[comp.sys.apple] laser 128

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/30/86)

The Laser 128 is heavily supported by Central Point Software (Copy
II+), in fact if you buy it through them , they give you Copy II+.

I've had mine about 9 months, and the only real problem is the keyboard.
The keytop legends are printed on, not molded into the plastic. As a
result, the R, T, and RETURN legends are nearly worn off. Some of the
keys are a bit sticky if you hit them off-center.

But if you can live with a less than perfect keyboard, BUY IT! The only
program I've had trouble with was a Beagle Bros. utility (I think it was
Double-Take), but that is no big surprise with the wierd things the
Beagles do with their code.

It is half the price of the Apple and gives you a numeric keypad, and a
parallel printer port ("slot" 1 is switchable between serial &
parallel).

The internal drive is the quietest I've ever (not) heard, far better
than the IIc! The Laser 128 also gives you one slot on the left side of
the machine. An expansion box is availible that will give you two
independent slots (5 & 7).

Again, the keyboard is the worst feature, but the price and other
goodies make it a great machine.

"The Admiral is well aware of the regulations..."

Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
{ihnp4, decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
560 Arapeen Drive  Salt Lake City, Utah 84108  (801) 582-5847

infoapple@pro-colony.UUCP.UUCP (09/29/87)

I would be careful with the Laser 128.  Ever wonder how they tell when the
expansion box is connected?  Well, on the pin that is supposed to have
_-5 volts_, guess what the Laser 128 has?  It has _+5 volts_.  Enough to fry
an unsuspecting card plugged into that slot.  And they have said that they
will not change it.  So, beware before you plug anything into a Laser 128,
because you could blow it up!

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
INET: pro-colony!dale@pro-sol.cts.com
proline: [ pro-carolina  pro-party  pro-sol ] dale@pro-colony
pro-colony :-> 1 214 370-7056 - 300/1200 - 24 hrs

D7314@OLY.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Patrick Ryan) (06/18/88)

Hello gang.

    I'm thinking about getting either a Laser 128 or 128 EX, and would
appreciate any and all feedback you have about either system.  Specifically:

1.)  What is the difference between the two systems?
2.)  Are there any massive software or hardware incompatibilities that
I should know about.

Please respond to me to the addresses below, and I will post any interesting

Patrick Ryan                  BitNet:   d7314@uwavm
a.k.a. Chaos                  Internet: d7314@oly.acs.washington.edu
                              U.S. Snail: 20318 22nd Ave. N.E.
                                          Seattle, Wa. U.S.A.
                                               98155

Phone #: (206) 367 - 3955

Consultant:  Academic Computing Services,
             University of Washington

My views, profound as they may be, do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer or of any other sentient life-form in the universe!

>    I'm thinking about getting either a Laser 128 or 128 EX, and would
>appreciate any and all feedback you have about either system.  Specifically:
>
>1.)  What is the difference between the two systems?

 Mainly the EX has an "accelerated" mode (Zip chip speed - 3.8 MHz if
 I remember rightly).  There may be some other "bells and whistles,"
 Central Point's literature pretty much covers it.

>2.)  Are there any massive software or hardware incompatibilities that
>I should know about.

 From what I've been reading on this list, the Laser's serial port does
 not support interrupts (as does a real Super Serial Card).  If that is
 so, the some very nice public domain communications software (Kermit for
 the Apple II) won't work entirely satisfactorily, and some rather nice
 (and not too expensive) shareware programs (ZLink, TIC) won't work
 at all.

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

ccasths@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Hinckley) (06/21/88)

In article <8806190153.aa00931@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>2.)  Are there any massive software or hardware incompatibilities that
>>I should know about.
> From what I've been reading on this list, the Laser's serial port does
> not support interrupts (as does a real Super Serial Card).  If that is
> so, the some very nice public domain communications software (Kermit for
> the Apple II) won't work entirely satisfactorily, and some rather nice
> (and not too expensive) shareware programs (ZLink, TIC) won't work
> at all.
>---------------------
>Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!
>            (subject to change without notice; void where prohibited)
>ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
>BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
>UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

I have been using a Laser128 for about two years now and have yet to find
a program I couldn't run on it.  I know there are programs that won't, but it
seems that most of the mainstream applications and games (as well as many of the
all but unheard of) run fine.  I have tried TIC and had no problems with it
(I have a Volksmodem1200).

