[comp.lang.misc] RATFOR

val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (06/28/88)

     Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
     to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.

	  Thanks in advance,
		-=:[ VAL ]:=-
--
----  /\  ----------------------------------------------------------------
     /\/\  .    /\     |  Val Kartchner  {UT@WSC}  |  'vi' must go, this

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/30/88)

In article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) writes:

>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.

RATFOR converts RATFOR to FORTRAN -- that's its job.  It's just a
pre-processor.  It's described in detail in the book "Software Tools"
bu Kernighan and Plauger (there are two editions -- one uses Fortran
and one uses Pascal).

Despite its age this is *still* a fine book -- it teaches you the Unix
concept of software tools and explains the underlying philosophy.  It's
a MUST if you haven't read it or an equivalent (is there one?).

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) (06/30/88)

From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.

Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
See you friendly unix guru

--
Steve Stevenson                            fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu
(aka D. E. Stevenson),                     fpst@prism.clemson.csnet

aitken@svax.cs.cornell.edu (William Aitken) (07/01/88)

In article <12235@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:

>RATFOR converts RATFOR to FORTRAN -- that's its job.  It's just a
>pre-processor.  It's described in detail in the book "Software Tools"
>bu Kernighan and Plauger (there are two editions -- one uses Fortran
>and one uses Pascal).

Note however that only the Fortran version talks about the RATFOR translator
since Pascal has the facilities that RATFOR provides for FORTRAN already.

William E. Aitken <aitken@svax.cs.cornell.edu>        (607)257-2542(h)
  {uw-beaver,ihnp4,vax135,decvax}!cornell!aitken      (607)255-4222(o)
  aitken@crnlcs.BITNET               700 Warren Rd. #20-2A, Ithaca, NY
  42 26'30" N 76 29'00" W                              4148 Upson Hall

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (07/01/88)

In article <2068@hubcap.UUCP> fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.
>
>Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
>See you friendly unix guru

    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (07/03/88)

|    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
|to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
|it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
|Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

There was a Ratfor to Fortran or F77 converter in C posted to
comp.sources.something a few months back. Check your nearest archive. The
mods to make the K&P Ratfor generate F77 are not too difficult to
figure out anyway.

	Ken

becker@ziebmef.uucp (Bruce Becker) (07/04/88)

In article <3630@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>In article <2068@hubcap.UUCP> fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>>From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>>>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>>>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.
>>
>>Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
>>See you friendly unix guru
>
>    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
>to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
>it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
>Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

>George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
>..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207
>Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826

	Some time ago I rewrote RATFOR to emit Fortran77 code, and, while
	I was at it, speeded it up about 4-5 times, and extended the language
	somewhat. This was for a MVS IBM mainframe system under ISPF,
	so that RATFOR (or RATF77 as it was known) was part of a the
	production environment. This resulted in a much better usage
	of Fortran facilities, although had a reasonable version of 'C'
	been available, it would have been preferable...

		The project of converting RATFOR to C ws considered, but never
	undertaken - It doesn't seem in retrospect to be a greatly
	difficult project, as the RATFOR compiler has most of
	the parts in it to be modified to the new target... The biggest
	part is the addition of a symbol table & its management...

Bruce Becker
UUCP: ...!unicus!becker!bdb, ...!lsuc!humvax!becker, ...!ncrcan!ziebmef!becker
BitNet: BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (07/06/88)

In article <1988Jul4.121340.5376@ziebmef.uucp> becker@ziebmef.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <3630@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>>In article <2068@hubcap.UUCP> fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>>>From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):

I just received a letter about "The C Users Journal (tm)".  It claims that
among the recent articles was "A review of a RATFOR to C Translator."
Anyone interested might like to get in touch with
	The C Users' Group,
	P.O.Box 97,
	McPherson
	KS 67460
I have no affiliation with the C Users' Group and have not seen
"The C Users Journal (tm)" and recommend neither; I'm just passing it on.