[comp.lang.misc] Sophisticated LOGO ?

morus@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas M.) (07/20/88)

As a LOGO fanatic I would be very interested if there were any
PC-based LOGO-implementations which use features like high
resolution graphics (EGA, VGA), extended memory, multiple
turtles, function closures, macros and the like.
If you know of any new developments, please let me know and
supply, if possible, some dealer, distributor, etc.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Thomas
PS.: I would very much appreciate if you e-mail to my
BITNET-address.

--
! Thomas Muhr    Knowledge-Based Systems Dept. Technical University of Berlin !
! BITNET/EARN:	 muhrth@db0tui11.bitnet                                       !

isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/31/88)

In article <2131@netmbx.UUCP>, morus@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas M.) writes:
> As a LOGO fanatic I would be very interested if there were any
> PC-based LOGO-implementations which use features like high
> resolution graphics (EGA, VGA), extended memory, multiple
> turtles, function closures, macros and the like.
> If you know of any new developments, please let me know and
> supply, if possible, some dealer, distributor, etc.

After seeing that intriguing (if somewhat off the wall) series,
*Computer Science Logo Style*, I keep meaning to look for even a simple
PC implementation of the LCSI version.  I gather the version information
in CSLS is a little out of date -- I'd settle for information even on a
basic version.

On a related problem:  I recently picked up for very cheap a TI 99A.
This piece of hardware is *truely* an orphan, it doesn't even have a
power cable.  The only reason I bothered is a dim memory that the
machine had a good ROM based Logo.  Indeed, the machine rather looks
like it was designed by someone who read Paypert's claim that a simple
computer should be to the kid of the 80s what a pencil was to a kid of
the 50s.  But now I wonder if it's worth the trouble.  There are still
fanatics for this hardware, but none seem interested in Logo.

larry@lunar.UUCP (08/07/88)

> On a related problem:  I recently picked up for very cheap a TI 99A.
> This piece of hardware is *truely* an orphan, it doesn't even have a
> power cable.  The only reason I bothered is a dim memory that the
> machine had a good ROM based Logo.  Indeed, the machine rather looks
> like it was designed by someone who read Paypert's claim that a simple
> computer should be to the kid of the 80s what a pencil was to a kid of
> the 50s.  But now I wonder if it's worth the trouble.  There are still
> fanatics for this hardware, but none seem interested in Logo.

I've used it.  It's good.  The only reasons I don't still use it
are that my hardware is busted, the kids lost interest, more important
things have come up, and I have a different version of Logo for HP
computers that a friend wrote.  One of these days I'm gonna fire it
up again and have some fun.

Larry Fenske
lunar!larry