[comp.lang.misc] Any TRAC lovers?

Are there any TRAC lovers out there?  TRAC was this really neat little
string processing language devised by one Calvin N. Mooers.  He had
this neat idea of trademarking the name TRAC so as to ensure
compatability between implementations (sounds like DOD's ADA to me).
Unfortunately, this was the death knell for the language, so it hasn't
gone anywhere in the past twenty-two years.

Anyway, I've been interested in it for years, and have written TRAC
interpreters in assembly language for the HP-21MX, the 8080, the 6809,
the 8088, Pascal and C.  My Freemacs freely-copyable programmable text
editor for the PC is mostly a TRAC interpreter (with the primitives
renamed and one large semantic difference, so I call it MINT and don't
even pretend that it's real TRAC.)

The language is documented in CACM V9 N3 (March 1966).  If anyone is interested
in a copy of either the (Turbo) Pascal, (Turbo) C versions or Freemacs, drop
me a note.  Even though both Pascal and C versions are written for Borland
compilers, the machine dependent routines are already split out.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life.

markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) (10/11/88)

In article <NELSON.88Oct9011843@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>The language is documented in CACM V9 N3 (March 1966).  If anyone is interested
>in a copy of either the (Turbo) Pascal, (Turbo) C versions or Freemacs, drop
>me a note.
>--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
I tried mailing to you, but it bounced.  I would be interested in the Turbo C
version and also in Freemacs.  Could you send me information?

Thanks.
--
  In real life: Mark E. Davidson       uflorida!novavax!proxftl!markd
  Proximity Technology Inc., 3511 NE 22nd Ave, Ft. Lauderdale FL, 33308

daniel@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/15/88)

My experience with TRAC (we used a version called TRAK) was
combined with my first experience with timesharing (Xerox Sigma V).
It was for a programming languages course.  The instructor was
attempting to show us how different a language could be in which
we could still do something useful.  We wrote a small Lisp
interpreter.

By the way, TRAC stands for Text Reconning(sp?) And Compiling.
If there is a UNIX version it would be nice to see it posted in
comp.unix.sources.  Otherwise, it would be nice to see a C or
Pascal version in alt.sources.

If you don't want to do this, maybe you could just arrange to send
me one of the versions.  :-)

There is another reference in "Computer Lib!".  That's my primary
exposure.  It sounds like a good application to port to a IBM PC
or Macintosh.  Imagine a window showing the active and passive
stacks during debugging executing!

-- Daniel Pommert
   Computing Services Office
   University of Illinois