[net.music] Music and Style: All Show and No Go??

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) (10/20/85)

In article <-- Details hidden to protect the unaware -->
> Has anybody seen the new ABC album?  What does its cover look like?

Something has been starting to really worry me lately.  First I heard that
Wham! played in Toronto and Georgeous George had 2 (or 3) backup *dancers*.
And then I was locked in a small room with my TV and forced to watch parts
of Live Aid and saw Madonna cavorting with (yup - you guessed it) 2 backup
dancers.  (I also heard Power Station whose drummer has never heard of the
concept of a steady beat or keeping in time.)

So much emphasis these days seems to be on appearance and perceptions of
style rather than on the music.  (Yes - there are many counter examples)
Is this what videos have been doing to our music?

I hate to admit it, but videos have had some good effects, mostly in
introducing a few more interesting, but lesser known artists to the vast
expanses of middle America.  But in so many things, it seems that people
are forgetting that the purpose of music is the music, not some fabricated
video featuring pale, sickly-looking, ugly guys telling georgeous girls
to take a hike.

Well, this article went nowhere.  Too bad.  But tell you what - why don't
you head out tonight and support some local band in some local bar??

Food for thought:
From review of the Cruzados new album, Toronto Globe & Mail, Oct 17
by Liam Lacey: "It's a minor quibble, but this band's claim to be Los Lobos
with cojones is defintely undermined by the hair and make-up credits on
the album sleeve."

See what I mean??

John

John's rule of bands #1:  Never trust a band whose bass player uses a
headless bass.

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (10/23/85)

> Something has been starting to really worry me lately.  First I heard that
> Wham! played in Toronto and Georgeous George had 2 (or 3) backup *dancers*.
> And then I was locked in a small room with my TV and forced to watch parts
> of Live Aid and saw Madonna cavorting with (yup - you guessed it) 2 backup
> dancers.  (I also heard Power Station whose drummer has never heard of the
> concept of a steady beat or keeping in time.)
>
> So much emphasis these days seems to be on appearance and perceptions of
> style rather than on the music.  (Yes - there are many counter examples)
> Is this what videos have been doing to our music?
>
> John

Here, John! Don't make a fuss! I'll watch your MTV :-)
Seriously, it really is just rock coming full circle again.
Go-go dancers were part of performences by bands on "Shindig",
"Hullabaloo", "Let Me Take You Where the Action Is", etc.
during the 60s.  And as for style, theatrics have been around
since before the birth of rock (e.g. Johnny Ray doing "Cry").
The videos only give the added ability of editing to the performance.
Besides, with the exception of a very few musically competent
people, what is rock but "appearance and perceptions"?

BTW, I LIKE the Power Station's drummer's style!

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/23/85)

>> Has anybody seen the new ABC album?  What does its cover look like?

> Something has been starting to really worry me lately.  First I heard that
> Wham! played in Toronto and Georgeous George had 2 (or 3) backup *dancers*.
> And then I was locked in a small room with my TV and forced to watch parts
> of Live Aid and saw Madonna cavorting with (yup - you guessed it) 2 backup
> dancers.  (I also heard Power Station whose drummer has never heard of the
> concept of a steady beat or keeping in time.)
> So much emphasis these days seems to be on appearance and perceptions of
> style rather than on the music.  (Yes - there are many counter examples)
> Is this what videos have been doing to our music?  [JOHN SELLENS]

I don't think having backup dancers *alone* qualifies them for the banality
heap.  (Such a categorization would make ballet and modern dance troupes
worthless:  "My God, dancing on the stage while the MUSIC is playing????
DIS-gusting!!!")  Though clearly both Madonna and Wham! fit cleanly into
that heap.  But that's what the real "pop" side of pop music is and always
has been all about:  flash, showbiz, glam schlock, etc.  For the purpose
of sating the "entertainment" "needs" of the "masses" who have come to
expect it.  Today it's just so fine tuned you can't tell the difference
between Sheena Easton and Madonna and Dolly Parton.   (well... )  All this
at the expense of the "serious" side of the house, those who really are
making some real music worth listening to on its own merits and not
based on the prettiness of the face that sang it.  And guess what the
rest of the world (the "jazz" and "classical" buffs, e.g.) see when the
words "popular music" appear:  the schlock side of the house.

> John's rule of bands #1:  Never trust a band whose bass player uses a
> headless bass.

I thought you said the important thing was the music itself, not what
type of flashy stuff and/or equipment goes with it...
--
"Mrs. Peel, we're needed..."			Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) (10/25/85)

In article <1948@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>> John's rule of bands #1:  Never trust a band whose bass player uses a
>> headless bass. [Sellens]
>
>I thought you said the important thing was the music itself, not what
>type of flashy stuff and/or equipment goes with it... [Rick Rosen]

What I meant to suggest with that was that a headless bass often seems to
be an indicator that the band is more concerned with appearances than
certain other things ...

John

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/29/85)

> In article <1948@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
> >> John's rule of bands #1:  Never trust a band whose bass player uses a
> >> headless bass. [Sellens]
> >
> >I thought you said the important thing was the music itself, not what
> >type of flashy stuff and/or equipment goes with it... [Rick Rosen]
>
> What I meant to suggest with that was that a headless bass often seems to
> be an indicator that the band is more concerned with appearances than
> certain other things ...
>
> John

Dear John,

For your own edification, the "Steinberger" bass you refer to is
a significantly different bass compared to the Fenders and Rickenbackers
you're probably familiar with. Some people like the sound, some people
hate it. But those willing to spend near $2000 often do so because the
instrument is so sensitive and the output is so "hot" that it requires
very little force to produce adequate output. A lot of the bass players
I have talked to have purchased one in spite of their hideous appearance,
in order to get a certain tone or feel.

   ||   ||
  [(.) (.)]      Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | = |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/30/85)

>>> John's rule of bands #1:  Never trust a band whose bass player uses a
>>> headless bass. [Sellens]

>>I thought you said the important thing was the music itself, not what
>>type of flashy stuff and/or equipment goes with it... [Rick Rosen]

> What I meant to suggest with that was that a headless bass often seems to
> be an indicator that the band is more concerned with appearances than
> certain other things ... [Sellens]

But that cuts both ways.  If you judge the music NEGATIVELY by the fact
that they use certain types of equipment (e.g., drum machines, ahem ahem :-)
without regard to the actual musical content, you are no better than someone
automatically judging positively.  Like David Levadie automatically hating
any piece of music he hears on a radio station (or some such value judgment).
--
Popular consensus says that reality is based on popular consensus.
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr