[comp.sys.apple] mouse

doug@HCX.PSU.EDU (Doug Hughes) (09/01/89)

If I were to purchase an Apple mouse with interface card for my //e
and at some later date wanted to buy a IIGS, would I be able to use
this mouse without the interface card for that purpose?
	Doug Hughes
Bitnet: doug@psuhcx.bitnet 	Doug Hughes  > Junior Computer Engineer
Internet: doug@hcx.psu.edu                  <  Penn State University
UUCP: {gatech,rutgers}!psuvax1!psuhcx!doug   > Smithkline French R&D
More commonly: doug@ecl.psu.edu             <  presently

Disclaimer: My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/01/89)

In article <8908312039.AA01601@hcx.psu.edu> doug@HCX.PSU.EDU (Doug Hughes) writes:
>If I were to purchase an Apple mouse with interface card for my //e
>and at some later date wanted to buy a IIGS, would I be able to use
>this mouse without the interface card for that purpose?

Yes, but it would be pointless since the GS comes with a mouse that works
slicker than the AppleMouse //e.  I had both and my //e mouse stayed with
the //e when I gave it away.

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (09/01/89)

In article <10901@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <8908312039.AA01601@hcx.psu.edu> doug@HCX.PSU.EDU (Doug Hughes) writes:
>>If I were to purchase an Apple mouse with interface card for my //e
>>and at some later date wanted to buy a IIGS, would I be able to use
>>this mouse without the interface card for that purpose?
>
>Yes, but it would be pointless since the GS comes with a mouse that works
>slicker than the AppleMouse //e.  I had both and my //e mouse stayed with
>the //e when I gave it away.

No, you can't put the old mouse on the gs without the controller card.
The new one uses a different connector and is an ADB device internally.
If you are getting a motherboard upgrade to a gs, you would have to buy an
ADB mouse that plugs into the ADB port on the back of the gs; I don't believe
that the old mouse (in a slot) would be recognized by the gs.

Henry

nuwilken@ndsuvax.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (09/03/89)

In article <8908312039.AA01601@hcx.psu.edu> doug@HCX.PSU.EDU (Doug Hughes) writes:
>If I were to purchase an Apple mouse with interface card for my //e
>and at some later date wanted to buy a IIGS, would I be able to use
>this mouse without the interface card for that purpose?
>	Doug Hughes

Nope.  The gs uses an ADB mouse (Apple Desktop Bus).  It plugs directly into
the side of the keyboard (or directly into the back of the gs if you dont
use your keyboard :).  The gs also COMES WITH a mouse, so if you bought one
someday, you could just as well sell your mouse with your //e (assuming you
are selling it for an upgrade).

Scott

! Internet:  nuwilken@Plains.NoDak.EDU         AppleLink PE:  Wilken          !
! UUCP:      uunet!ndsuvax!nuwilken            GEnie Mail:    S.WILKEN1       !
! Bitnet:    NUWILKEN@NDSUVAX                  CompuServe:    75130,1571      !

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/03/89)

In article <12324@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Henry Throop) writes:
>No, you can't put the old mouse on the gs without the controller card.

Nobody said "without the controller card"!

>I don't believe that the old mouse (in a slot) would be recognized by the gs.

If you enable its slot (normally 4) via the control panel, it would be
accessible.  Whether or not the Finder, for example, would use it is a
separate question.  As I said, there is no point in it, since the GS
mouse comes standard and works better.  (It appears by default as a slot
4 mouse to software that is looking for an AppleMouse II, so existing
mouse-operated Apple //e software should continue to function okay.)

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (09/04/89)

In article <10916@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
[...]
>If you enable its slot (normally 4) via the control panel, it would be
>accessible.  Whether or not the Finder, for example, would use it is a
>separate question.
	Yes, the Finder, and all other software that goes through either
1) The Event manager (haven't seen a desktop program yet that doesn't), or
2) The mouse Firmware, will work with an AppleMouse ][. The programs that
don't work with it are the ones that go directly to the hardware (usually
for reasons of speed - this means games. Sorry, can't think of any offhand
that do this specifically) and avoid the firmware. The Event manager goes
through the firmware, which seems to be largely identical in terms of what
is available to an application (I'm sure it's guts are quite different).
	Reason I know this is my ADB mouse died on me awhile back (now my
ADB keyboard is dying on me :( ), and I still had my old mouse (from a ][+,
no less). I plugged it in, and it worked without any problems. One thing
about it, though: The "high-speed mouse" dealie didn't appear to affect the
AppleMouse ][, so I was stuck in one speed.
	Speaking of meeses: Does anyone know if someone makes an ADB cable
Y splitter? The one thing I _really_ hate about the ADB keyboard(s?) is that
the mouse is attached to the right side of it. Normally, this isn't a problem,
but when I program, I put the keyboard on my lap, roll my chair back a bit,
and lean back into it. This means that the mouse cord is hanging in space,
and every once and awhile, I'll move the wrong way, and it'll come flying off
my desk. I worry about the strain on the connectors.

--
--------8<------------------------------------------------------------8<--------
				jason@madnix.UUCP

davew@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Dave Welliver) (09/05/89)

writes:
>>>If I were to purchase an Apple mouse with interface card for my //e
>>>and at some later date wanted to buy a IIGS, would I be able to use
>>>this mouse without the interface card for that purpose?
>>
>>Yes, but it would be pointless since the GS comes with a mouse that works
>>slicker than the AppleMouse //e.  I had both and my //e mouse stayed with
>>the //e when I gave it away.

>No, you can't put the old mouse on the gs without the controller card.
>The new one uses a different connector and is an ADB device internally.
>If you are getting a motherboard upgrade to a gs, you would have to buy an
>ADB mouse that plugs into the ADB port on the back of the gs; I don't believe
>that the old mouse (in a slot) would be recognized by the gs.
>
>Henry

In fact, the //e card plugged into a GS does work, and is compatible with
most programs. I have found that one program does not work with the //e Mouse
Card, but I believe that it doesn't work due to sloppy programming. GS/OS
works fine with it, no problems at all.. I've been using my GS upgrade setup
for 3(?) years now, and it's been working out pretty good.. Now all I need
is a good RGB monitor... :-)

                                                Dave

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!davew
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!davew@nosc.mil
INET: davew@pnet51.cts.com

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (09/06/89)

In article <10901@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|In article <8908312039.AA01601@hcx.psu.edu> doug@HCX.PSU.EDU (Doug Hughes) writes:
|>If I were to purchase an Apple mouse with interface card for my //e
|>and at some later date wanted to buy a IIGS, would I be able to use
|>this mouse without the interface card for that purpose?
|
|Yes, but it would be pointless since the GS comes with a mouse that works
|slicker than the AppleMouse //e.  I had both and my //e mouse stayed with
|the //e when I gave it away.

Incorrect.  Unless there has been a change in the AppleMouse // card or mouse,
The AppleMouse // will only work with its card, or attached to the MOUSE/JOYSTICK
port on the Apple //c(+).

The Apple //gs comes with its owne ADB mouse (the same mouse as on the Mac SE and
Mac][.

If you want to get a mouse for your Apple //e now, you'll have to get the
AppleMouse //. When you get an Apple //gs, It will come with a mouse, so you won't
need to keep you AppleMouse // if you get rid of your Apple //e.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

krb@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (Ken Block) (09/08/90)

Could someone tell me how to use the mouse in my own software in
basic on a 2GS.