[comp.lang.misc] Multiple-Precision Operations

phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) (12/31/88)

In article <1080@l.cc.purdue.edu>,
cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

>There is need for the software operations
>which those who understand the use of bit patterns
>find useful to be included in the languages.
>That these operations are not much used is no evidence
>[for their exclusion].

I deal regularly with "bit patterns" as a languages/compilers person,
but I have never attempted (or wanted) to write code for things like
multiple-precision arithmetic, FFTs, or data compression.
I assume that those are examples of the bit-pattern dirty work
that Rubin has in mind.

Now that Rubin has provoked a reaction, here's your chance -- what,
specifically, would you "find useful" for doing that work in an HLL ?

>What is needed [for multiple precision operations]
>is fast unsigned integer arithmetic.

Don't you need access at the language source-code level to carry-bits
and things like them, e.g., for multiple-precision operations ?

[Note that the discussion has been split: into "comp.arch", where it
originated, and into "comp.lang.misc", for language features only.]
--
[The foregoing may or may not represent the position, if any, of my employer]

Clay Phipps                       {ingr,pyramid,sri-unix!hplabs}!garth!phipps
Intergraph APD, 2400#4 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA 93403            415/494-8800