[comp.lang.misc] How to do it ?

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/12/86)

In article <6282@decwrl.DEC.COM>, denis@lerouf.dec.com (Michel DENIS, European Engineering, Valbonne) writes:
> I would like to know if someone has used (or heard about the use of) high level
> languages (C, Pascal, Ada, ..) or tools to generate PDP-11 code.
>
> I think there could be various ways to do it, including :
>
> - a cross-compiler running on VAX/VMS or PDP/RSX which generates PDP-11 code

There are cross compilers for C on UNIX but make use of COMPATIBILITY MODE
on the VAX, which is sort of cheating.

> - a pre-processor (like Whitesmith C) which generates MACRO-11 sources to be
>   assembled using the MACRO-11 assembler.

Many C compilers actually generate assembler and assemble it.  The main
advantage of Whitesmiths is that it would actually run under RSX or UNIX
and compile with a RSX compatible library.

> I am very interested to know about such possible Compiler/Tool that you
> could have (of course a compiler with a run-time library would not work in
> this case because the "system" is some specialized processor based on a
> PDP-11 chip).

Right now I write internet gateway software for dedicated PDP-11 processors.
The entire application and it's little operating system is compiled on
a PDP-11/44 UNIX system and then written out to floopy disk and booted
standalone on the communications processors.  Other people who work on
my software use the compatibility mode C-compiler environment on the
VAX to do the same thing.

-Ron