[comp.lang.misc] general object oriented reference

sarrel@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (05/23/89)

I would like to find a paper that talks about object oriented
programming in general and why it is a "good thing," what advantages
it has, etc.

Any suggestions would be, uh, helpful. :-)

Please respond via email.

advTHANKSance,

--marc
-=-
"Master, why is the letter 'i' the symbol for current?"  "Because there is
no letter 'i' in the word 'current'."  "Master, why do we use the letter
'j' for sqrt(-1)?"  "Because we use the letter 'i' for current."  Whereupon
the Master struck the Disciple, and the Disciple became enlightened.

alastair@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Alastair Macartney) (05/23/89)

You could try Byte magazine August '81 (Smalltalk edition) and the
August '86 edition (Object Oriented Programming edition). These
have several readable articles on object oriented basics.

Hope this helps

Al

lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) (05/23/89)

/ hpcilzb:comp.lang.misc / sarrel@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) /  4:26 pm  May 22, 1989 /

I would like to find a paper that talks about object oriented
programming in general and why it is a "good thing," what advantages
it has, etc.

Any suggestions would be, uh, helpful. :-)

Please respond via email.

advTHANKSance,

--marc
-=-
"Master, why is the letter 'i' the symbol for current?"  "Because there is
no letter 'i' in the word 'current'."  "Master, why do we use the letter
'j' for sqrt(-1)?"  "Because we use the letter 'i' for current."  Whereupon
the Master struck the Disciple, and the Disciple became enlightened.
----------

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (05/23/89)

Bertrand Meyer's book (title and pub from bad memory8-) Object
Oriented Programming, Prentice-Hall, is very good.  There is also
a new journal/magazine called the J. of Object Oriented rogramming
Systems with some good articles.  In the premier issue there was
a good article comparing all the "choices" a language designer
has to make.

lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) (05/23/89)

>/ hpcilzb:comp.lang.misc / lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) /  9:30 am  May 23, 1989 /
>/ hpcilzb:comp.lang.misc / sarrel@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) /  4:26 pm  May 22, 1989 /
>
>I would like to find a paper that talks about object oriented
>programming in general and why it is a "good thing," what advantages
>it has, etc.
>
>Any suggestions would be, uh, helpful. :-)
>
>Please respond via email.
>
>advTHANKSance,
>
>--marc
 What I meant to say was : Try the book "Object Oriented Programming--
 An Evolutionary Approach"  by Brad J. Cox

 It is C++ based ( examples ) but explains the value of OOP well
 enough I want to form fit it to Pascal.

 Lee ( no know C yet yet ) Bentz

in article <1610003@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) says:

>>/ hpcilzb:comp.lang.misc / lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) /  9:30 am  May 23, 1989 /
>>/ hpcilzb:comp.lang.misc / sarrel@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) /  4:26 pm  May 22, 1989 /
>>
>  What I meant to say was : Try the book "Object Oriented Programming--
>  An Evolutionary Approach"  by Brad J. Cox
>
>  It is C++ based ( examples ) but explains the value of OOP well
         ^^^^^^^^^

HUH?  Not the last I read it, it wasn't.  Dr. Cox is the designer of
ObjectiveC not C++, and thus the book is rife with ObjC code.  (ObjC is
the "native" language of the NeXT box, and unfortunately implies that
everything that you write in it MUST include substantial overhead for
their message-passing function.  I have heard that it >40k of additional
code, and it decreases execution speed by at least 10%.  Confirm?)

Robert Raisch - TechnoJunkie & UnixNut| UseNet: {uunet,mailrus}!frith!raisch
Network Software Group-301 Comp.Center| InterNet: raisch@frith.egr.msu.edu
Michigan State University, E. Lansing | ICBMNet: 084 28 50 W / 42 43 29 N
----- The meek WILL inherit the Earth, (Some of us have other plans). ------

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929]) (05/25/89)

In article <1610003@hpcilzb.HP.COM> lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) writes:
> What I meant to say was : Try the book "Object Oriented Programming--
> An Evolutionary Approach"  by Brad J. Cox
>
> It is C++ based ( examples ) but explains the value of OOP well
> enough I want to form fit it to Pascal.
>
> Lee ( no know C yet yet ) Bentz

Actually, it's Objective-C based, not C++ based.

Brian R. Gilstrap                          Southwestern Bell Telephone
One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4                  ...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
St. Louis, MO 63101                        ...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
(314) 235-3929                             ...!uunet!swbatl!sw1e!uucibg
#include <std_disclaimers.h>

lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) (05/25/89)

In my response I said
>>/ hpcilzb:comp.lang.misc / lee@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Lee Bentz) /  9:30 am  May 23, 1989 /
>> ...(some deleted)
>>
>>  It is C++ based ( examples ) but explains the value of OOP well
         ^^^^^^^^^
And was replied to

>HUH?  Not the last I read it, it wasn't.  Dr. Cox is the designer of
>ObjectiveC not C++, and thus the book is rife with ObjC code.  (ObjC is
>the "native" language of the NeXT box, and unfortunately implies that
>everything that you write in it MUST include substantial overhead for
>their message-passing function.  I have heard that it >40k of additional
>code, and it decreases execution speed by at least 10%.  Confirm?)
>

>Robert Raisch - TechnoJunkie & UnixNut| UseNet: {uunet,mailrus}!frith!raisch
>Network Software Group-301 Comp.Center| InterNet: raisch@frith.egr.msu.edu
>Michigan State University, E. Lansing | ICBMNet: 084 28 50 W / 42 43 29 N
>----- The meek WILL inherit the Earth, (Some of us have other plans). ------

and by others.
The book does make a comparison to C++ but is Object C based.
And the NeXT box may be slower but it writes a _lot_ of the
interface code for you.  It programs faster.  The users ( programmers )
I talked with were enthusiastic about it.  It's hard to separate
I/O access speed and message passing overhead.
( You want speed ? Don't multiprocess.  ;-)  )
Lee (if you don't know the language, you can't hear the accents) Bentz

wyant@apollo.COM (Geoffrey Wyant) (05/26/89)

>  HUH?  Not the last I read it, it wasn't.  Dr. Cox is the designer of
>  ObjectiveC not C++, and thus the book is rife with ObjC code.  (ObjC is
>  the "native" language of the NeXT box, and unfortunately implies that
>  everything that you write in it MUST include substantial overhead for
>  their message-passing function.  I have heard that it >40k of additional
>  code, and it decreases execution speed by at least 10%.  Confirm?)
>

>  Robert Raisch - TechnoJunkie & UnixNut| UseNet: {uunet,mailrus}!frith!raisch
>  Network Software Group-301 Comp.Center| InterNet: raisch@frith.egr.msu.edu
>  Michigan State University, E. Lansing | ICBMNet: 084 28 50 W / 42 43 29 N
>  ----- The meek WILL inherit the Earth, (Some of us have other plans). ------

Although I'm no fan of Objective-C, that have improved their message dispatch
time quite a bit.  They report that a message dispatch now costs about 1.5 times
a normal procedure call.  I don't believe that the bare-bones runtime adds
up to 40K, but I could be wrong.

--

    UUCP: wyant@apollo.com

tripathy@hpscdc.HP.COM (Aurobindo Tripathy) (06/27/89)

	I am experimenting with actor and I feel that a seperate notes group
would be helpful. The company that sell ACTOR has a BBS set up back east. I
am sure there are lots of users in the Bay area who would like to share a
notes group to advance their knowledge of this pure object oreinted language.

So how about it folks ! A notes group for ACTOR !!

Call it comp.lang.actor !

Comments appreciated.