[comp.lang.misc] Thorobred BASIC

orion@nuchat (Roland Dunkerley III) (12/22/89)

Hi out there in netland, I have a client who has a
Medical Database/Stat. application written in Clipper,
and he wanted me to get some information on Thorobred
BASIC because he saw someone else's application who had
used that and claims that it was extremely fast.  So, I
was wanting to know if anyone else out there had used
TB, and if they would be willing to comment on it's
features, ease of use, vendor support, and so on.  I
myself would much rather port the application to C or
C++, but he pays the bills, and he wants to at least
investigate this BASIC.  Do people out there still
think BASIC is a REAL programming language?  I vaguely
remember an article in Unix World a while back
mentioning the Thorobred OS, and was also wondering if
this was from the same people, or if I might just be
mis-remembering...  Oh, I'd also like to know if TB is
available under other platforms besides Messy Pizzy DOS
(portability) and (lastly), how it compares to other
BASICs.  I guess BASIC can't be as bad as Clipper, and
I write code in that when enough cash is offered.
Please reply by mail, and if I recieve enough "me
too"s, I'll summarize and post.  Please send flames
regarding how Clipper and BASIC are serious programming
languages and all other such nonsense to /dev/null.
Oh, and while you're at it please send fully armed
ICBMs to:
  Pope George Bush, Chief Minion of Evil Statism
  The White House
  Wash, DC

  thanx in advance,
   Roland Dunkerley III
--
*** (orion@nuchat.sccsi.com)  (uunet.UU.NET!nuchat!orion)
*** South Coast Computing Services

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (12/23/89)

In article <17766@nuchat.UUCP> orion@nuchat (Roland Dunkerley III) writes:
>                                                  So, I
>was wanting to know if anyone else out there had used
>TB, and if they would be willing to comment on it's
>features, ease of use, vendor support, and so on.

Thoroughbred BASIC is based on MAI Basic/4 "Business Basic" (not to be
confused with Microsoft Business Basic).  Basic/4's Business Basic
has been around close to 20 years.  It was designed mainly for
transaction-oriented business data processing, however, it has
proven ideal for many other applications.  I'll agree that many
times, C or C++ would be a better choice, for what Business Basic
was designed for, it is still the best choice (IMHO).

Business Basic is superficially similar to other BASICs.  What sets
it apart is powerful device handling capabilities, intrinsic keyed file
access with file/record locking, error and exception handling up the
yin-yang, and 14-digit decimal precision math.

Over the years, many companies have offered Business Basic workalikes
running under various platforms.  Thoroughbred BASIC is one of those
workalikes.

Now for the commercial...

We also sell a Business Basic platform known as "Business Basic Extended"
or BBx.  The "extended" part involves substantial enhancements not
found in traditional Business Basic such as long variable names, string
arrays, windowing, graphics, multi-keyed files, and many others.
We also run on dozens of different machines including any DOS or
DOS network (and compatibles), and most boxes running Unix, Xenix,
or some reasonably compatible **ix.  Since we are upward compatible
from traditional Business Basic, software written in other Business
Basics generally ports easily over to BBx.  If you are seriously looking
for a good Business Basic give us a call or ask around.  We are
well known in the Business Basic world.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM