[comp.lang.misc] references wanted to CPL programming language

kdmoen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Doug Moen) (08/23/87)

Does anybody know of accessable references that describe the CPL programming
language?

Just to provide some background, CPL stands for either Cambridge
Programming Language or Combined Programming Language.  It was designed
sometime during the 1960's.

BCPL is a stripped down, and typeless version of CPL.  B is a stripped
down version of BCPL.  And C is an extended version of B.
--
Doug Moen
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (08/28/87)

Richard's book on BCPL gives as a reference an article in the Computer
Journal 1963 no 6. (Published by the British Computer Soc). I have also
seen a book called (I think) Advances in Non-numerical Computing, published
about that time (edited by Fox) which contains something about it.
You should also look at the FIRST edition of Brian Higman's `Compative
Study of Programming Languages' which discusses some of CPL's features --
the second edition concentrates more on the newer languages.

--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (09/01/87)

In article <1621@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kdmoen@watcgl.UUCP (Doug Moen) writes:
>Does anybody know of accessable references that describe the CPL programming
>language?
>
>Just to provide some background, CPL stands for either Cambridge
>Programming Language or Combined Programming Language.  It was designed
>sometime during the 1960's.
>
>BCPL is a stripped down, and typeless version of CPL.  B is a stripped
>down version of BCPL.  And C is an extended version of B.
>--
>Doug Moen
>University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab
>UUCP:     {ihnp4,watmath}!watcgl!kdmoen
>INTERNET: kdmoen@cgl.waterloo.edu

The only published description I know of is called "The main Features
of CPL", and appeared these many years ago in the Computer Journal
(house journal of the British Computer Society), Vol 6.  The main
author was D W Barron.

Various working papers on the language used to be available from
the Oxford University Programming Research Group (45 Banbury Road,
Oxford, England); I have a complete copy and would be prepared to
send a LIMITED number of photocopies to anyone really interested.

The acronym indeed stands for "Combined Programming Language", the
things combined being the universities of Oxford and London.  Much
of the design work on the language was done by Christopher Strachey.

BCPL is described in Martin Richards' book "BCPL, the Language and its
Compiler".

B was derived from it mainly by replacing the Algol-like syntax with
one more to the liking of the deriver.  As you might suspect, I loath
it.

jpff@draken.nada.kth.se (John Fitch) (09/21/87)

I know it is usual for Oxford University to claim all knowledge, but CPL
was originally Cambridge,David Baron was indeed the first author of the paper,
but the others include Stachey and Hartley at least.  The C was originally for Cambridge, but it got changed with the London involvement.

There was a compiler for the Cambridge Titan, and as a student we were issued
the CPL manual (which I still have).  Half was through the year the compiler
was archived (ie kept on tape only).  One of my regrets is that I never used
it, but Robin Fairbairns (now of Laser Scan in Cambridge I think) must of been
the last user, with a seive program.  That was in 1968.  The compiler was
slow, rumoured to be 17 pass, but others can correct me on this.
==John Fitch

keithc@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Keith Clarke) (10/06/87)

Expires:

I have (on loan from Peter Landin) two manuals for CPL.
One is by David Barron, in Cambridge University Mathematical
Lab covers, and is called "An introduction to CPL for Titan".
It is in two parts, totals 73 pages, published July 1963, and is a
first edition, no less.

The other is 28 pages. No author is credited, but it includes
the cryptic note "JNB:MD/JML 29th March 1965 SN: 131".
It is called the "CPL Elementary Programming Manual", and was
published jointly by Cambridge and the University of London
Institute of Computer Science, price two shillings and sixpence.

The derivation: Cambridge Programming Language & Combined Programming
Language are both accepted by people around at the time. But
lots of people say it was really Chris's Programming Language
after Christopher Strachey.
--
Keith Clarke

UUCP:      keithc@qmc-cs.uucp   or    ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!qmc-cs!keithc
Internet:  keithc@cs.qmc.ac.uk           Post:  Dept of Computer Science
JANET:     keithc@uk.ac.qmc.cs                  Queen Mary College
Easylink:  19019285                             University of London
Telex:     893750 QMCUOL G                      Mile End Road
Fax:       +44 1 981 7517                       London E1 4NS
Voice:     +44 1 980 4811  x3908                England