[comp.lang.misc] Searching for realtime languages

inst182@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (05/26/89)

I am carrying out some research on programming languages for
hard real-time systems. The emphasis lies on the timing behaviour.
The nature of hard real-time systems dictates, that the execution times
of the application tasks is known (or bounded) in advance.
My main interest is: How do different realtime languages
try to achieve that an upper bound on the execution time is derivable.
Please note, that I am interested in references to research projects, not
in (commercialy) available programming environments. Therefore
availability of compilers for the language is not an issue.
Please mail references, names of projects (languages) etc. to
my address shown *below* (Not the same as in the header).
When I get enough replies I will post a summary.

-alex (Alexander Vrchoticky)   * Writing thesis at (not speaking for)
alex@honey.at                  * Technical University Vienna
honey!alex@uunet.UU.NET        * (when I grow up I'll be a graduate)

jmt@apple.com (Michael Tindell) (05/27/89)

In article <699@tuvie> inst182@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) writes:
> My main interest is: How do different realtime languages
> try to achieve that an upper bound on the execution time is derivable.
> Please note, that I am interested in references to research projects, not
> in (commercialy) available programming environments. Therefore

I AM interested in commercially available environments, as well
as current research with langauge constructs for representing
time and resource constraints in hard real-time systems.  Any
information and/or pointers greatly appreciated - thanks.

You can never tell...

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/27/89)

In article <2100@internal.Apple.COM> jmt@apple.com (Michael Tindell) writes:
>I AM interested in commercially available environments, as well
>as current research with langauge constructs for representing
>time and resource constraints in hard real-time systems.  Any
>information and/or pointers greatly appreciated - thanks.

I am posting this via Followup rather than mail because it's time
PL/M raised its head in comp.realtime.  I recommend PL/M as a realtime
language of choice in all Intel CPU environments from 8051 to 80486.
Its code generation is a carefully known thing, very efficient and close
to the hardware yet allowing full HLL manipulation and modular development.
It doesn't get the glamorous press romancing that Turbo Blah and Quick-Burp
and such get, but PL/M is a marvel to behold.

The good news for C-philes is that the new Intel C is a complete rewrite
with a dpANSI compatible front end and the SAME PL/M code generator as
a back end.  So you can write safe predictable realtime C and PL/M code
both.
--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET