[comp.sys.apple] Ramkeeper

j_p@pro-lep.cts.COM (Jason Perez) (11/22/89)

  My last message left out some stuff, has anybody tried a Ramkeeper with a
GS-Ram card, and an Apple 1Mb card, and a card in Slot 7 (I have a PC
Transporter there).  Will this fit?  How 'bout adding the 2 Meg Expander on to
the GS-Rams Plus Card?  That would be 9 Megabytes!!  I believe the GS will
address up to 16 Mb.
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!j_p
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!j_p@nosc.mil
INET: j_p@pro-lep.cts.com

IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET (11/22/89)

Jason,

  You shouldn't have any problems with having a card in slot 7 as long as
you have a slot-mover (RAMKEEPER accessory) installed on the RAMKEEPER
card.  This 'Slot-Mover' basically moves the second slot on the RAMKEEPER
over about 2 to 3 inches.  In other words, wihtout it, you won't be able
to use slot 7 if you intend to connect two cards to the RAMKEEPER.

By the way, the 16 Meg idea works great.  I have to GS RAM Plus cards
with expanders and have found no problem with the setup with the
slot-mover.  However, I have found that I rarely need that amount of
memory, so I usually leave my Apple 1 Meg Card along with 1 fully
populated GS RAM Plus card in the GS.  It saves my GS from too much
wear, tear, & heat (Even though I save a system saver).

David William Wrage  a.k.a.  The Frenchman
 -'I don't have a nifty saying yet, but I'll think of one.....'

US Mail : 7140 Selby Road - Lot 109, Athens, Ohio  45701 (USA)
Userid  : IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET (Ohio University)

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/07/91)

        I just purchased an old AE Ramkeeper card today at my local apple
dealer and am having some trouble using it with my GS.  The card works
perfectly with my old Apple memory expansion card (with a full meg) but
crashes when loading GS/OS (and only then) when I install my standard
memory card, a GS Juice plus with two megs installed.  I am running with
ROM 01, an Innerdrive 40, Audio Animator, GS Juice+, and a Zip GSX at 9
mHz with a 64k cache.  If anyone can enlighten me as to the causes of the
crashes, the information would be much appreciated.

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (06/08/91)

In article <FwD631w164w@bluemoon.uucp> slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) writes:

>        I just purchased an old AE Ramkeeper card today at my local apple
>dealer and am having some trouble using it with my GS.  The card works
>perfectly with my old Apple memory expansion card (with a full meg) but
>crashes when loading GS/OS (and only then) when I install my standard
>memory card, a GS Juice plus with two megs installed.

Try swapping the locations of the two cards; ie put the one currently
on the front on the back, and v/v.  This is what did it for me, with
an AST RamStak+ and 4MB Apricorn card.

>Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
>UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

Henry
Henry Throop
throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/08/91)

throoph writes:

> Try swapping the locations of the two cards; ie put the one currently
> on the front on the back, and v/v.  This is what did it for me, with
> an AST RamStak+ and 4MB Apricorn card.
>
> >Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
> >UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood
>
> Henry
> --
> --
> Henry Throop
> throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
> THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

Well, let me clarify the situation.  I do not have the SlotMover cable, so
at present I can use only 1 card at a time.  When I use my Apple Memory
Expansion card, the system works fine.  However, when using the Gs Juice+,
the system will go no further than halfway through the loading of GS/OS.
ProDOS 8 functions perfectly, though, and I have accessed the ROM drive
from there.

Once I am able to obtain a SlotMover cable, I will install <both> cards
and try switching their positions as you suggested.  Until then, however,
does anyone have any other ideas?