[comp.lang.misc] Is there a Yacc file for PLI?

sri@well.UUCP (Software Research Inc) (11/18/89)

	We here at Software Research, Inc. are planning on working
on a product that will require us to parse PLI code.  Does anyone
have, or know where to get, a yacc-able version of the grammar for
PLI?

Regards,
Carl Weidling for Software Research, Inc.

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (11/20/89)

In article <14610@well.UUCP> sri@well.UUCP (Software Research Inc) writes:

>	We here at Software Research, Inc. are planning on working
>on a product that will require us to parse PLI code.  Does anyone
>have, or know where to get, a yacc-able version of the grammar for
>PLI?

You will find this a highly non-trivial task. There is no yacc-able
grammar for PL/1 because there are no reserved words; i.e. keywords are
only keywords in context & are otherwise identifiers. YACC does not
easily handle this case. (Consider IF IF THEN THEN ...)

The last PL/1 compiler I looked at had about 8 syntax analysis passes,
all hand-written.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz