague |
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!drew@nosc.mil | sense of relief.  Released from all  |
INET: drew@pro-houston.cts.com        | our longings.  Silently we'll sleep  |
Silicon Temple (713) 721-8620            Jim Matheos / Fates Warning

NU156266@NDSUVM1.BITNET (03/22/90)

Another method to change your bootfile program name BEFORE init'ing your
disk is to do the following...

]POKE 40514,XX

If XX = 52, DOS will attempt to BRUN the startup file, if XX = 20, DOS
will attempt to EXEC the startup file.

Now... type

]INIT <FILENAME>

Now - take your favorite copy program out (FID if nothing else is handy)...
and copy over your BIN or TXT file that you want to be started first
and replace the original file (DOS will always place the current Applesoft
program in memory as the startup file).

Another method, though messier, if you're good with a sector editor, and
don't want to start formatting other disks, is to make your changes directly
to the DOS on the disk.  Note that this will only work for sure with
unmodified versions of DOS 3.3, and is not guaranteed to work with Beagle
Bros. ProntoDOS or any other of the mutant DOS that were marketed.

The boot filename will be found on track $01, sector $09, starting at
byte $75.  Note that these addresses are in Hex - and the filename extends
for 30 characters I believe.

The DOS command that will be executed on the startup filename will be found
at track $00, sector $0D, byte $42.  The values to be found there are
$06 - RUN  the startup file
$34 - BRUN the startup file
$14 - EXEC the startup file

That should do it.  I believe this same procedure MIGHT work for ProntoDOS
(you'd have to look at location $9E42 on a normal ProntoDOS disk and make
sure that value is equal to $06 for a normal BAS start file) - but the
filename to be started is found in some other place.  Send E-mail and I'll
get back to all on that.

Sorry about all the technical-ness of this - not to mention the length...

Becky...  nu156266 @ ndsuvm1

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (04/09/90)

> Okay, I was dissassembling the SEEKABS routine in the DOS 3.3 code that seeks
> the read/write head and it appears that DOS 3.3 has the capability of seeking
> and writing to half tracks as well as full tracks. I was wondering what the
> reason for this was, and does this fact slow down disk access? To read a full
> track, SEEKABS must be called in a loop twice, essentially seeking a double
> half track to yield a full track, which seems to be wasteful, unless The Woz
> originally had plans of formatting or using half tracks and then abandoned it
> I wanted to know if anyone knew why this was done in this way.

The stepper motor in the Disk II and similar drive mechanisms is capable of
moving on QUARTER-tracks.  But the read/write head is not sensitive enough to
be able to use the fractional tracks AND the normal tracks... there is too
much crossover between them.

Many copy-protection schemes, though, would use half tracks by, for example,
writing data to track 16, track 17.5, and track 19, eliminating the crossover
from adjacent half-tracks but effectively hiding the data on the half-track
from less sophisticated copy programs....

--rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)