[comp.sys.apple] Help

LB0POPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (04/22/87)

I have an Apple //C that I've had for 2.5 years and I recently have come
up with a couple of simple mechanical problems, one of which I hope can
be solved by someone out here without much difficulty.  My external 5.25
drive has recently gone out of wack and occassionally messes up a prodos
catalog (which kills the disk).  I feel that, since I haven't had to do
any work on my Apple, the problem is probably simple.  Does anyone know
how to aligh disk drives easily.

Thanks a lot

Lonny at      LB0POPER@BITNET

mw22#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Alan Wertheim) (04/23/87)

Re: "My external 5.25 drive has recently gone out of wack and occassionally
messes up a prodos catalog (which kills the disk)."

That's probably NOT a hardware.  There is a bug in ProDos 1.1.1 that will
trash track 0 (the catalog track) whenever the moon is full.  It has
something to with the new code that supports 3.5 inch disks.  A fix was
published in Open Apple a while back.  Until you get the fix, don't use
version 1.1.1.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22@cmuccvma
UUCP: ...!{seismo, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!mw22#

IWI870@DERRZE1.BITNET (09/26/87)

Date: 25 September 1987, 16:40:02 MEZ

From: Thomas Wedel              09131 / 857881       IWI870   at DERRZE1
      Informatik-Forschungsgruppe VIII
      Martensstrasse 3
      D - 8520 Erlangen

To:   INFO-APP at BRL

Help

IWI870@DERRZE1.BITNET.UUCP (09/27/87)

Date: 26 September 1987, 16:13:00 MEZ

From: Thomas Wedel              09131 / 857881       IWI870   at DERRZE1
      Informatik-Forschungsgruppe VIII
      Martensstrasse 3
      D - 8520 Erlangen

To:   INFO-APP at BRL

HELP
.

bill@zehntel.UUCP (Bill Ellis) (12/09/87)

Is there any way you can simulate a open-apple command on a apple ][+ with
a ramfactor card installed, other then the ones for appleworks ?

I bought a calander program that I liked very much and would like to use it
but I found that I need some open-apple cammonds to make it run. I am just
a novest programer but I am still learning. maybe there is something else
that I am missing an am not awear of it.

Any help would be greatly appreached.

THANKS in advance

Bill Ellis
ihnp4!sun!zehntel!bill

p.s. we all had to start someplace and then we learned.
.

schumann@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Christopher Schumann) (12/16/87)

In article <555@zehntel.UUCP>, bill@zehntel.UUCP (Bill Ellis) writes:
> Is there any way you can simulate a open-apple command on a apple ][+ with
> a ramfactor card installed, other then the ones for appleworks ?
> Bill Ellis
> ihnp4!sun!zehntel!bill

Yes.  The Apple keys are the same as the joystick buttons.  You can use
paddles as well.

Or you could make your own switch and put it in the game port.

Chris Schumann				schumann@puff.cs.wisc.edu

paulb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Paul Blumstein) (12/17/87)

In article <555@zehntel.UUCP> bill@zehntel.UUCP (Bill Ellis) writes:
>Is there any way you can simulate a open-apple command on a apple ][+ with
>a ramfactor card installed, other then the ones for appleworks ?

Easily done!  The open-apple and closed-apple correspond to joystick
buttons 1 & 2.
Paul Blumstein;Citicorp/TTI| Everyone is a 10 in some base numbering system.
Santa Monica, CA           +-------------------------------------------------
{philabs,trwrb,csun,psivax}!ttidca!paulb  or  paulb@ttidca.TTI.COM
DISCLAIMER:  My company automatically disagrees with everything I say.

tgm@xroads.UUCP (Sloan Tash) (12/23/87)

In article <1564@ttidca.TTI.COM>, paulb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Paul Blumstein) writes:
> Easily done!  The open-apple and closed-apple correspond to joystick
> buttons 1 & 2.

Actually, they're buttons 0 and 1. (You can read them with the PDL(0) or
PDL(1) commands).