+=======================================================================+
|Scott Hinckley - OCS User Assistant    AKA - Galaxy's End              |
|Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332                 |
|uucp: ...!gatech!pyr!ccasths                                           |
|ARPA: ccasths@pyr.gatech.edu                                           |
+=======================================================================+

SCP@cup.portal.com (06/22/88)

Here are the differences between the Laser 128 and the Laser 128EX
 - The EX has a triple speed processor - 1.0, 2.3, and 3.6 MhZ
 - The EX has a an extra 64K set aside for video I/O
 - The EX has an empty RAM board built-in with room for 1 Meg of 41256-120
    DRAMs
 - The EX retails for $100 more than the 128

I have used ProTERM on my EX and I have not had problems with characters
dropping at 1200 bps, but I cannot say for sure whether or not it's serial port
has interupts.  When bought from Central Point Software, or a CPS dealer, it
comes with the Universal Disk COntroller built-in.

My company sells them for $380 and $450.  Send me mail if you're interested.

                  Doug Granzow   sun!portal!cup.portal.com!scp

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/07/89)

An interesting fact is that the original Laser 128s, (the oldest)  had
a provision for a Z80 coprocessor, all the hardware, and the timing
signals already on  the board.  All a person had to do was buy a Z80
and install it (from the Laser tech. specs.).

However Laser never sold  the chips themselves, and the newer versions
lack this.

We could have a had a no-slot CPM card for $5!!!!!

But not enough demand  I suppose.

|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/09/89)

In article <8902061908.AA19635@wpi|  GREYELF@WPI.BITNET writes:
| An interesting fact is that the original Laser 128s, (the oldest)  had
| a provision for a Z80 coprocessor, all the hardware, and the timing
| signals already on  the board.  All a person had to do was buy a Z80
| and install it (from the Laser tech. specs.).
              [...]

| We could have a had a no-slot CPM card for $5!!!!!
|
| But not enough demand  I suppose.

Seems to me that a German Apple clone called the Basis 108 came with a CP/M
card pre-installed.  I suppose this could constitute a no-slot CPM card.

      [david]

--
======== David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI :::: The Stainless Steel Rat ========
FidoNet: 1:121/1 or 1:121/2            {decvax|att}!

chavez@cookie.dec.com (Dale - CXN ESDP) (02/09/89)

>An interesting fact is that the original Laser 128s, (the oldest)  had
>a provision for a Z80 coprocessor, all the hardware, and the timing
>signals already on  the board.  All a person had to do was buy a Z80
>and install it (from the Laser tech. specs.).
>
>+------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
>|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
>| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |

I have an older version of the Laser 128...how can I tell if it has
this capability?

Dale

maton@dvinci.USask.CA (Terry Maton) (02/10/89)

In article <8902090004.AA11636@decwrl.dec.com>, chavez@cookie.dec.com (Dale - CXN ESDP) writes:

> >An interesting fact is that the original Laser 128s, (the oldest)  had
> >a provision for a Z80 coprocessor, all the hardware, and the timing
> >signals already on  the board.  All a person had to do was buy a Z80
> >and install it (from the Laser tech. specs.).
>
> I have an older version of the Laser 128...how can I tell if it has
> this capability?
>
> Dale
	I have an older version Laser 128 as well, and mine came
	with a Z80 card in it.

	The way I checked was to get a CPM disk and try to boot it.
	It booted - therefore the card was there!

	I no longer have the same motherboard and no longer have
	the Z80 card.

	My Laser 128 was purchased in Canada and came through a
	different distributor than exists now.  It could have been
	their choice to have the Z80 card as standard.

