[comp.lang.misc] Inexpensive Simula Compiler

gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (12/19/89)

In article <PCG.89Dec17184350@rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>A german university is now
>distributing for very cheap a very portable Simula 67 compiler
>that will also run on home micros... It may still make a comeback!

It probably isn't the compiler that Mr. Grandi refers to, but a Lund
Simula compiler exists for the Macintosh.  It runs under MPW,
and requires the MPW assembler.  It is available for anonymous ftp from
rascal.ics.utexas.edu, in directory mac/programming/simula.  A Hypercard
stack that comes with it contains the beginnings of a reference manual.

I have nothing to do with the U of Texas, Lund, or the compiler.  I haven't
even had a chance to try it out yet.

    Glen Ditchfield  gjditchfield@violet.uwaterloo.ca  Office: DC 2517
Dept. of Computer Science, U of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1
			 Gorbachev is a CIA mole.

gorel@dna.lth.se (G|rel Hedin) (12/19/89)

and in article <32712@watmath.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu
(Glen Ditchfield) writes:
>It probably isn't the compiler that Mr. Grandi refers to, but a Lund
>Simula compiler exists for the Macintosh.  It runs under MPW,
>and requires the MPW assembler.  It is available for anonymous ftp from
>rascal.ics.utexas.edu, in directory mac/programming/simula.  A Hypercard
>stack that comes with it contains the beginnings of a reference manual.

You are both right. The Simula compiler referred to has been ported both to
the ATARI-ST and to the Macintosh (as well as to a number of workstations and
mainframes). The compiler was originally developed at University of
Lund and is now supported by a company called Lund Software. The port to
ATARI-ST was carried out at University of Dortmund.

Info about the ATARI-ST port can be obtained from Wilfried Rupflin at
University of Dortmund (wr@exunido.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de).

Info about the Mac port (which is public domain) and about other ports
can be obtained from Boris Magnusson at University of Lund (boris@dna.lth.se).
He is also interested in receiving comments on any of the ports.

   Gorel Hedin  gorel@dna.lth.se
Dept of Computer Science, University of Lund, Sweden