TGM
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

kegan@parsely.UUCP (Ron Whittle) (12/30/87)

In article <370@xroads.UUCP> tgm@xroads.UUCP (Sloan Tash) writes:
-In article <1564@ttidca.TTI.COM>, paulb@ttidca.TTI.COM    ...tektronix!teksce!bucket!parsely!kegan
"If everyone profited from their mistakes, there would be a lot more
millionaires in the world"
"If everyone profited from their mistakes, there would be a lot more
millionaires in the world"

kegan@parsely.UUCP (Ron Whittle) (12/30/87)

   Sorry about that, in the last article, those numbers should have been
49249 and 49250 (Teach me to do hex conversions in my head :-)

--
Ron Whittle     kega    ...tektronix!teksce!bucket!parsely!kegan
"If everyone profited from their mistakes, there would be a lot more
millionaires in the world"

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/01/88)

OM
r 36

jrk@psueclb.BITNET (01/01/88)

FISIOUM2@IPRUNIV.BITNET (05/17/88)

Date: 16 May 1988, 10:41:12 ITA
From: Giovanni Janelli          (0521) 34007         FISIOUM2 at IPRUNIV
To:   INFO-APPLE at BRL

HELP

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (09/03/88)

>help
>send index

these commands don't work unless you send them to listserv@brownvm and not
to apple2-l@brownvm.

Chris

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (10/05/88)

TEK4014 Emulation!

  This does not exist on any GS program I have ever seen, and I need it
soonest.  This is why my favorite term program is Kermit.  It has the best
vt100 emulation I have seen (INCLUDING Proterm 2.0 demo'd by a friend) and is
free, thus I can save my cash until a genuine gs terminal program shows up.

  Attn: terminal program writers.  Come up with one that can handle good vt100
and Tek4014 and you can virtually write your own ticket.

  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me to such a beast if
it exists.

  Thanks all
                                       Scott
                                       SELLSWOR@HMCVAX

NU141537@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Dave Mueller) (11/13/88)

First question, where do I send all my comments/remarks/questions to?

Second question, I've got an apple //e.  I'd like to know what would be a good
modem/communications package.  I'd like to run at 2400 baud.  Less isn't no fun
!!!

I'll take any/all suggestions!
                                Dave Mueller  NU141537@NDSUVM1

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (11/18/88)

In article <8811151338.aa26736@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> NU141537@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Dave Mueller) writes:
>Second question, I've got an apple //e.  I'd like to know what would be a good
>modem/communications package.  I'd like to run at 2400 baud.  Less isn't no fun

If you have an AppleMouse //e, I would recommend MouseTalk (available
at all large software stores that have a good Apple selection).  It's
what I used on my //e and then on my IIGS.  There are other good
telecommunication products, and some freeware/shareware programs.

ma15@UNTVAX.BITNET (12/06/88)

I've asked this first question before but I'll ask it again.

Is it possible to read the analog to digital converter with TML pascal (stand
alone version) if so how do you do it.

2nd question, I've been trying to write a term program to use on my GS with
the GS serial port. How can I find out If a character is ready to be recieved
so I don't have to just calling READCHAR (which I doesn't work) again I
am using TML Pascal.

What I need is, is a serial port version of

If KEYPRESSED then
  read(ch);

thanks, Larry.

PS. I will not have access to this network from DEC 16th - JAN 16th so If
I ask this question again early next year, you know why.

Larry Michalewicz             Bitnet : MA15@UNTVAX
                              THENET : NTVAXB::MA15
Student of Computer Sci. at Internet : MA15%ntvaxb.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
The University of North Texas   SPAN : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::MA15

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (01/13/89)

Can someone tell me where I got this and
what it means?  I found this in an old directory
as I was cleaning it out and forgot where I got it.
I also forgot what it was.

		     Apple ][ Hardware Located in PCLRC
			    Last Updated: 8/5/87

Product					Manufacturer

Apple ][+ CPU				Apple Computer
Apple Disk ][				Apple Computer
Micro-Sci Disk Drive			Micro-Sci
Microsoft 16K RamCard			Microsoft Corp.
Parallel Printer Interface		Apple Computer
CCS 1710 Asynchronous Serial Interface	California Computer Systems
Micromodem ][				Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.
Disk ][ Interface Board			Apple Computer
Microsoft Z-80 Softcard 		Microsoft Corp.

Thanks
--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu  (archive at 128.163.128.6)

akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) (01/13/89)

In article <10891@s.ms.uky.edu>, aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) writes:
> Can someone tell me where I got this and
> what it means?  I found this in an old directory
> as I was cleaning it out and forgot where I got it.
> I also forgot what it was.
>
> 		     Apple ][ Hardware Located in PCLRC
> 			    Last Updated: 8/5/87
>
> Product					Manufacturer
>
> Apple ][+ CPU				Apple Computer
> Apple Disk ][				Apple Computer
> Micro-Sci Disk Drive			Micro-Sci
> Microsoft 16K RamCard			Microsoft Corp.

