[net.movies] Seeing movies shot where you live

bjf@utcs.UUCP (Bruce Freeman) (02/04/85)

Something I find very distracting in a movie is recognizing local landmarks
that are in reality miles apart but are placed in the movies as if they were
part of one building. Someone in my office saw STARCROSSED on tv and said that
he found it very distracting watching the characters go up the steps of one
building and emerge at the door of another building that is 5 miles away. Do
other people have this problem? I remember that when I saw SILVER STREAK that
it was amusing to see the train leave Toronto ("Los Angeles") at the beginning
of the movie and then crash into Toronto's Union Station ("Chicago") at the
end of the movie. Many more movies are made in LA and New York than Toronto,
do people in those cities have trouble getting involved in the movie because
they recognize where people are? I find that I have no trouble watching a movie
set in Toronto where the movements are logical as far as a local is concerned
but once the characters start using those teleport booths ...
--
Bruce Freeman	University of Toronto	{decvax|ihnp4|utzoo}!utcs!bjf

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (02/05/85)

Naw.  I've lived in L.A. my entire life, and I've seen uncountable
television programs/movies/commercials that were locally shot and
that don't maintain geographic or temporal sequencing.  So what?
I'm so used to seeing local areas in the entertainment media that I don't
even think twice about it.

--Lauren--

P.S.  Live around L.A. long enough and you also get used to seeing
location shoots set up all over the place.  I probably run into
one of these (figuratively speaking) a couple of times a week
in random locations.  Hell, I've gone in as an extra on quite a few
when I was in the right place at the right time and was sufficiently
bored.

--LW--

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/05/85)

bjf@utcs.UUCP (Bruce Freeman) writes in net.movies (edited to remove spoiler):

> ... I remember that when I saw SILVER STREAK that
> it was amusing to see the train leave Toronto ("Los Angeles") at the beginning
> of the movie and then arrive at Toronto's Union Station ("Chicago")...

Actually, it was better than that.  The opening shots around the
station really were Los Angeles.  But when the train pulled out of
the station, it was leaving Toronto's Union Station going east.
The Toronto skyline is quite different from LA's!

After that, Toronto's station doubled not only for Chicago as
stated, but also for Kansas City!  (KC was downstairs, Chicago
upstairs plus the tracks west of the station.)

Mark Brader
Please confine any further followups to net.movies OR net.railroad
as appropriate, by editing the Newsgroups line.

jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) (02/05/85)

Mayfield Senior School has the distinction of being on the "A" list for
location sites for both movies and television.  (Sadly, most of the efforts
shot here are pretty sad, but....)  I always find it amusing to see them
turn a corner of our main building and end up "somewhere else."

One stunningly bad TV movie made here a year or so ago was titled _The Girls
of Starkwater Halls_, a little ditty about a private girls school - talk about
type casting!  Anyway, the entertaining part dealt with the girls walking
from the tennis courts (which we *do* have) to the equestrian center -
which we definitely do *not*!!!

Such are the joys of make believe.

Cheers...

	Jim Jenal		(aka ...!scgvaxd!mss!jpj)
	Mayfield Senior School	( "  ...!ihnp4!mss!jpj)

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (02/05/85)

> Something I find very distracting in a movie is recognizing local landmarks
> that are in reality miles apart but are placed in the movies as if they were
> part of one building. Someone in my office saw STARCROSSED on tv and said that
> he found it very distracting watching the characters go up the steps of one
> building and emerge at the door of another building that is 5 miles away. Do
> other people have this problem? I remember that when I saw SILVER STREAK that
> it was amusing to see the train leave Toronto ("Los Angeles") at the beginning
> of the movie and then crash into Toronto's Union Station ("Chicago") at the
> end of the movie. Many more movies are made in LA and New York than Toronto,
> do people in those cities have trouble getting involved in the movie because
> they recognize where people are?

I remember watching the movie "Blue Thunder" in North
Hollywood at the Americana theatre once (a movie which,
incidentally, I walked out on).  There was a scene where there
is a robbery going on at a liquor store at the corner of Vine
and Burbank boulevards (I think).  Well, the entire audience
broke out cheering.  This particular liquor store has a lit-up
clown statue outside that is tackier than the Laurel Canyon
Plaza...it was really hilarious seeing Blue Thunder swoop down
on the store!

Being from L.A., I often find that I recognize parts of
scenes.  Harold's mother's mansion in "Harold and Maude" is
actually parts of the Huntington Library & Lacey Park in San
Marino.  I get a lot of enjoyment from this stuff, but then, I
like having a break from the illusion-spinning sometimes.
It's part of being an Angelena, I guess;  movie-making is such
a pervasive part of the local scenery.

		-ellen

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (02/06/85)

  The "Blues Brothers" movie had an even more abrupt change.
Baddies were chasing Jake and Elwood through the streets of
Chicago (potholed roads & beat-up freeways) when the scene
changed to a section of unfinished Milwaukee freeway.  There,
the cement was clean, the skyline was different, etc.

  You didn't even have to know the two areas to notice the lack
of continuity.

Bob Devine

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (02/07/85)

     I remember seeing _T_h_e _M_a_n _W_i_t_h _t_h_e _G_o_l_d_e_n _G_u_n, in which
several  scenes were shot in Hong Kong and Macau.  It's kind
of thrilling knowing that THE James Bond traipsed through my
home town.

     Funny thing:  When he got off the jet foil from  Macau,
he was at the Star Ferry pier....

