[comp.lang.misc] models

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/29/89)

In article <8514@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lacey@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
(John Lacey) writes:
>P.S.   What about comp.lang.paradigms? ...

How about `comp.lang.models' instead?  Not only is it easier to type
(and spell), it is also the right word.  A newsgroup for examples in
particular computer languages does not seem very useful.

marc@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Marc[e] Sabatella) (08/02/89)

>The most important thing is LEAVING OUT spurious or unhelpful concepts,
>like line numbers in BASIC or pointers to functions returning arrays of
>structures containing pointers to functions returning... in C, or about
>half of PL/I. :-)  The simpler the better for an introductory language.

On the other hand, just because C *provides* this, doesn't mean you have to
teach it in a beginning class.

I could probably make a good argument for a language like Ada as a beginning
language - if you stick to basics it is as easy as Pascal (easier, really -
I think in/out is more intutive than "var"), and when it is time to learn
more advanced concepts (say, in a second or third course) you don't have to
switch languages.

--------------
Marc Sabatella
HP Colorado Language Lab (CoLL)
marc@hpmonk

hjb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Harry Barman) (08/02/89)

Another good "leveller" first language is ML.  Since ML is a functional
language with a decent type system, it is much easier to teach the basic
concepts to people who have never programmer.  It is also very good for
the people who have written programs before.  Often they have only written
some cobbled together Basic/Assembler/C, and ML shows them that there are
other languages & keeps 'em quiet :-).

In the UK, I think both Hatfield Polytechnic and Cambridge University teach ML
as a first language, perhaps someone from either of those places might like
to comment?

-- Harry

Harry.Barman@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Harry Barman) (08/05/89)

--
Fidonet:  Harry Barman via 1:363/9
Internet: Harry.Barman@mamab.FIDONET.ORG

mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) (08/07/89)

In article <5160021@hpfcdc.HP.COM> marc@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Marc[e] Sabatella) writes:
>I could probably make a good argument for a language like Ada as a beginning
>language - if you stick to basics it is as easy as Pascal (easier, really -
>I think in/out is more intutive than "var"), and when it is time to learn
>more advanced concepts (say, in a second or third course) you don't have to
>switch languages.

I mostly agree, EXCEPT you have to do generics to any kind of output of
numbers and things!  For that reason, I'd recommend Pascal, with a switch
to Ada if that's your end goal.  Since Ada is close to Pascal, very little
would be lost in switching languages.

Mike
--
Mike Proicou