> Thanks
> --
> aash

It looks like a list of apple hardware from our PC Learning Resource Center
(PCLRC) at Purdue.  It looks a bit out of date.  Have no idea how you got it.
I guess it's possible other Universities might have centers nicknamed PCLRC?

Bruce

Bruce Cox         UUCP: akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu   BITNET: clone@purccvm.bitnet
Purdue University "Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

urt@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Allen Wilkinson) (02/15/89)

Sorry to do this but,

christer@cs.umu.se  how do I get mail to you.

The above address will not work please mail a message to me.

Urt
urt@nav.icst.nbs.gov

>Sorry to do this but,

* FLAME * You should be, info-nets@think.COM exists as a place to post
such questions!! (to other info-apple readers, that's simply FYI).

>christer@cs.umu.se  how do I get mail to you.

Try: mcvax!cs.umu.se!christer@uunet.uu.net
 or: christer%cs.umu.se@mcvax.bitnet

(the former is preferred from the Internet, I believe).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

mholtz@sactoh0 (Mark N. Holtz) (07/05/89)

I need some help. I am looking for a SYS program that would do the
following:

* Strip linefeeds from a text file
* Add linefeeds to a text file
* Convert control-J to control-M
* Convert control-M to control-J

Unfortunately, TEX 2.01 only strips line feeds, and I need the
other three functions because I call up a lot of citadels and a
UNIX system.

(And, if there is already a finished program, please send it to my
GEnie address. THANKS!!!)
--
         Mark A. Holtz          |AppleLink PE: Mark Holtz|I hate these 4-line
      7943 Sungarden Drive      |     GEnie: M.HOLTZ     |   limits for a

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (07/08/89)

> I need some help. I am looking for a SYS program that would do the
> following:
>
> * Strip linefeeds from a text file
> * Add linefeeds to a text file
> * Convert control-J to control-M
> * Convert control-M to control-J
>
> Unfortunately, TEX 2.01 only strips line feeds, and I need the
> other three functions because I call up a lot of citadels and a
> UNIX system.

The file 89-01118 on the APPLE2-L list server at the BITNET node
BROWNVM will do what you want.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

TAXMAN@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Mike Wommack) (07/20/89)

In article <5297@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, Tom Gamber <tgam@PRO-SAT.CTS.COM> writes:
> Please tell me where to find BBINSCII??? Thanks. tg

You could try getting the apple2-l archives at LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET. Thats
where I got my copy. They have many files for Apple.

Mike Wommack           HAsteMakesWasteNET: taxman@untvax
                       YouGottaBeKiddingNET: taxman@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
                       THEnet: ntvax::taxman

tgam@pro-sat.cts.com (Tom Gamber) (07/20/89)

From: TAXMAN@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Mike Wommack)
Newsgroups: info-apple
Subject: Re: HELP
Date: 19 Jul 89 19:49:26 GMT

In article <5297@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, Tom Gamber <tgam@PRO-SAT.CTS.COM> writes:
> Please tell me where to find BBINSCII??? Thanks. tg

You could try getting the apple2-l archives at LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET. Thats
where I got my copy. They have many files for Apple.

Mike Wommack           HAsteMakesWasteNET: taxman@untvax
                       YouGottaBeKiddingNET: taxman@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
                       THEnet: ntvax::taxman

jasona@pro-europa.cts.com (Jason Asbahr) (08/15/89)

I'd like be able to produce specific frequencies with my Apple speaker.
How can I do this?  (Assuming that I'm running at usual Apple speed and
programming in assembly.)

What would be most helpful is a program that will move up from the lowest
possible audio frequency to the highest that the Apple can make, printing the
frequency to the screen before each screech.  Possible, even if crude?

         Thanks,

             -Jason
-=-
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!jasona
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!jasona@nosc.mil
INET: jasona@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!jasona@psuvax1

                   "...for whom the Bell tolls..."

qii@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Peter Van Vleet) (05/04/90)

	Hello,

	I just recently began to explore the wonders of ftp sites
 and I was hoping that someone could possibly enlighten me on the
 fine art of downloading and uncompressing files for my GS.

		Many thanks in advance,

			Peter Van Vleet
			qii@mentor.cc.purdue.edu