[comp.lang.misc] Programming

dlbaer@mozart.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer ) (10/12/88)

PROGRAMMERS,try the Structured Programming Language and you will have an
opportunity to switch to a language that is better than PASCAL and C. It
is also an improvement to BASIC but familiar to you if you use BASIC.

Why SWITCH to SPL? Here are the reasons!

SPL has better and longer variable names.

SPL has better PROCEDURES and linkage to assembly language and BASIC.

SPL has better INPUT/OUTPUT facilities both random and sequential I/O.

SPL has better FOR loops with INTEGER and REAL indicies and increments.

SPL has better BLOCK structure.

SPL has better GRAPHICS facilities.

SPL has better STRING variables and functions.

SPL programs are easier to make portable to even non MSDOS machines.

SPL runs on ALL MSDOS and PCDOS machines not just PCDOS machines.

Another BIG reason: MAKE MONEY DISTRIBUTING SPL.

Download file SPL.EXE from 516 935 2027 and call 516 694 5872 during
normal business hours for further details or for questions you have.
SPL.EXE has the entire Structured Programming Language software
package. SPL is by Electronic Digital Computer Systems Company.

SPL is easy to learn, use, and combines the BEST of BASIC and PASCAL.

 Sample SPL program.

BEGIN

   REAL Bb,Aa,Cc;
   REAL Root_1,Root_2;

   PROCEDURE Quadratic_roots(Aa,Bb,Cc);
   BEGIN
      REAL Factor;

      Factor:=Bb*Bb-4.*Aa*Cc;
      IF Factor<0 THEN
      BEGIN
         Root_1:=10^(-10); Root_2:=10^(-10);
         RETURN;
      END
      Root_1:=(-Bb+SQR(Factor))/(2.*Aa);
      Root_2:=(-Bb-SQR(Factor))/(2.*Aa);
   END

   REAL Constant_A,Constant_B,Constant_C;

   Ask_for_quadratic_constants:
   INPUT('Enter A,B,C:' @ Constant_A,Constant_B,Constant_C);
   Quadratic_roots(Constant_A,Constant_B,Constant_C);
   OUTPUT(); OUTPUT(Root_1,Root_2); OUTPUT();
   GO Ask_for_quadratic_constants;
END

Resulting BASIC program that is compiled and run on many systems or translated
to C and then compiled as a C program.

      2 OPTION BASE 1
      3 DIM AZ( 9 ),A%( 1 ),A$( 1 ),B$( 1 )
    503 COMMON AZ(),A%(),A$(),B$()
   1001 GOTO 1018
   1002 ::
   1003 AZ(2)=Z1Z
   1004 AZ(1)=Z2Z
   1005 AZ(3)=Z3Z
   1006 AZ(6)=AZ(1)*AZ(1)-4.*AZ(2)*AZ(3)
   1007 IF AZ(6)<0 THEN 1009
   1008 GOTO 1013
   1009 AZ(4)=10^(-10)
   1010 AZ(5)=10^(-10)
   1011 RETURN
   1012 GOTO 1014
   1013 :
   1014 :
   1015 AZ(4)=(-AZ(1)+SQR(AZ(6)))/(2.*AZ(2))
   1016 AZ(5)=(-AZ(1)-SQR(AZ(6)))/(2.*AZ(2))
   1017 RETURN
   1018 :
   1019 :
   1020 INPUT "Enter A,B,C:";AZ(7),AZ(8),AZ(9)
   1021 Z1Z=AZ(7)
   1022 Z2Z=AZ(8)
   1023 Z3Z=AZ(9)
   1024 GOSUB 1002
   1025 PRINT
   1026 PRINT AZ(4),AZ(5)
   1027 PRINT
   1028 GOTO 1019

jpd@etive.ed.ac.uk (Paul Dourish) (10/15/88)

In article <339@mozart.UUCP> dlbaer@mozart.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer ) writes:

>PROGRAMMERS,try the Structured Programming Language and you will have an
>opportunity to switch to a language that is better than PASCAL and C.

>SPL programs are easier to make portable to even non MSDOS machines.

Wow, portable to non-MSDOS machines! Really? Yeah, I've always hated the way
Pascal and C were entirely MSDOS-oriented. What could Niklaus Wirth and Dennis
Ritchie have been thinking of? Sitting there, hacking away in their PCs...

I'm sure glad there's SPL around to straighten everything out. Yaay!

