[comp.sys.apple] Prosel 16

jschober@gnh-starport.UUCP (Joey Schober) (02/17/89)

dcw@athena.mit.edu ("David C. Whitney") writes:
>> Would you know if the utilities have been ported to GS/OS? I use the
>> utils such as block.warden and friends and not the program selector
>> itself.

Well, some of 'em have been ported.  Cat Doctor (now called "Utilities" and
blessed with several extra features) has been, File Finder has been, and the
Information Desk has been.  (ProSEL Editor has been, too, though you probably
wouldn't care, based on your comment...)  All of the aforementioned utilities
are also built into ProSEL itself -- they're loaded when you first call on
them, and remain resident thereafter.  (Unless memory gets purged).

Block Warden and Backup/Restore probably wouldn't get any benefit from GS/OS
versions, seeing as how they're completely block (not file) based operations.
BeachComber might or might not benefit from GS/OS, but it hasn't been
converted (yet).

FYI, the latest versions of ALL the ProSEL utilities -- the P8 versions -- are
included on the ProSEL 16 disk.

     Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400 baud]

ProLine.: pro-novapple!gnh-starport!jschober                ===================
UUCP....: crash!pro-novapple!gnh-starport!jschober          AppleLink: JSchober
InterNet: gnh-starport!jschober@pro-novapple.cts.com        C-Serve: 72727,2765
ARPA....: crash!pro-novapple!gnh-starport!jschober@nosc.mil ===================
SnailCom: 3528 Pinetree Terrace, Falls Church, VA.  22041

 * Sent by StarPort BBS at  2/17/89  4:19:19 PM

blochowi@cat51.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (02/21/89)

	Even though the utilities you mentioned were block oriented, they would
quite definitely have one MAJOR advantage: ProDOS 8 can only deal with two
partitions per HD (unless you put the SCSI card in slot 5, which isn't useful
if you ever want to use your 3.5" drive at the same time as the HD on a //gs),
whereas GS/OS can deal with, what, 7? Also, I can imagine that Beach Comber
would have significantly more memory, and would therefore be quicker...

		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."

jschober@gnh-starport.UUCP (Joey Schober) (03/05/89)

Jason Blochowiak <puff!cat51!blockowi%speedy.wisc.edu@BRL.MIL> writes:

>> whereas GS/OS can deal with, what, 7? Also, I can imagine that Beach Comber
>> would have significantly more memory, and would therefore be quicker...

Y'know, I personally wouldn't WANT Beach Comber to use all that much memory.
If it holds too much information in RAM at any time, in the event of a glitch
of some sort, your hard disk would be totally scrambled.  At least when BC
writes to the disk fairly regularly, if something goes really wrong, you've
(maybe!) got a (somewhat) usable volume... (you'll probably have to recover it
from backups ANYWAY in that event, butttt...).  Anyway, BC 32 requires a GS as
it is, if memory serves...

BTW, the latest version of ProSEL/16 (5.0 or maybe 5.1) has a built-in
incremental backup/restore utility.  I haven't downloaded the upgrade from 4.0
from ALink PE yet, but it's supposed to be quite good.

       Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400]

ProLine: gnh-starport!jschober@pro-novapple
I-Net..: gnh-starport!jschober@pro-novapple.cts.com
ALinkPE: JSchober

 * Sent by StarPort BBS at  3/ 6/89 1

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/22/89)

I just received my copy of ProSel 16 from Glen Bredon.  It looks even
more fantabulous than the press reports.  However, it came with the
following ominous warning:

"It seems that teh optimizer and perhaps the volume repair in ProSel-16
will not work with the Apple SCSI card or Apple SCSI driver.
Considerable circumstantial evidence points to the SCSI driver as the
probably culprit.  Regretfully, this will probably not be fixed in the
near future unless Apple will release the source to the SCSI driver for
examination; an unlikely event.  This does not affect the 8-bit programs
Beach Comber 32 and Mr.  Fixit, which work fine on all HD's"

Can anyone shed any more light on that?

TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa

p.s.  -- ProSel 16's documentation comes in files of type $BF -- GS/OS
calls that "GS/OS Documentation File" -- anyone know anything about that
either?  first I've seen one.  anything special in them?

