[comp.lang.misc] Is Object-Oriented Programming more than graphics?

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (02/04/87)

In article <438@apple.UUCP> lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) writes:

>To be concrete, suppose the message is Draw.  Then you do need to know that
>the object you send a message to can understand Draw, but you do not need
>to know if it is going to draw a circle, rectangle, line, etc.
>
>So your program has to be correct in so far as it never confuses graphical
>objects with numbers, for example.  But other than that, it does not have to
>keep track of the specific kind of each graphical object.  The runtime
>system does that for you.
>
>>Also, I have repeatedly heard the claim that dynamically bound languages are
>>"just as fast" as static languages.  OK, make me a believer.  Who says so?
>
>Consider implementing a graphics editor in C or Pascal.  (I will take
>Pascal, because I am more familiar with it.)

The above excerpt illustrates a situation which really bothers me
about OOPS. I truly believe that there are benefits to software
engineering using Object Oriented programming, but I find that
out in the world of OOPS users "object oriented" and "graphical"
are almost synonyms.

This was obvious to me at the September OOPSLA conference where
there were many papers that dealt as much with graphics as with
OOPS and even more papers in which the only examples used were
graphical in nature.

The applications that I have in mind have very little to do with
graphics because they must run on ordinary non-graphic terminals.
Will OOPS buy me anything?

Is there anyone out there writing REAL applications using an O-O
programming language and NO GRAPHICS?

Leonard Vanek                       phone (416) 475-0525
Geac Computers International
350 Steelcase Rd. West
Markham Ontario L3R 1B3
Canada

UUCP ... {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid} !utzoo!yetti!geac!len

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/07/87)

OOP is a natural metaphor for any problem involving distributed systems.
The model of a collection of objects communicating via message passing, is
identical to the actual situation, where each object is implemented via a
separate process running on its own processor.

segall@caip.UUCP (02/09/87)

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) writes:

>	Is there anyone out there writing REAL applications using an O-O
>	programming language and NO GRAPHICS?

Of course. I am. I don't know why _all_ the examples you saw were
graphics problems, but I suspect I know why most of them were:

1) Graphics problems are very nice to implement with an o-o system,
for the reasons posted;

2) It's one heck of a lot easier (and more interesting, to the casual
observer) to explain and understand things when you use pictures. The
arcane details of the internals of someone's application are not quite
as valuable teaching tools as visual examples.

My application doesn't use graphics (yet). I'm developing an
object-oriented system to optimize certain computationally-intensive
problems for solution on parallel computers. Smalltalk lends itself
beautifully to development of this system, for all the usual reasons
relating to programming environment, but there is a more important
reason: The approach I'm taking to this problem is inherently
object-oriented. To program this system without an o-o system would be
a nightmare, and I don't think I would do it. I would either have to
develop a system that doesn't really have the full flexibility I think
is required, or I'd have to implement my own o-o system, which would
be an unnecessary distraction and a waste of time.

Ed Segall

segall@caip.rutgers.edu
{pyramid, seismo, ut-sally}!topaz!caip!segall