[comp.lang.misc] structured assembler ?

lvc@danews.ATT.COM (Larry Cipriani) (12/11/86)

The recent articles on using macro assembler for defining
control structures reminded me of some work done at Case
Western Reserve University (CWRU) in my senior year there.
My memory of it never was strong, but I believe that the
goal of the research was to explore using 'the usual'
control structures in HLL's in assembly language.  Does
anyone know what the result of this research was.
--

Larry Cipriani	AT&T Network Systems
cbosgd!{danews,cbsck}!lvc

cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (12/13/86)

In article <359@danews.ATT.COM> lvc@danews.ATT.COM (Larry Cipriani) writes:
>The recent articles on using macro assembler for defining
>control structures reminded me of some work done at Case
>Western Reserve University (CWRU) in my senior year there.
>My memory of it never was strong, but I believe that the
>goal of the research was to explore using 'the usual'
>control structures in HLL's in assembly language.  Does
>anyone know what the result of this research was.
>
>Larry Cipriani	AT&T Network Systems

The "official" description given out by the department reads:

	"This research group is incorporating many modern concepts of
	 programming languages, such as modularity and data abstraction,
	 into machine-specific languages.  These languages provide con-
	 trol over machine resources equal to that possible in traditional
	 assembly languages.  The group is currently implementing a
	 family of languages, called al:0, for many of the possible
	 microprocessors."

I'm not directly connected with the research myself, but I know that the
al:0 implementation for the 68000 is pretty much done.  I think the
next step is to implement for the 80** series.  If I hear more, I'll
post to the net (if anyone is interested, of course).

Chet Ramey

ARPANET:  cwruacm%case@csnet-relay.arpa
	  ramey%cwru-20%case@csnet-relay.arpa
CSNET:    cwruacm@case  or  ramey%cwru-20@case