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (04/24/89)

> I just received my copy of ProSel 16 from Glen Bredon.  It looks even
> more fantabulous than the press reports.  However, it came with the
> following ominous warning:
>
> "It seems that teh optimizer and perhaps the volume repair in ProSel-16
> will not work with the Apple SCSI card or Apple SCSI driver.
> Considerable circumstantial evidence points to the SCSI driver as the
> probably culprit.  Regretfully, this will probably not be fixed in the
> near future unless Apple will release the source to the SCSI driver for
> examination; an unlikely event.  This does not affect the 8-bit programs
> Beach Comber 32 and Mr.  Fixit, which work fine on all HD's"
>
> Can anyone shed any more light on that?

I have been using version 5.1 of ProSel-16 for some time.  This
version does not have any disk optimizer or volume repairer built
into ProSel-16.  However, I have been using both Beach Comber 32 and
Mr. Fixit (which are part of the ProSel-8 programs) without any
problems so far.  I have a Chinook 40 meg hard drive with an Apple
SCSI card, so I am somewhat mystified by the warning.  What is the
version number of the ProSel-16 that you have?

Before getting a hard drive, I used ProSel-8 with 3.5" disks for
several years.  I have always been very impressed with the quality of
Glen Bredon's software.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/24/89)

It's version 6.7, copyright 1989.  The ProSel-8 parts seem to work
perfectly -- just used Mr.  Fixit to clean up some bad dates and a funny
directory or two, Backed it up, and ran Beach Comber 32 -- came back
from seeing a movie and everything was fine.  (I didn't use the
ProSel-16 backup because it won't handle large sparse files, of which I
have one, but the ProSel-8 one will since its just a block-level rather
than file-level backup.)

TMPLee@Dockmaster.arpa

mel@pro-pac.cts.com (Mel Miyaji) (06/24/89)

Does anyone know anything about ProSel 16?  I'm interested but know nothing
about it.  If anyone has used it I would appriciate any comments on it.
Or does it exist at all?  I've seen ProSel listed at $40 but nothing about
ProSel 16.
                                                Thanks
                                                Mel

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (06/25/89)

> Does anyone know anything about ProSel 16?  I'm interested but know nothing
> about it.  If anyone has used it I would appriciate any comments on it.
> Or does it exist at all?  I've seen ProSel listed at $40 but nothing about
> ProSel 16.

In my opinion, ProSel is a "must have" program particularly if you
own a hard drive (but I found it very useful even before I got a hard
drive).  If you have a //gs, I would recommend ProSel-16 which is
$60.00 and includes ProSel-8 as well.  Both are only available
directly from the author:

     Glen E. Bredon
     521 State Road
     Princeton, NJ  08540

Glen is often away during the summer months (June 1 through September
1) so you may experience a delay in ordering now.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.cts.com (Mark Lensenmayer) (10/27/89)

What is the current status of ProSEL 16?  I've heard Glen has gone through
quite a few revisions lately, and I don't want to get my update until things
have settled down.

Mark Lensenmayer          Pro-Line:  mlensenmayer@pro-tcc
Columbus Public Schools   Internet:  mlensenmayer@pro-tcc.cts.com
52 Starling Street        UUCP:  crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!mlensenmayer@pro-tcc
Columbus, OH  43215       (614)365-5101
---------------------  Yikes, and away!!!!  ------------------------------

jib@prism.TMC.COM (10/30/89)

RE: Prosel-16

The current version is 8.0 which seems to work fairly well without any
known major bugs.  I'd consider it fairly stable, but I'm sure Glen will
continue doing updates as he thinks of new features or hears of bugs.  I
recommend getting the current version and upgrading when you feel the need
-- you don't need to download every upgrade -- I ususally wait a few
versions UNLESS a new version fixes a bug that is likely to cause me
problems or has a new feature I want.

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (10/31/89)

>The current version is 8.0 which seems to work fairly well without any
>known major bugs.  I'd consider it fairly stable, but I'm sure Glen will
>continue doing updates as he thinks of new features or hears of bugs.  I
>recommend getting the current version and upgrading when you feel the need

I'm new to Prosel.  Does Glen notify us of all updates or what.  I had
gotten V7.3 and a few weeks lated received V7.4 in the mail.

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

drew@pro-houston.cts.com (Andrew Freeman) (04/12/90)

I have noticed that prosel 16 updates will not work on a rom 03 gs.  When I
try to update my prosel disk it will say unable to decrypt or something to
that nature.  Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks.

Drew

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!drew          | Despair sends a certain calm A vague |
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!drew@nosc.mil | sense of relief.  Released from all  |
INET: drew@pro-houston.cts.com        | our longings.  Silently we'll sleep  |
                                         Jim Matheos / Fates Warning