--
Paul Dourish,                           JANET: jpd@uk.ac.ed.itspna
Concurrent Supercomputer Project,       ARPA: jpd%ed.itspna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

         "Ain't they got no barbers where you come from, boy?"

mct@praxis.co.uk (Martyn Thomas) (10/17/88)

CAUTION: downloading executable files is DANGEROUS.  This is how viruses
spread.  (I have no reason not to trust the company promoting SPL - more to
the point, I have no reason to TRUST them, either).

Martyn Thomas, Praxis plc, 20 Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1PX UK.
Tel:	+44-225-444700.   Email:   ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!praxis!mct

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/17/88)

dlbaer@mozart.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer ) wrote:

> PROGRAMMERS,try the Structured Programming Language and you will have an
> opportunity to switch to a language that is better than PASCAL and C...
> Why SWITCH to SPL? Here are the reasons! ...

> SPL has better FOR loops with INTEGER and REAL indicies and increments.

:-)  You mean I can't use complex numbers to index an iteration?    :-)
:-)  For shame!  This language obviously still needs some work...   :-)

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (10/20/88)

In article <850@etive.ed.ac.uk> jpd@etive.ed.ac.uk (Paul Dourish) writes:
>In article <339@mozart.UUCP> dlbaer@mozart.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer ) writes:
>>PROGRAMMERS,try the Structured Programming Language and you will have an
>>opportunity to switch to a language that is better than PASCAL and C.
>>SPL programs are easier to make portable to even non MSDOS machines.
>
>Wow, portable to non-MSDOS machines! Really? Yeah, I've always hated the way
>Pascal and C were entirely MSDOS-oriented. What could Niklaus Wirth and Dennis
>Ritchie have been thinking of? Sitting there, hacking away in their PCs...
>Paul Dourish,                           JANET: jpd@uk.ac.ed.itspna

I hope your kidding in that statement but just incase.

What are you talking about! C was NOT developed on a PC it was developed
for Unix and is NOT MSDOS oriented! I don't know who's C you are programing
under, to make the C library function under MSDOS is a real hack just to
maintain compatablity with Unix. If your on a Unix machine and most News
sites are take a look at the C librarys and include files you'll be surprised.
Pascal was not developed on a PC either, it came to real life at UCSD.
I was programing USCD pascal before PC's were even a thought in IBM's
corporate brain.

						Jack Hudler

--
*OS2, what DOS should have been! Unix, what OS2 should be!
*Me thinks I give you enough information already.

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (10/21/88)

]
]> SPL has better FOR loops with INTEGER and REAL indicies and increments.
]
]:-)  You mean I can't use complex numbers to index an iteration?    :-)
]:-)  For shame!  This language obviously still needs some work...   :-)

Oh, you think that you have problems.  Gee, I can't use structures and
datatypes as array inidicies.  That's a real problem for me.

	;-D on  ( Or operators.  Geez! )  Pardo
Newsgroups: comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Programming
In article <1735@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:

>dlbaer@mozart.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer ) wrote:
>
>> PROGRAMMERS,try the Structured Programming Language and you will have an
>> opportunity to switch to a language that is better than PASCAL and C...
>> Why SWITCH to SPL? Here are the reasons! ...
>
>> SPL has better FOR loops with INTEGER and REAL indicies and increments.
>
>:-)  You mean I can't use complex numbers to index an iteration?    :-)
>:-)  For shame!  This language obviously still needs some work...   :-)
>
>--
>ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
>JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack
>Mail: Jack Campin, Computing Science Dept., Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
>      Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND     work 041 339 8855 x 6045; home 041 556 1878
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (10/22/88)

In article <6154@june.cs.washington.edu> pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
|jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
|]dlbaer@mozart.UUCP (Dennis L. Baer ) wrote:
|]> PROGRAMMERS,try the Structured Programming Language and you will have an
|]> opportunity to switch to a language that is better than PASCAL and C...
||> Why SWITCH to SPL? Here are the reasons! ...
|]
|]> SPL has better FOR loops with INTEGER and REAL indicies and increments.
|]
|]:-)  You mean I can't use complex numbers to index an iteration?    :-)
|]:-)  For shame!  This language obviously still needs some work...   :-)
|
|Oh, you think that you have problems.  Gee, I can't use structures and
|datatypes as array inidicies.  That's a real problem for me.

That's not nearly as great as my problem. I need a FOR loop that uses
Japanese art-films for its indices. Maybe I should switch to SPL?

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (10/24/88)

In article <2599@csccat.UUCP> jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:

>I hope your kidding in that statement but just incase.

I may be stupid, but I'm pretty certain that it was a joke. So why this