	Terry
	U of S, Saskatoon

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/11/89)

The only way to tell if your computer has the provision for the Z80 chip
is to take the cover and radio  frequency shielding off.

This would  probably void the warranty.

I don't suggest trying to just put the chip in.  According to the docs it
would work, but I'd ask the people at Central Point or the nearest
center with technicians trained in the creation of the 128.

That is, it should work, but blowing a motherboard is a nasty
way to find out.  Any of the technical staff from Video Technologies
out there?

|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/12/89)

I just figured out how to access the 520 x 384 quadruple hi-res mode on
the Laser, has anyone figured out a way to use this mode for graphics
programs?
I don't know the memory partitions (yet).
|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/13/89)

It had the Z80 in it?????

Coooooollll....

Have you tried CPM software on it?

(Pardon please, but I tried sending to Terry Maton at the UoS in Canada,
 but had  no luck)

|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/13/89)

HHHHHHOOOLLLDDDDD  EVERYTHING!!!!

If you want to know if your laser has the Z80 card built in,
get a cpm disk and try booting it!!!!

It beats taking the cover off.

|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/20/89)

The quadruple hi-res mode on the Laser is pretty cool.
Its 560 (not 520 as I said before) by 384 dots.
Unfortunately a composite or rgb monitor will probably be necessary
due to the incredible amount of information constantly being
updated.  My monitor scans to 24 MHz,  but I think the quad mode
would work better on monitors above 28 MHz.  Otherwise the picture comes
out, but it has jitters.

You'll see what I mean if you try it.  It might be that  the monitor could be
adjusted for a multiple of the new frequency, but that just occurred to me
now.

To access the mode:
Read location $C024

To kill the jitters if they're starting to bother you:
Read location $C025

It is also entirely possible I have the two locations reversed,
as I'm not typing this from my computer.

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/27/89)

>  No, the Laser 128 doesn't have a Z80 in it.  Unless yours was specially
>  modified in some way.

>                                       Michael Steele
>                                       mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

>--
>Michael Steele         mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
>                       mikes@ncsuctix.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
>                       netoprms@ncsuvm.bitnet

Apparently Mike you  have neither read the technical specs for the Laser 128,
nor paid any  attention to the recent conversation on Bitnet with the many
people whose Laser came with the Z80 already installed.

Some of them have a no-slot Z-80 card installed, some have the provision
for a Z80 just without  the CPU, but this is only in older versions
of the Laser.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609
Who me?  I was in Holland buying drugs at the time.

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (03/23/89)

Dan Canfield writes:

>I have heard a lot of talk about the Laser 128 lately and I am wondering how
>good it really is.  I am thinking about investing in a dozen of them instead
>of the IIE.  I would appreciate any feed back I could get about them.

>I will specifically be using Appleworks and other ProDos programs and need to
>know if the Laser can handle it.  Also, any suggestions on where to get them
>at reasonable prices.  I have seen them advertised for around $400.

>Thanks,
>Dan Canfield

The Lasers are very compatible.  I've had problems with one card
that didn't work on my computer, a Cermetek 1200 modem.  I also
had problems with some old Scott Foresman (or was it Adams?)
text adventure games (ah the disks they're on are 8 years old..)
and I think it still doesn't like GPLE by Beagle Bros and Beagle
BASIC.  But out of the thousands of programs I've tried,
that's it.   (oops, almost forgot, it didn't like the last
version of Kermit I tried, I think it was 3.81).

I haven't tried the newest version of kermit on it, Proterm
is much better, and supports kermit protocol.

As for buying them, try mail ordering, don't buy from Sears,
they have some special version all their own thats not
like the rest of the Lasers on the market, and they're the
only ones that will fix them.  I have an original
version Laser 128, with a UDC card sitting out of the side,
inside a special thermoplastic shell for it my father made.

As for appleworks and prodos programs, they work fine
in general (with the exceptions listed above).

