[comp.lang.misc] Blanks in symbol names

tmy6405@acf3.NYU.EDU (Ted M. Young) (03/24/88)

In article <22367@bbn.COM> schooler@oak.bbn.com (Richard Schooler) writes:
>In article <3156@fluke.COM>, mce@tc (Brian McElhinney) writes:
>>
>>Are there languages other than CORAL that allow blanks in symbol names?
>>

>Fortran, of course, since blanks are insignificant except inside
>string literals.

Then there's the old Apple II BASIC (seems almost as old as FORTRAN :-)
which let you type in whole lines of code without any spaces whatsoever
(except in string literals, where spaces are significant).  As each line is
typed in, the line is parsed and tokenized, but it always had trouble with
a line like: 10 FORI=ATOB because AT and TO are both tokens, this line
would get parsed to 10 FOR I = AT OB which ain't right, and wouldn't work
either :-).

Disclaimer: The last time I programmed in Apple BASIC was about 4 years
ago, so the above is dredged up from memory, and may not be entirely
correct.  I also believe that the BASIC that comes with the ProDOS setup
is different, but not having programmed in it, I dunno.

>				-- Richard Schooler

	-- Ted

--
Ted M. Young          \ tmy6405@acf3.nyu.edu  \ "..restless young romantic,
3801 Hudson Manor Terr.\ tmy6405@NYU-ACF3.ARPA \ wants to run the big machine"

willc@tekchips.TEK.COM (Will Clinger) (03/25/88)

>>>Are there languages other than CORAL that allow blanks in symbol names?
>>Fortran, of course, since blanks are insignificant except inside
>>string literals.
>Then there's the old Apple II BASIC (seems almost as old as FORTRAN :-)

Ah, but nothing beats Common Lisp, in which you can have a variable whose
name consists of nothing but a blank.  (You can write it as | | or as \ ,
but whether it prints in one of those ways or simply as a blank space
depends on how you've set the printing parameters.)  And you can have a
different variable whose name consists of two blanks.  And one whose name
consists of three blanks.  And, of course, you can have a variable whose
name consists of no characters at all.  :-(

William Clinger
Semantic Microsystems, Inc.

shebs%defun.utah.edu.uucp@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley T. Shebs) (03/27/88)

In article <3088@tekchips.TEK.COM> willc@tekchips.UUCP (Will Clinger) writes:

>Ah, but nothing beats Common Lisp, [...]
>you can have a variable whose name consists of no characters at all.  :-(

That's only so that (intern "") works properly!  :-) :-) :-)

							stan shebs
							shebs@cs.utah.edu