[comp.lang.misc] NEW PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE: SPL, an alternative to PASCAL and C.

dlbaer@helm.UUCP (04/27/87)

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                      4/6/87

                                                      CONTACT Dennis Baer

                                                             516 694 5872

        Software   author   Dennis  Baer  has  released  the   Structured
        Programming  Language,  (SPL)  a  free  format  block  structured
        programming  language  that  runs on MSDOS  and  PCDOS  operating
        systems. SPL is an alternative to PASCAL and C.

             The  SPL  language  is implemented  by  a  translator  which
        converts  SPL source code to a Microsoft BASIC program which  can
        then  be compiled with Microsoft's Quick Basic,  MS BASIC,  IBM's
        BASICA, or ported to machines such as AMIGA, MACINTOSH, ATARI ST,
        or CP/M and compiled with the BASIC compiler for those machines.

        SPL  has  been released as SHARE WARE and is  available  as  file
        SPLLIB.ARC  on  BIX  in the IBM SIG or available on  various  bbs
        systems:

        516 334 8221 (1200 baud) No registration required for DOWNLOADING.

        SPL is also available as volume 666 from PCSIG 800 245 6717.

        If  you  have any questions you may call me at 516-694-5872  from
        Monday thru Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm New York time.

        Some major features and advantages of SPL

        o SPL is an alternative to the PASCAL and C languages

        o SPL programs can be run on MACINTOSH,AMIGA,ATARI ST,CP/M

        o The SPL processor will run on MSDOS emulators on MACINTOSH,
          AMIGA,ATARI ST

        o PROCEDURES

        o WHILE loops

        o FOR loops with REAL and INTEGER indicies and increments

        o REPEAT loops

        o Powerful IF THEN ELSE constructs

        o Powerful RANDOM and SEQUENTIAL INPUT/OUTPUT including
          formatted OUTPUT

        o GRAPHICS statements PSET DRAW LINE CIRCLE PRESET SCREEN .....

        o BEGIN END blocks

                                        1

        o ERROR trapping

        o Statement labels (multiple labels supported)

        o Strong data types INTEGER REAL STRING scalars and arrays

        o Names of variables and labels up to 40 characters upper and
          lower case

        o Supports mathematical functions SIN COS TAN LOG EXP .....

        o STRING functions MID$ LEFT$ RIGHT$ STR$ VAL$ ASC$ .....

        o Your compiled BASIC programs do not become obsolete link
          them together

        o SPL programs run faster than PASCAL programs

        o SPL programs can take advantage of an entire 640k IBM PC

        o The SPL processor will work on an IBM PCjr with 128k and
          1 drive

                                        2

spf@moss.ATT.COM (04/29/87)

In article <221@helm.UUCP> dlbaer@helm.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer) writes:
>        Software   author   Dennis  Baer  has  released  the   Structured
>        Programming  Language,  (SPL)  a  free  format  block  structured
>        programming  language  that  runs on MSDOS  and  PCDOS  operating

Dennis, is this language related in any way to the U.S. Navy's SPL/1?
That language (which I have studiously avoided) has been described to
me as an Algol/Pascal derivitive, and is usually used in signal processing
applications (perhaps it's their Signal Processing Language -- SPL?).
If your invention is NOT related to theirs, then you and the Navy are
practicing language name/acronym overloading (not the first time,
I'm sure).  This could prove inconvenient to you, and I doubt the
Navy will change the name of THEIR language.

Just thought you should know...

Steve

blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (04/30/87)

In article <8894@clyde.ATT.COM> spf@moss.UUCP (Steve Frysinger) writes:
 >In article <221@helm.UUCP> dlbaer@helm.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer) writes:
 >>        Software   author   Dennis  Baer  has  released  the   Structured
 >>        Programming  Language,  (SPL)  a  free  format  block  structured
 >>        programming  language  that  runs on MSDOS  and  PCDOS  operating
 >Dennis, is this language related in any way to the U.S. Navy's SPL/1?

It almost certanly isn't related to Prime's Systems Programing Language
SPL, a PL/1 based language  (a superset of a subset, does not have PL/1 I/O).
--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Eclb.Arpa

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <8894@clyde.ATT.COM> spf@moss.UUCP (Steve Frysinger) writes:
>In article <221@helm.UUCP> dlbaer@helm.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer) writes:
>>        Software   author   Dennis  Baer  has  released  the   Structured
>>        Programming  Language,  (SPL)  a  free  format  block  structured
>>        programming  language  that  runs on MSDOS  and  PCDOS  operating
>
>Dennis, is this language related in any way to the U.S. Navy's SPL/1?

Or Hewlett Packard's SPL (Systems Programming Language) for the
HP3000, a pascal/algol like beastie that also has some low level type
features, and lots of access to `intrinsics', HP's stab at
monitor/system calls.  Actually, sort of nice to program in, compared
to your alternatives, BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN or RPG.  By the way, do
any other BASICs exist that only allow identifiers to be one character
and an optional digit in length?  (At least the version I worked on 7
or odd years ago did).  It took me about a 30 line program to write a
mnemonic translater.  Wonder why HP couldn't do the same?!!

--

Paul Guthrie
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg			This Brain left intentionally blank.

rodgin@hpccc.HP.COM (Lisa Rodgin) (05/01/87)

Just to confuse the issue even more, the 'System Programming Language'
for the Hewlett-Packard 3000 machine is called....you guessed it!
                           SPL/3000!

schwartz@swatsun (Scott Schwartz) (05/06/87)

> It almost certanly isn't related to Prime's Systems Programing Language
> SPL, a PL/1 based language  (a superset of a subset, does not have PL/1 I/O).

I thought Pr1me used PLP ("PL/1 subset Pr1me" I guess :-) for systems
programming.  All the sources for Pr1me system software I've seen were
written in PLP, but I suppose it's possible they've another language
for internal use.

--
# Scott Schwartz
# UUCP: ...{{seismo,ihnp4}!bpa, cbmvax!vu-vlsi, sun!liberty}!swatsun!schwartz

martillo@athena.mit.edu (Yakim Martillo) (05/08/87)

In article <1108@babylon.UUCP> schwartz@swatsun (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>> It almost certanly isn't related to Prime's Systems Programing Language
>> SPL, a PL/1 based language  (a superset of a subset, does not have PL/1 I/O).

>I thought Pr1me used PLP ("PL/1 subset Pr1me" I guess :-) for systems
>programming.  All the sources for Pr1me system software I've seen were
>written in PLP, but I suppose it's possible they've another language
>for internal use.

Primos Ring 0 code nowadays is written in fortran, PLP, SPL, PL1/G,
Modula 2 and PMA (which really counts as 4 or 5 separate instruction
sets -- the Prime machines are microcoded and Prime never throws
anything away so that a Prime machine is actually one of 4 or 5
different possible machines depending on the value of a certain
register which is setable on a per user basis).  Some primos ring 3
routines are written in C.