[comp.sys.apple] corrupted file

881045m@aucs.AcadiaU.ca ( MUISE) (06/15/91)

I have a critical Appleworks2.2 doc (word-proceesor). The file can not be

opened . It can not be copied as a file (only the entire disk ). I get I/O error on block $6920. I also go an directory error $51 .

 I tried Jumpstart to read the file as text , and it said

881045m@aucs.AcadiaU.ca ( MUISE) (06/15/91)

I have a critical Appleworks2.2 word-pro. doc. that is corrupted.
I can not open it , even as a text file in Jumpstart . I get
directory error $51 and error block $2D . The file can't be
copied as a file , only as part of the entire disk . (It's
on a 3.5) I also got I/O error on block $6920 . I thought
3.5 only had 1600 blocks ?!?! I tried to view the file as text
and as hex in CopyII+9.1 no dice . I used the disk mapping
utility and the file itself is fragmented all over the disk.
I used GS/OS to get info and it still gives valid info
(ie 16.5k , type , etc) . How can some info still be there and
the rest not(ie the text itself) . This is a critical file
for a local business . The apple dealer has NO tools to
help his customers , so I'm the last resort . HELP.

P.S. sorry about the previous posting , I had a system problem .
-Richard , still fumbling away in UNIX !!

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/16/91)

881045m@aucs.AcadiaU.ca ( MUISE) writes:

> I have a critical Appleworks2.2 word-pro. doc. that is corrupted.
> I can not open it , even as a text file in Jumpstart . I get
> directory error $51 and error block $2D . The file can't be
> copied as a file , only as part of the entire disk . (It's
> on a 3.5) I also got I/O error on block $6920 . I thought
> 3.5 only had 1600 blocks ?!?! I tried to view the file as text
> and as hex in CopyII+9.1 no dice . I used the disk mapping
> utility and the file itself is fragmented all over the disk.
> I used GS/OS to get info and it still gives valid info
> (ie 16.5k , type , etc) . How can some info still be there and
> the rest not(ie the text itself) . This is a critical file
> for a local business . The apple dealer has NO tools to
> help his customers , so I'm the last resort . HELP.
>
> P.S. sorry about the previous posting , I had a system problem .
> -Richard , still fumbling away in UNIX !!

Hmmm.  'Tis a nasty problem.  I believe that I have seen some utilties
(advertised in A+/Incider) to salvage damaged AppleWorks files.  You might
want to look there.

Of course, there is a little utility called DARK that always worked
wonders on my damaged disks.  However, I always used that back in the days
of DOS 3.3.  I'm really not sure if DARK will a) work on a ProDOS disk, or
b) work on anything other than a 5.25" disk.

 Anyone else have some ideas?

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood