[comp.lang.misc] COBOL -> C converter

jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt) (11/04/88)

>However you slice it, COBOL->C conversion still smells like baloney to me!

That's dandy.  And you ARE rigth that converting COBOL to any Algol descended
language may be kludgy, but...

Is is the Algol-based language's fault?  Or is it COBOL's fault?

Points to ponder...

                                   -John.
| US-Snail: 5877 Bartlett Street - Apt. 2 | "I must fear.  Fear is the mind |
|           Pittsburgh, PA 15217          |  killer.  Fear is the little    |
| E-Mail:   jl3j@andrew.cmu.edu           |  death that brings total        |
| Phone:    (412) 422-4002                |  obliteration."  - the B.G.     |

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (11/06/88)

(Sarcasm alert! stop reading _now_ if you require a :-) after every
remark that can be possibly misconstrued)

From article <sXQJHoy00VQa02-Goq@andrew.cmu.edu>, by
jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt):
> ... And you ARE rigth that converting COBOL to any Algol descended
> language may be kludgy, but...

> Is is the Algol-based language's fault?  Or is it COBOL's fault?

	Definitely COBOL's fault, of course. What _could_ the designer's
have been thinking of, creating a language in which the user, rather than
the compiler writer, decided how much precision was "enough". And the very
_idea_ of letting a programmer describe an "external" data structure that
the program needed to read, rather than providing "sufficient" data
structures, and converting all those old files... (_we_ know how you
should have structured your data, so come along quietly now and re-do it)

> Points to ponder...

	Indeed. While I'm am no great lover of COBOL, it certainly served
its purpose at the time, and until creators of new languages get serious
about the accuracy of arithmetic, and win enough converts to provide some
hope of portation, it still serves a purpose. If you think, for example,
the 'C' or Pascal are such languages, I refer you to the current flame
war (in comp.lang.c) over what division means in mathematics vs what it
means in C and Pascal.

(add :-)'s to taste, but... ) I spend entirely too much of my work day
pandering to compilers (and occasionally machines) that seem to have only
the vaguest ideas about how to do arithmetic.

wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (11/06/88)

In article <sXQJHoy00VQa02-Goq@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt) writes:
> wgh@ubbpc, (Bill Hutchison) writes:
> >However you slice it, COBOL->C conversion still smells like baloney to me!
> That's dandy.  And you ARE right that converting COBOL to any Algol-descended
> language may be kludgy, but... Is is the Algol-based language's fault?
> Or is it COBOL's fault? Points to ponder...

I have pondered it ...  I think it is neither's fault:
 Algol-type languages are neat for certain computer-science stuff, and
COBOL is OK for routine commercial programs.  (I am using C and learning C++).
 So why translate?
 Commercial companies cannot hire enough competent programmers to let them
switch to more "advanced" languages, so, until 4GLs or AI techniques help them
make do with fewer programmers, they probably should keep using COBOL.
 My point was not that one language is better than another, but that I feel
it is usually silly to translate programs from a language into another that is
_very_ different from the first.  Rewrites may well be cheaper!
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!cbmvax!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center	"What one fool can do, another can!"

dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) (11/08/88)

In article <sXQJHoy00VQa02-Goq@andrew.cmu.edu> jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt) writes:
>  [...]        And you ARE rigth that converting COBOL to any Algol descended
>language may be kludgy, but...
>
>Is is the Algol-based language's fault?  Or is it COBOL's fault?

Why does it have to be either one's fault?

Personally, I'm a believer in different languages for different purposes.

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221