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL, send bug
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          reports, suggestions, cash,

P.S.  I help people too.
P.S.  I got my Laser from Programs Plus in Ct for $385 at the time.

davidbrierley@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (03/24/89)

     According to the promotional brochure I received for Applefest Boston in
the mail Laser Computer will be there to display its machines.  Its 's
interesting to think that Laser and Apple will both be under the same roof at
Applefest!

                                                  David R. Brierley

Internet: davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (01/16/90)

A frien d of mine who is a teacher has a Laser 128 with the 3.5 ROM.  She
has had no compatibility problems until recently.  She can't get the new
Mecc software (89-90) to run, and Children's Writing and Publishing Center
from The Learning Company won't work.  Also Steps to Comprehension won't
boot.  She gets errors saying that it needs 128K (it has 128K) or that an
80 Column card is needed (built in and enabled from the front panel switch).

Laser will sell her an upgrade to the 128EX, but the question is, will the
128EX do any better with these programs?  Laser wants $175 for the upgrade.
Any better prices out there?

Thanks for the help!

Rick Fincqher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan15.174852.4491@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>A frien d of mine who is a teacher has a Laser 128 with the 3.5 ROM.  She
>has had no compatibility problems until recently.  She can't get the new
>Mecc software (89-90) to run, and Children's Writing and Publishing Center
>from The Learning Company won't work.  Also Steps to Comprehension won't
>boot.  She gets errors saying that it needs 128K (it has 128K) or that an
>80 Column card is needed (built in and enabled from the front panel switch).
>
>Laser will sell her an upgrade to the 128EX, but the question is, will the
>128EX do any better with these programs?  Laser wants $175 for the upgrade.
>Any better prices out there?

The offer of an upgrade for $170 is excellent, she might want to consider
taking it, but if the programs don't run on a laser 128 with rom 3.5
it is not likely they will run on a 128ex.

If its legal you could send me a copy of one program and I could tell
you if it runs on a 128ex.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I've never tried those programs.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

hw547@leah.Albany.Edu (hw547) (04/10/90)

My sister-in-law is considering a Laser 128
for her 7 year old.
Is there a review published somewhere for me to read?

1) What is it compatible with?  Apple II, IIe, IIc?
2) Is it 40 col. or 80?  How good is the color monitor vs. mono?
3) What is the difference between the 128 and 128EX?
4) Are there other Apple II clones?
5) What is a good mail order store? price?

I will be reading this newsgroup for the next couple
of days for postings, but if this has been discussed
please send me your reply by mail.  Thanks.

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (04/11/90)

in article <2851@leah.Albany.Edu>, hw547@leah.Albany.Edu (hw547) says:

> My sister-in-law is considering a Laser 128 for her 7 year old.
> Is there a review published somewhere for me to read?
I had a Laser 128EX and it was great.  I have since gotten a Trackstar
board that goes into an IBM PC and runs Apple // software.  I like it
much more because I am able to use the hard disk of the PC.  If you
would like some info on the Trackstar, let me know.

> 1) What is it compatible with?  Apple II, IIe, IIc?
Pretty much all of these.

> 2) Is it 40 col. or 80?  How good is the color monitor vs. mono?
Both.  I got a Thompson RGB color monitor for $250 and it worked wonderfully.
There is a color/mono switch on the Laser that will kill the color burst
signal when a mono program is running on a color monitor.  (ie. Publish It!)

> 3) What is the difference between the 128 and 128EX?
The EX has a 3.6MHz accelerator, 1 Mb memory exapansion board, and one other
feature which escapes me.  Maybe it was the ability to handle 3.5" disks.

> 4) Are there other Apple II clones?
The Franklins are no longer made.  See my initial comment on Trackstar.

> 5) What is a good mail order store? price?
I bought my Laser 128EX from Computer Direct.  Current prices are around the
$450 mark for the machine itself, which includes Copy II Plus, an invaluable
piece of software.
--
| fordke@ingr.com   OR   ...!uunet!ingr!fordke   OR   205-730-8614
| Micro Magic BBS  205-830-2362   IBM/Apple2/Trackstar/Fido/News
|_"...and the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush