[comp.lang.misc] Upward translation

heeb@ethz.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <4009@utcsri.UUCP> greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>... I think it is very unrealistic to ask for a type (2)
>translator program if FOO is LISP, BASIC, COBOL or even FORTRAN.

At U of Dortmund (Germany) a group does research in what they call
upward translation. They do BASIC to PASCAL (among others, but
probably no C). They do *not* produce lots of gotos but try to
recognize FOR, WHILE etc.

They gave me the BASIC --> PASCAL thing (for free) and I used it on a
70K *very* messy BASIC program. I had to simplify the BASIC
using shell-scripts (because the input language is too primitive)
but once it eat it: MAGIC! All except the worst constructs where
recognized and translated to decent structures and all gosubs were
procedure calls (but without parameters).

--
	Hansruedi Heeb
	{seismo|decvax}!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!heeb