                            Alan

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (02/07/85)

Near the begining of *Towering Inferno* Fred Astair gets out of a
cab, walks across the plaza in front of the Bank of America building,
gazes up at it (quick cut to a POV shot of the model) then strolls
inside. He emerges into the lobby of the Hyatt Regency which is actually
about a mile to the east. When I first saw the film, I was a little
confused. I thought that a scene was missing and that Fred had just
stopped by the B of A to pick up a little cash before continuing on to
the Hyatt.

The next time I travelled into the city (San Francisco, for those of
you who aren't sure where I'm talking about) I made a point of seeing
just what the B of A lobby looked like. Very disappointing. Just a
guard desk, a directory and some elevators.

--
                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

darryl@haddock.UUCP (02/09/85)

As a native Angelino, I was always amused by Emergency! and Dragnet.
In particular, Dragnet used sequences that maintained geographical
continuity...  I recall watching an episode that went through many of
my neighborhood's streets (big thrill for a 14 year old!).

		--Darryl Richman
		INTERACTIVE Systems

jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) (02/10/85)

Saw Mass Appeal the other night - it too was shot in part at Mayfield.
(For those of you who might be interested, the Monsignor's office is our
Headmaster's office and the hallways of the seminary were ours as well.  In
the scene where the young priest is called in on the carpet - he is
originally in an adjacent office - Admissions - and then walks in to see
the Monsignor.  As he does so, he walks past a portrait of a Pope - when I
saw the film with a group of Mayfield faculty we all started laughing at
that point since the painting is actually there!)

At any rate, I was distracted by the familiar locales - mostly *all* from
Pasadena - but I think that was due to the stunningly insipid script.
Almost anything could have served as a distraction.  A film to avoid.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (02/11/85)

>From: jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal)
>
>Mayfield Senior School has the distinction of being on the "A" list for
>location sites for both movies and television.  (Sadly, most of the efforts
>shot here are pretty sad, but....)  I always find it amusing to see them
>turn a corner of our main building and end up "somewhere else."

The administration building of Monmouth College was used as Daddy Warbuck's
mansion for the movie version of ANNIE. (Parts of our library were also
used for the FDR scenes.) In our case, the "somewhere else" problem is in
reverse: there is a scene where you see a bunch (gaggle? :-) ) of orphans
running down 5th ave. in New York and arrive a few minutes later at the
gate of Warbuck's mansion. This is mildly amusing since this particular get
is on a quiet, tree-lined, suburban street far from the bussle of city life
(besides being a long run for a group of little girls :-) :-) ).

One other note: if you happened to see ANNIE, you were fortunate enough to
see several areas of the building only shown on special occasions, such as
the pool. (It's in the basement along with the theatre and the chapel.)

--
	John Ruschmeyer			...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john
	Monmouth College		   ...!princeton!moncol!john

"Everybody knows in the second life,
    We all come back sooner or later.
 As anything from a pussy cat,
    To a man-eating alligator."

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (02/11/85)

 I found watching "Educating Rita" a rather bizarre experience, as it was
 filmed in my hometown of Dublin (Ireland, not California :-)), though
 purportedly set in an unnamed midlands city in England. To add to my
 confusion, most of the lesser parts were played by Irish actors, all
 cleverly affecting appropriate accents for their characters.
--

 rod williams
 --------------------

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (02/12/85)

> [ distaste for locally shot cinematic productions... ]

	I remember the first time I saw _Stripes_. The opening
scenes, (Murray as cab driver picking up woman) were shot in
Louisville (Lousyville) Ky. where I grew up.
	She requests to be taken to the airport, he proceeds
to give her a manaically-driven tour of downtown.
	The most annoying part comes when, (remember, he's going
to the airport, which, in Louisville is *SOUTH* of the city) he
crosses a bridge, heading North, spanning the Ohio River

	WHICH TAKES YOU TO INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edward
...cbosgd!ukma!edward

psal@othervax.UUCP (02/12/85)

==== <A SOP FOR CERBERUS> ====

	If you ever get to see "Final Assignment", Moscow's Red Square is
really Old Montreal, and the Russian countryside is Bromont, where the Olympic
equestrian events were held in 1976. Oh yes, the bearded cultural attache
looming over Genvieve Bujold's head in the Ballroom scene is yours truly.

	"Tulips" was shot on Nun's Island and parts of "French Kiss" at
Montreal's Blue Bonnets Racetrack on Decarie Boulevard. "Scanners" was also
shot here. There's a lot of Montreal in the movies.

			-C.Thomas Weinbaum von Waldenthal

lynnef@tekgvs.UUCP (Lynne Fitzsimmons) (02/12/85)

'The Shining' had some of its exterior shots done at Timberline Lodge on
Mt. Hood.  The interiors were done elsewhere and did not even VAGUELY
resemble Timberline.  The maze is also from somewhere else.  Timberline
is surrounded by ski runs.
--
Lynne Fitzsimmons
NOTE NEW ADDRESS!!

leeper@ahuta.UUCP (m.leeper) (02/13/85)

REFERENCES:  <421@utcs.UUCP> <355@lsuc.UUCP> <633@asgb.UUCP>, <256@mss.UUCP>

I have been ignoring this topic, but this might be of some interest to
New Jersey AT&T people.  The old Southern Mansion where (the exteriors
at least, I don't know about the interiors, of) THE MIRACLE WORKER
(1962) were shot is about three minutes drive from AT&T-IS, Lincroft,
New Jersey.  Go north on Middletown-Lincroft to Oak Hill/Bamm Hollow
Road.  Turn right and it is the first house on the left.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahuta!leeper