[comp.lang.misc] ML programming, anybody?

allen@sbstaff2.UUCP ( Allen Leung) (06/09/87)

    Is there any one out there doing serious programming and/or research
 in ML (Meta Language)?  I would like to hear from you.

                                                   Don't trust me,
                                                   I'm just an undergrad.

                                                   Allen Leung,
                                                   SUNY at Stony Brook.

jouvelot@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Pierre Jouvelot) (06/11/87)

In article <665@sbstaff2.UUCP> allen@sbstaff2.UUCP ( Allen Leung) writes:

>    Is there any one out there doing serious programming and/or research
> in ML (Meta Language)?  I would like to hear from you.

Yes (I guess) !!

I used it as an executable specification language for the semantic
parallelization of imperative programs during my PhD research in France
(I'm currently a PostDoc in MIT/LCS Programming Research Group). The
overall program is about 3500 lines of ML code (with a few others in
FranzLisp and MLYacc). The overall idea is described in my POPL'87 paper
"Semantic Parallelization: A Practical Exercise in Abstract Interpretation"
where both the theory (abstract interpretation) and practice (use of ML)
are introduced (for courageous people, there is also my PhD thesis ... written
in french :-)

Note that I used the Cambridge/INRIA Version which is older and
slightly different from SML.  The main problem I had was related to
the lack of "real" separate-compilation facility. This should
disappear with newer versions that introduce modules. Besides this, ML is
a very fine language which should have a more widespread use.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jouvelot
Room NE43-403				ARPA:   jouvelot@xx.lcs.mit.edu

carllp@diku.UUCP (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) (06/16/87)

Yes, we are some people at diku (datalogisk institut ved
K|benhavns Universitet -> Coputer Science Department at
the University of Copenhagen) who are trying to work with SML.

We are supposed to make a user-manual for the implementation -
but ....

Right now I'm working with a self-interpreter to SML, and it
seems to be ok.

We are using a version from Edingburgh. It's rather old, but we
have some problems in getting a newer version.

Regards
Carl-Lykke

csnjr@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell, Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science,) (06/23/87)

In article <665@sbstaff2.UUCP> allen@sbstaff2.UUCP ( Allen Leung) writes:

>    Is there any one out there doing serious programming and/or research
> in ML (Meta Language)?  I would like to hear from you.

YES! I represent the ML research group at Edinburgh. We were responsible for
the original releases of Standard ML, as well as the infamous "Edinburgh ML"
which is being distributed at the moment.
   The situation is rather uncertain at the moment - we are still distributing
the original SML system, although it has its weaknesses and we haven't got
the resources to perform any major bug fixes at the moment. We expect to be
shipping copies of the brand new, shiny SML compiler sometime in the Autumn.
This is a collaborative effort - the compiler is actually the work of Dave
MacQueen at Bell Labs and Andrew Appel at Princeton, although it will
incorporate some new parsing and typechecking techniques developed at
Edinburgh. The new compiler generates native code, and is a total rewrite
(in SML itself, as it happens), so it won't suffer from the weaknesses of the
current Edinburgh system which, to be fair, is the result of a great deal of
evolution as our ideas about typechecking and compilation have developed.
--
Nick Rothwell,   Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science,
                 University of Edinburgh.

gilbert@aimmi.UUCP (Gilbert Cockton) (06/24/87)

In article <665@sbstaff2.UUCP> allen@sbstaff2.UUCP ( Allen Leung) writes:

>    Is there any one out there doing serious programming and/or research
> in ML (Meta Language)?  I would like to hear from you.

I think some people at Edinburgh University have done something with ML :-).
--
   Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Ben Line Building, Edinburgh, EH1 1TN
   JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.aimmi    ARPA:   gilbert%aimmi.hw.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk