[comp.lang.misc] Classifying programming-language designers.

djsalomon@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Daniel J. Salomon) (01/24/88)

For a humorous but insightful classification of programming language
designers take a look at the book, "Lucid, the Dataflow Programming
Language," by William W. Wadge and Edward A. Ashcroft, Academic Press,
1975.  His classifications are:
	 1) Cowboys
	 2) Wizards
	 3) Preachers
	 4) Boffins
	 5) Handymen
	 6) Repairmen
These classifications are explained in sections I.5 and I.6 of the
book.  It is very entertaining to fit your friends and famous computer
scientists into these groups as you read.
UUCP: watmath!dragon!djsalomon   Internet: djsalomon@dragon.waterloo.edu

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (01/26/88)

In article <4777@watdragon.waterloo.edu> djsalomon@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Daniel J. Salomon) writes:
>For a humorous but insightful classification of programming language
>designers take a look at the book, "Lucid, the Dataflow Programming
>Language," by William W. Wadge and Edward A. Ashcroft, Academic Press,
>1975.  His classifications are:
 1985 (a small typo)
>	 1) Cowboys
>	 2) Wizards
>	 3) Preachers
>	 4) Boffins
>	 5) Handymen
>	 6) Repairmen

I walked down the hall to my Branch library and got the book out.
Yes, I forgot about this discussion, it's very good.  I also recommend it.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene

csnjr@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (01/27/88)

> In article <4777@watdragon.waterloo.edu> djsalomon@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Daniel J. Salomon) writes:
>>For a humorous but insightful classification of programming language
>>designers take a look at the book, "Lucid, the Dataflow Programming
>>Language," by William W. Wadge and Edward A. Ashcroft, Academic Press,
>>1975.  His classifications are:
>>	 1) Cowboys
>>	 2) Wizards
>>	 3) Preachers
>>	 4) Boffins
>>	 5) Handymen
>>	 6) Repairmen

The LUCID stuff is quite fun to read. After reading it, I tried to decide
which of these patronising categories is most appropriate for the designers
of LUCID...

Seriously, though. Wadge and his team spend, I think, an entire chapter of
their book just slagging off every other field of language and/or system
design, and then propose that the answer is dataflow machines and languages.
And how far has this rather intolerant and opinionated campaign got them?

Quite so.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk