[comp.lang.misc] Sucessful Languages

gjditchfield@violet.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (11/30/88)

In article <409@ubbpc.UUCP> wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) writes:
>  I consider Pascal to be a teaching and publication language, not a practical
>application language, so I consider it to be a success, *given Wirth's stated
>design goals*, not the goals who wanted Pascal to replace FORTRAN, COBOL, or
>PL/I.

Dr. Wirth certainly did intend that Pascal be a practical application
language.  The abstract of "The Programming Language Pascal" [Acta
Informatica, v1 #1] says
	In view of its intended usage both as a convenient basis
	to teach programming and as an efficient tool to write
	large programs ...
"An Assessment of the Programming Language Pascal" [IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering, June 1975]  starts with a discussion of "reliable
software" and ends with the conclusion
	Instead of relying too much on either antiquated "debugging
	tools" or on futuristic automatic program verifiers, we
	should give more emphasis to the systematic construction of
	programs with languages that facilitate transparent formulation
	and automatic consistency checks.
	   The language Pascal was designed with exactly these aims.

mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) (12/02/88)

The stated design goals for Pascal changed several times from the first
articles in 71 to later articles.  They pretty much match the prevalent use
at the time.

It is probably correct that Pascal was the true sucessor to Algol 60.

As to Algol-68, no "serious" language design since has ignored it.  Its
influence is felt not so much in use as in subsequent languages.  I'm
thinking of Ada's "elaborations", C's "union"s & "structs" and (pseudo)-
regular treatment of pointers, that awful word "pragma".  The Informal
Introduction was an early instance of hypertext.  There was a SIGPLAN
article once, "Ignorance of Algol 68 Considered Harmful".

Then there's CPL, not to mention ISWIM...