[comp.lang.misc] Programming a Turing Machine

crowl@cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl) (05/04/88)

In article <4624@ihlpf.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpf.UUCP (00704a-Liber,N.J.) writes:
>Seriously, the problem with a Turing machine is that it is simple with respect
>to the person implementing it.  Programming it is a nightmare!  (For those of
>you who don't think so, show me your Turing machine that implements the Unix
>kernal.  Until then, ... :-))

Programming a Turing machine is easy.  First, you program an emulator for a
simple RAM machine.  This is not difficult, you store address and value pairs
on the tape.  This costs at most quadratic slow-down.  (See Aho, Hopcroft, and
Ullman; "The Design and Analysis fo Computer Algorithms"; Addison Wesley 1974.)
Once you have a simple RAM machine, you can write an emulator for any existing
machine (like the 68000) and then the Unix port is relatively straight-forward.
--
  Lawrence Crowl		716-275-9499	University of Rochester
		      crowl@cs.rochester.edu	Computer Science Department