[comp.lang.misc] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.lang.cobo

smk90219@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/28/89)

Well, I know I'm technically nobody, but I'm curious:

Are you sure cobol isn't dead?  I thought it had been replaced by, say,

Natural/Adabas, Modula, C++, etc.

At least here in the U.S.

		--  Just Wondering

econrad@thor.wright.edu (Eric Conrad) (11/30/89)

From article <117400004@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by smk90219@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:

> Well, I know I'm technically nobody, but I'm curious:
> Are you sure cobol isn't dead?  I thought it had been replaced by, say,
> Natural/Adabas, Modula, C++, etc.
> At least here in the U.S.
>
> 		--  Just Wondering

Well, I've been away from the real world for about two years but it
seems like COBOL is still the biggie in the business world despite
annual post-mortems by people here in academia.  Most of the languages
which purport to replace it either don't support a reasonable file model
or can't do fixed-point arithmetic in base ten.

Not that people who program in it love the language.  I never yet met a
COBOL fanatic.  It just did what it was supposed to, albeit clumsily.

-- Eric Conrad

wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (11/30/89)

In article <859@thor.wright.EDU>, econrad@thor.wright.edu (Eric Conrad) writes:
> From article <117400004@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by smk90219@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:
> >
> > Well, I know I'm technically nobody, but I'm curious:
> > Are you sure cobol isn't dead?  [ ... ]
>
> Well, I've been away from the real world for about two years but it
> seems like COBOL is still the biggie [ ... ]

 Yep, COBOL is one of the main languages we see here.
(We assist 3rd party software vendors in porting their applications to our
 UNIX platforms).

 In order of popularity (from my memory, not objective figures) the languages
we see are

 COBOL, C, 4GLs, BASIC, FORTRAN, Pascal.

We also get the occasional request for FORTH, PL/I, Mumps, C++, LISP,
Modula-2, Prolog, etc.
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!cbmvax!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center	"Unless you are very rich and very eccentric,

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (11/30/89)

In article <117400004@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> smk90219@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Are you sure cobol isn't dead?  I thought it had been replaced by, say,
>
>Natural/Adabas, Modula, C++, etc.
>
>At least here in the U.S.
>
>		--  Just Wondering

As far as the commercial data processing community goes COBOL is more than
alive in the US.  There is probably more COBOL code still in production than
anything else.  Vendors continue to produce tools to support COBOL development,
e.g., most CASE tools seem either to be exclusively COBOL oriented or mainly
so.

In more engineering and scientific markets FORTRAN and C seem very healthy
with Ada making respectable advances.

Commercial organization are definitely looking at altrernatives to COBOL as
they get more involved in non-traditional business applications (communica-
tions, networking, real-time).  But COBOL is not going away and will remain
common if companies go more towards code generation technology since COBOL is
what many vendors offer today.  (Even if the code generation issue may make
it irrelevant what's being generated underneath.  I say "may" because, even
though it should, we are at the assembly language vs high-level language phase
in arguments about performance/efficiency of such code.)

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   609-737-2945 (h))