[comp.lang.misc] increasing yacc states

jones@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Joel Jones) (07/05/89)

Hello:
  I need to increase the size of the states for  yacc for compiling a large
grammar (Ada).  How can I do this?
My machine configuration is:
          Harris HCX-7 (tahoe)
           BSD 4.3
Yes I have RTFM, and anything else I could get my hands on.
Reply to
    jones@enuxha.eas.asu.edu   -or-
    ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!jones
Thanks
   Joel Jones, CS Grad Student

mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <MC>) (07/05/89)

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to not use YACC. The GNU
project wrote a YACC replacement called Bison. It's mostly YACC x
compatible, but it can handle larger, more complicated grammars.

If you'd like a copy, I can mail you a uuencoded tar file of
the Bison distribution from the Pyramid Users Group archives.

	<MC>
--
=|                     Mark Craig Carroll: <MC>                       |=
=|       mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu,...!rutgers!topaz!mccarrol        |=

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (07/11/89)

(Followups should probably go to comp.compilers, but the moderator
is on vacation, so please bear with us.)

From article <Jul.5.09.29.33.1989.23541@topaz.rutgers.edu>, by mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <MC>):
> Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to not use YACC. The GNU
> project wrote a YACC replacement called Bison. It's mostly YACC x
> compatible, but it can handle larger, more complicated grammars.

Don't take the following question as a dig at GNU. I'm a satisfied
customer. I've used GNU-emacs for over four years. It's now the only
editor I feel really comfortable with.  I ask the following for
information only...

A while back, I remember some kind of discussion over the copyright
notice on BISON.  Do I recall that if you compile it into a program --
a command-interpretter for example, the program is supposed to
advertise BISON when it comes up? Or an I dreaming?
I also seem to remember some question over whether any program
which was prepared using BISON could be shipped without all the
GNU baggage, because FSF copyrights the object code resulting
from compiling the parser-procedure.

I never did hear the last word on it. Can some gnuguru enlighten us?

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (07/12/89)

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>[Does anything compiled with BISON need to say `BISON' on startup?]
>[Must anything compiled with BISON be shipped with the GNU baggage?]

I am not a lawyer, nor an employee of the free software foundation.
What follows is only my understanding.  The following applies ONLY TO
PROGRAMS THAT ARE BEING DISTRIBUTED.  Anything that is used strictly
by you can follow any rules you like.

* The GNU rules require that any *interactive* GNU software name
  itself and reference the GNU copyleft when it is started.  Thus,
  GNU emacs must name itself (expert users can turn this off, if
  desired) and GNU cc (gcc) need not.

* `Anything compiled with BISON' means two things.  BISON is
  approximately a filter that takes TWO input files and produces an
  output file.  One of the files that is normally included is a
  skeleton file written by GNU.  That skeleton file is copylefted and
  appears in the output.  Thus, the output is a `derived work'.  If
  you use the default skeletons, then any code that is derived from or
  linked with the BISON output must follow the terms of the GNU
  copyleft.  If you use your own skeleton, then you need not follow
  the GNU copyleft.

If you build a parser using a standard BISON skeleton and then link it
to a program that you distribute, then the sources FOR THE ENTIRE
PROGRAM must be freely distributable.  If you create a `.o' file for
the parser and do NOT link it in -- the recipient must link it in --
then only the source for the parser must be freely distributable.

That's my understanding.

	;-D on  ( Interesting GNU statements )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

In article <8704@june.cs.washington.edu>, pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
> If you build a parser using a standard BISON skeleton and then link it
> to a program that you distribute, then the sources FOR THE ENTIRE
> PROGRAM must be freely distributable.

This basically means that BISON is useless for commercial software
developers.

I once asked this same question about the run-time libraries for GCC,
and was told that there was no such restriction. So, the question is:
do BISON and GCC have different restrictions? If so, why? If not, what's
the real story?

I'm not saying Stallman is wrong to have a restriction like this, I'd just
like to know what it means.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | Th-th-th-that's all folks...
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  -- Mel Blanc
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |     May 30 1908 - Jul 10 1989

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/14/89)

In article <4996@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
   In article <8704@june.cs.washington.edu>, pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) writes:
      If you build a parser using a standard BISON skeleton and then
      link it to a program that you distribute, then the sources FOR
      THE ENTIRE PROGRAM must be freely distributable.

   ...So, the question is: do BISON and GCC have different
   restrictions?  If so, why? If not, what's the real story?

   I'm not saying Stallman is wrong to have a restriction like this,
   I'd just like to know what it means.

As usual, you're asking and rumoring in the wrong place.  If you were
to ask an original question on gnu.gcc you'd probably find someone
qualified to give you "the real story".

Or better yet, read the GNU General Public License first, which
addresses such matters directly.  This issue arises quite frequently
on gnu.gcc because people don't read the license first, and ask
questions with answers that don't change from wave to wave.

Don't ask me, because I'm not the right one to answer - I have nothing
to do with the FSF, so I can't represent their position.  It just irks
me to see rumors being mongered in authoritative-sounding tones of
voice, but actually in a knowledge vacuum.

evan@plx.UUCP (Evan Bigall) (07/15/89)

In article <BOB.89Jul14073332@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield <bob@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>As usual, you're asking and rumoring in the wrong place.  If you were
>to ask an original question on gnu.gcc you'd probably find someone
>qualified to give you "the real story".

The license is close to legaleze, and many people (myself at least) would like
to know the story before they put the effort into uucp'g it all over and getting
it running on thier machine (this can be a lot of work the first time you do
it).  Finally lots of people (at least myself again) don't get the gnu groups.

I think a summary of the intent and rammifications of the license would be very
usefull in this group.

Evan
--
Evan Bigall, Plexus Computers, San Jose, CA (408)943-2283 ...!sun!plx!evan
"I barely have the authority to speak for myself, certainly not anybody else"