[net.movies] Dirty Harry's score

rsk@stat-l (Rich Kulawiec) (01/17/85)

	In which "Dirty Harry" movie does Callahan kill the most people?
Dirty Harry?  Magnum Force?  The Enforcer?  The Gauntlet?  Sudden Impact?
--
Rich Kulawiec @ Purdue Unix Wombat Group	rsk@purdue-asc.arpa
(decvax,ihnp4,uiucdcs)!pur-ee!rsk.uucp (decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax)!purdue!rsk.uucp

"First I'm going to bother everybody I meet,
And then I'll probably go home and get drunk."

jeffw@ISM780.UUCP (01/22/85)

> Rich Kulawiec @ Purdue Unix Wombat Group        rsk@purdue-asc.arpa:
>
> /* ---------- "Dirty Harry's score" ---------- */
>
>       In which "Dirty Harry" movie does Callahan kill the most people?
> Dirty Harry?  Magnum Force?  The Enforcer?  The Gauntlet?  Sudden Impact?

I can't speak of the other movies (since it has been a while since I've
seen them), but I've seen Sudden Impact a couple of times within the last
three weeks and a friend and I counted 22 deaths - 13 in the first hour
and 5 minutes, 9 in the last half of the movie, 21 by gunfire, 1 by
heart-attack.  Thing is, not all of them were at the hands of Callahan;
his co-star (the blonde woman from Josey Wales) was pretty handy with a
.38 and probably took close to half of that number, but I don't know the
exact count.

jeffw   decvax!cca!ima!ism780!jeffw

p.s. Has anyone seen or heard about the new movie Eastwood is going to
     appear in? The name, I hear, is "Pale Face".

steven@ism70.UUCP (01/23/85)

Info from Mr. Box Office:

_P_a_l_e_ _R_i_d_e_r is a June or July release from Warner Bros. It is
Clint Eastwood's first Western in eight years (_T_h_e_ _O_u_t_l_a_w_ _J_o_s_e_y
_W_a_l_e_s, in 1978 was his most recent real Western). Filmed in Utah,
Eastwood plays a character dressed in frontier preacher garb who
protects a small mining town from corporate invaders. Also
appearing are Michael Moriarity, Carrie Snodgress and Christopher
Penn.  Eastwood directs from a screenplay by Michael Butler and
Dennis Shryack (_T_h_e_ _G_a_u_n_t_l_e_t).

From what I can recall of an article that appeared in a recent
Sunday Calendar of the Los Angeles Times, the film sounds like it
will resemble _H_i_g_h_ _P_l_a_i_n_s_ _D_r_i_f_t_e_r, where Eastwood's character had
a ghostly past, as well as Michael Cimino's _H_e_a_v_e_n_'_s_ _G_a_t_e, in
that a man takes a stand with settlers (miners) against a
corporate power.

P.S. _T_h_e_ _G_a_u_n_t_l_e_t is not a Dirty Harry movie. My favorite line:

Eastwood commanders a biker's hawg while in the middle of the desert.

Biker responds:

				  BIKER
			Hey, that's my bike!

				EASTWOOD
			And this is my gun, Clyde.

act@pur-phy.UUCP (Alex C. Tselis) (01/25/85)

In article <64@ism70.UUCP> steven@ism70.UUCP writes:

>Eastwood plays a character dressed in frontier preacher garb who
>protects a small mining town from corporate invaders.

You mean to say that Eastwood plays a COMMUNIST??  Gasp!

(Sorry, folks, I couldn't resist!)

bonaccio@uvm-gen.UUCP (Tony Bonaccio) (02/03/85)

      This is going to sound like the start of a letter to Dear Abby, but I
NEVER respond to the net, so please excuse any glaring errors.

      Just had to add my two bits to this one.

      In The Gauntlet, which is indeed NOT a Drity Harry movie, Eastwood
played a cop named Ben Schockley (the start of the Dirty Ben series? Sounds
like a cross between a SF cop and a gentle bear...) and Sondra Locke played
a witness who was about to come clean with some major organized crime info.
Rest of plot becomes guessable.  In any event, my favorite line was also
from the scene with the biker, but I recall it going like this:

Biker:     Hey, that's my Chopper, Charlie !!!

Eastwood:  And this is my Gun, Clyde.

     Anyway, my most significant comment on this movie is about the number of
folks who DIDN'T buy it;  I remember thinking that Eastwood must've been
shooting (heh-heh) for the record for most rounds fired in a single 90-min
flick.  I distinctly recall not many people actually getting hit, though.
In this sense, the movie struck me as almost a parody - Eastwood's once-and-for-all shoot-'em-up whose ultimate goal was to make his fans so sick of gunshots
that they'd have had enough of this kind of movie and he could move on
to documentaries or something.

    Unsuccesful, judging from the carnage of Sudden Impact.

    In short, if I had to warrant a guess, I'd say the number of people
killed in all Eastwood movies to date was equal to the population of
2.8 average Vermont towns.

    And Clint, if you're listening, don't take offense.  I confess to
actually LIKING this stuff.  And no, I didn't get enough gunshots in
The Gauntlet.

Tony Bonaccio
University of Vermont
Burlington (yeah, the skiing's great), Vermont