[net.movies] locale inconsistencies

ebh@hou4b.UUCP (Ed Horch) (02/06/85)

Right offhand, I can think of two movies that showed buildings whose
interior was really that of a bulding different from that of the
exterior (did you follow that?).

In _Beverly Hills Cop_, the hotel Eddie Murphy checked into was supposed
to be somewhere in Beverly Hills (I forget specifically which hotel),
but the lobby scenes were shot in the Biltmore in downtown L.A.

In _Fast Times at Ridgemont High_, I don't know what they used as the
exterior of the "Ridgemont Mall", but the mall itself was the Sherman
Oaks Galleria in (guess where) Sherman Oaks, Cal.

-Ed Horch  (ihnp4,akgua,houxm}!hou4b!ebh

woof@psivax.UUCP (Harold Schloss) (02/09/85)

In article <1316@hou4b.UUCP> ebh@hou4b.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
>In _Beverly Hills Cop_, the hotel Eddie Murphy checked into was supposed
>to be somewhere in Beverly Hills (I forget specifically which hotel),
>but the lobby scenes were shot in the Biltmore in downtown L.A.

Well the exterior was of a hotel in downtown L.A. It was not a Beverly Hills
hotel. The name in the movie was the Beverly Palm hotel, which definitely
does not exist.

>In _Fast Times at Ridgemont High_, I don't know what they used as the
>exterior of the "Ridgemont Mall", but the mall itself was the Sherman
>Oaks Galleria in (guess where) Sherman Oaks, Cal.

The exterior scenes are the outside of the Santa Monica Place mall in
Santa Monica California. (BTW I saw Fast Times at the Sherman Oaks
Galleria, which was a very disconcerting experience.)

--
		Hal Schloss
		(from the Software Lounge at) Pacesetter Systems Inc.

asente@Cascade.ARPA (02/09/85)

In "Foul Play" there were some shots of the inside of the San Francisco
Opera House.  Apparently they didn't think it had an impressive enough
lobby, because the lobby shots were somewhere else.  (Anyone know
where?)

	-paul asente
	    decwrl!glacier!cascade!asente
	    asente@cascade

"To sit in sullen silence in a dull dark dock
In a pestilential prison with a life long lock
Awaiting the sensation of a short sharp shock
From a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block!"
	-WSG

steven@ism70.UUCP (02/10/85)

Info from Mr. Box Office:

The exterior of the mall in _F_a_s_t_ _T_i_m_e_s_ _a_t_ _R_i_d_g_e_m_o_n_t_ _H_i_g_h was filmed
outside the Santa Monica Place mall, on the Broadway st. side. They
took the banners down and placed a sign that says "Ridgemont Mall"
on the entrance, but the distinctive palm tree logo of Santa Monica
Place is clearly visible. You briefly see the inside of the Santa
Monica Place food court after this, as Judge Reinhold mingles with
the crowd. After that, the credits roll over scenes shot in the
Sherman Oaks Galleria.

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (02/11/85)

In article <2682@Cascade.ARPA> asente@Cascade.ARPA writes:
>In "Foul Play" there were some shots of the inside of the San Francisco
>Opera House.  Apparently they didn't think it had an impressive enough
>lobby, because the lobby shots were somewhere else.  (Anyone know
>where?)

 Yes - they used the rotunda of San Francisco's City Hall - a truly
 impressive lobby by any standards. In that same scene, they used a
 local celebrity, Cyril Magnin (aka Mr San Francisco), to play the
 Pope - a source of continual delight to movie-triviacs in these parts.
--

 rod williams
 --------------------

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (02/12/85)

I was an extra in a Canadian car commercial that involved a symphony orchestra.
The exterior was the San Francisco Opera house and the interior was shot at
the Concord Pavilion (about 30+ miles away).  The funny part is that the
Concord Pavilion is an open air concert hall.  The only roof is over the
stage.  They did the filming at night so I guess it didn't show.

				John R Blaker
				UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
				ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1
				and	blaker@FORD-WDL2