[comp.lang.misc] int divided by unsigned.

nevin1@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (nevin.j.liber) (07/06/89)

In article <13960@lanl.gov> jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:

|The principle of least
|astonishment is considered, by most designers, to be something worth
|obeying.  C rarely does.  In fact, there have been many studies of
|various programming language features to determine the effect they
|have on programmer productivity.  There are perhaps a dozen features
|which are consistently found to be damaging to productivity.  Of course,
|C has all of these features.

Could you please elaborate (in comp.lang.misc, of course)?  I'm sure
that many of us would be interested in seeing that list.

Thanks (in advance),
--
NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  AT&T Bell Laboratories  nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM  (312) 979-4751

jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) (07/07/89)

From article <1560@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, by nevin1@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (nevin.j.liber):
> In article <13960@lanl.gov> jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
> [...]                              There are perhaps a dozen features
> |which are consistently found to be damaging to productivity.  Of course,
> |C has all of these features.
>
> Could you please elaborate (in comp.lang.misc, of course)?  I'm sure
> that many of us would be interested in seeing that list.

Well, I've been asked about 10 times for this info.  So, I hope to get
around to it this weekend.  Look for it on comp.lang.misc.

.