[comp.lang.misc] Pronunciation of 'anything'

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (10/12/87)

//SYSIN DD DATA
Added short note the Mesa Reference manual has an pronunciation guide in
its Appendix.  Most amusing.  Perhaps all future language designs should
do such. ;-)

I side with Doug Gwyn.  Any company who makes such a fuss must be a sorry
place to work.  Was the poster from IBM?
/*

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene

varol@cwi.nl (Varol Akman) (10/15/87)

But NASA pays you so that you can reply to such 'silly' queries, huh?

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (10/18/87)

In article <3084@ames.arpa>, eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
> //SYSIN DD DATA
> Added short note the Mesa Reference manual has an pronunciation guide in
> its Appendix.  Most amusing.  Perhaps all future language designs should
> do such. ;-)
>
> I side with Doug Gwyn.  Any company who makes such a fuss must be a sorry
> place to work.  Was the poster from IBM?
> /*

Hm...Eugene, you have been hanging around the guys implementing NASANET too
long :-)...(I'm involved, peripherally, in that effort...)

I seem to recall that Forth was actually intended to be a spoken language as
well, with a (more-or-less) standard pronumciation set. Since it led to
oddities like '@' being pronounced 'fetch', etcetera, I suspect it's not
used much except by the folks at Forth, Inc...

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | uucp: uunet!nuchat!splut!jay
Never ascribe to malice that which can |  or: academ!uhnix1!--^