[comp.lang.misc] Hoare On Data Structuring

phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) (02/03/89)

In article <21@euteal.UUCP> mart@euteal.UUCP (Mart van Stiphout) writes:

>... I suggested some more support in high level programming languages
>for list processing.  ... Well, I don't want to use Lisp but I have
>some ideas on list and I would like to know what other people think of them.
>... I REALLY HATE LISTS.  There are several reasons why I hate lists: ...
>[in summary: tedium of allocation and linkage, potential for error
> during manipulation, and the overhead of necessarily serial access].
>What I really like are arrays. They have numerous advantages:
>[in summary: the opposite of the above grievances against linked lists].
>I hereby propose to do away with linear linked lists.
>Instead we should use flexible arrays or sparse arrays.

You seem to be unaware of C.A.R. ("Tony") Hoare's paper:
"Notes On Data Structuring", in the classic Dahl, Dijkstra, Hoare book:
_Structured Programming_, 1972, Academic Press.  You will want to read it;
in particular, you will want to look at "recursive data structures".

A related paper by Hoare is "Data Reliability", from the Proceedings of
the 1975 International Conference on Reliable Software, printed as
_SIGPLan Notices_, vol. 10, num. 6 (June 1975).

The ideas in these papers aren't the solution to everything,
but they address a lot of your concerns | grievances.

--
[The foregoing may or may not represent the position, if any, of my employer]

Clay Phipps                       {ingr,pyramid,sri-unix!hplabs}!garth!phipps
Intergraph APD, 2400#4 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA 93403            415/494-8800