[net.music] Top 40 Radio

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (06/11/84)

{  Ever feel like you openned a pandora's box?  }

Here's a rather random question, for those of you who grumble about
Top 40 Radio stations:  If Top 40 is so bad and everybody hates it,
why are so many stations "wimping out" and going Top 40?

I also noticed in the last issue of "Radio & Records" that many of
the "signifiacnt action" songs in AOR were Top 40 songs.  Hmm?
--
"When I hear the power in the radio wave             Peter Merchant
 I turn it up all the way!" -- Jim Steinman

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/11/84)

>	From: merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant)

>	{  Ever feel like you openned a pandora's box?  }

>	Here's a rather random question, for those of you who grumble
>	about Top 40 Radio stations:  If Top 40 is so bad and everybody
>	hates it, why are so many stations "wimping out" and going Top
>	40?

Ever feel like you've ignored the whole conversation and have asked a
silly question that shows no understanding of what people have been
saying?

No one has said that everybody hates Tops-40 -- the strongest statements
that has been made in general can be paraphrased "I hate Top 40.  My
friends hate Top 40 It sucks!  Everyone else should hate it too."  Then
various support argument has been given for this statement.

I'll give you an 8% on your reading comprehension score.
--
				-Doug Alan
				 mit-eddie!nessus

				"What does 'I' mean"?

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/12/84)

{  Ever feel like someone just tried to pus all over you?  }

Uh, Doug, Thanks for correcting me.  I have been paying attention...
I think it's just my lack of expertise with the system that has you
a bit confused.

That message was not meant as an addition to the various bantering
that has been going around, as of late.  I'm not quite sure how to
submit "original" (No comments from the peanut gallery, please) articles,
so I just follow them up and edit the subject line.  I missed the
"references" line.

I'm rather curious, though.  If Top 40 is such a bad form of music,
why are lots of radio stations playing it?  Is it because, in theory,
the people of America have no musical taste?

I mean, I hear people caterwauling about what a bad form of music
it is, but don't offer any really good reasons for it's popularity
except "Bah!  The masses wouldn't know good music if someone served
it to them on a silver platter?"

I have my theories as to why it is so popular.  I'm just wondering
whether anyone else has any ideas, other than "People are ignorant
about 'good music', like {folk, jazz, classical, punk, new wave, etc.}"

Apologies to anyone else out there who might have been confused
about that message.  I'm just diversifying the conversation a bit.
So I'm clueless.  So hit me with your rhythm sticks.
--
"So I said 'God Damn It, Daddy!                           Peter Merchant
 I love you.

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/13/84)

> I'm rather curious, though.  If Top 40 is such a bad form of music,
> why are lots of radio stations playing it?  Is it because, in theory,
> the people of America have no musical taste?
> I mean, I hear people caterwauling about what a bad form of music
> it is, but don't offer any really good reasons for it's popularity
> except "Bah!  The masses wouldn't know good music if someone served
> it to them on a silver platter?"
> I have my theories as to why it is so popular.  I'm just wondering
> whether anyone else has any ideas, other than "People are ignorant
> about 'good music', like {folk, jazz, classical, punk, new wave, etc.}"

Aren't the reasons you've offered good enough?  Actually, the second reason is
somewhat less than accurate, but is often used by those who wish to promulgate
the notion that their tastes are somehow superior to that of mere mortals.
But the fact remains:  the American public have been cleverly conditioned to
be near perfect sheep.  ("Benson, I'm going to have to turn you into a dog for
a while."  "Ohhhhh, thank you, Master!!!!")  And there is general disdain by
many people for "intellectualism" (which often means anything above the lowest
common denominator).  The fact that a large number of people who are tired of
the crap out there still go along with it stems from the fact that they have
been told that other music isn't right for them (classical music is for snitty
snobs, rock music is noise for kids, funky music is for black people, etc.)
You'd be surprised at the number of people whose eyes you can open up once
you get them willing to be exposed to new stuff.  But given the unwillingness
of media honchos to take the chance to open things up, it's an effort.
--
"Submitted for your approval..."		  Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/14/84)

>	From: merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant)

>	Uh, Doug, Thanks for correcting me.

You're welcome.  No problem.

>	I'm rather curious, though.  If Top 40 is such a bad form of
>	music, why are lots of radio stations playing it?  Is it
>	because, in theory, the people of America have no musical taste?

I suppose it's for the same reason that "The A Team" will probably last
ten seasons and "The Paper Chase" only lasted one.  For the same reason
that your average person instead of having a Dali on the wall, has a
Christine Brinkley.  For the same reason that the people who bring you
Harlequin Romance Novels (each with its very own identical plot) are
rolling in dough. And probably for the same reason that a person like
Ronald Reagan could ever be elected President.
--
				-Doug Alan
				 mit-eddie!nessus

				"What does 'I' mean"?