[comp.lang.misc] Context-free grammar.

aubrey@val.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) (03/24/89)

In article <12606@watdragon.waterloo.edu> gvcormack@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Gordon V. Cormack) writes:

>A context-free grammar G is a 4-tuple  G = <N,T,P,S> where N is a finite
>set of nonterminal symbols, T (the alphabet) is a finite set of terminal
>symbols, P is a finite set of production rules of the form  A -> X1 X2 X3 ...
>where A is in N, and X1, X2, X3 are in Union(N,T).  S in N is the Start symbol.
>
>The K&R grammar does not have a finite alphabet.
>--
>Gordon V. Cormack     CS Dept, University of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
>gvcormack@waterloo.EDU  gvcormack@uwaterloo.CA  gvcormac@water.BITNET

I haven't programmed in C, but I do have a degree in Math, and have read
the source of some compilers, as well as portions of Aho and whozits.
So please take this as a real request for information.

As I read your message, and ponder, it seems to me that the implication is
that, in C, the user can define new Terminals at whim. (or alternately it
is infinite to begin with :-) ).

If this is, in fact, the correct implication, would you send a trivial
example?

Whatcha call a boomerang that doesn't come back?      A stick.
1-(512)-346-5781 (v)        using Modula-2. enquiries welcome.
Austin, TX 78759   ...!cs.utexas.edu![oakhill|kvue]!val!aubrey