[comp.lang.misc] References for attribute grammars.

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (03/10/87)

Does anyone know of any textbooks on automata theory, formal
languages, or compilers that include discussions of attribute
grammars? I know of "Formal Specification of Programming
Languages", by Pagan, and some other books that basically
describe how attribute grammars are used. I'm interested now in
the more theoretical aspects, eg, complexity of evaluating
attributes, definitional power for a given logic in which
attribute expressions are constructed, etc.

This is the only newsgroup to which I've posted this article,
since I can think of no others appropriate. If you can think of a
newsgroup whose readers are likely to answer my question, please
tell me so I can cross-post this question.

Thanks for any help.

Russell Turpin

alanm@dvlmarv.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <7411@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
>Does anyone know of any textbooks on automata theory, formal
>languages, or compilers that include discussions of attribute
>grammars?

The name escapes me for the moment (Compiler Construction ?) but the
book by Goos and Waite isn't bad. Its published by Springer Verlag (in
1984 I think) and it covers the subjects that you want. If you ask for
the tome that covers Books in Print at your local bookstore, I'm
sure that you'll find it.

The book is a little spotty for some people but if you want to use
it as an adjunct to some other book like Aho and Ullman, then
its not too bad.