[comp.lang.misc] *66, *68, *77, etc...

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (12/21/89)

Which was the first 'year' language?  I.E., like algol68, fortran66, and
forth79 ?

I bet it's fortran,  but what year?

dtm@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Muxworthy) (12/28/89)

In article <6377@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>Which was the first 'year' language?  I.E., like algol68, fortran66, and
>forth79 ?
>
>I bet it's fortran,  but what year?

The earliest I know of is Algol 58, a precursor of Algol 60.  Fortran
preceded that (specification 1954, manual 1955, software release 1957),
but when the next version appeared as Fortran II in 1958, the original
became known as Fortran I.  Fortran 66 only became known as such after
Fortran 77 had appeared.  Jean Sammett's book "Programming Langauages:
History and Fundamentals" (1969) would be the place to check up on this.
David Muxworthy
University of Edinburgh

fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr) (12/28/89)

In article <6377@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>Which was the first 'year' language?  I.E., like algol68, fortran66, and
>forth79 ?
>
>I bet it's fortran,  but what year?

Wasn't there an Algol60 ?  And I don't know of any Fortran earlier than
'66.  And wasn't there some Cobol standard before '74?  (This is "ancient
history" as far as computers go!)

--
Robert Fenske, Jr.                      Sw     | The Taming the C*sm*s series:
Electromagnetics Division              /R---\  |

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (12/29/89)

In article <6377@wpi.wpi.edu>, jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
> Which was the first 'year' language?  I.E., like algol68, fortran66, and
> forth79 ?
>
> I bet it's fortran,  but what year?

Bet it's not - Algol 60  (the successor to the first Algol, which did
not go by year number...) is earlier than all year-numbered FORTRANs.

Note: Some people referred to Algol 60 simply as 'Algol' just as many
people often referred to FORTRAN 66 as FORTRAN IV. The first language
not to also have a yearless name might well be Algol 68.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

nam2254@dsacg2.UUCP (Tom Ohmer) (12/29/89)

From article <1479@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu>, by fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr):

> Wasn't there an Algol60 ?  And I don't know of any Fortran earlier than
> '66.  And wasn't there some Cobol standard before '74?  (This is "ancient
> history" as far as computers go!)

In 1970 I learned COBOL B, COBOL D, and COBOL H on a Honeywell H-200.  It had
a drum printer, card reader, teletype console, sense switches, card punch,
4 (noisy) tape drives, and 16k of memory.  Took almost a half hour to compile
a modestly complex program.  We (Erie County, PA Technical School class of
'72) were excited when we upgraded to 28k and a (removable platter) disk
drive.  Yeah, ancient history, alright! :-)
--
Tom Ohmer @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
            DSAC-AMB, Bldg. 27-6, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH  43216-5002

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (12/31/89)

I believe the U.S. Army still uses systems written in Jovial58.

bpendlet@bambam.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (01/03/90)

From article <33415@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, by oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster):
> I believe the U.S. Army still uses systems written in Jovial58.

Jovial == Jules Own Version of the International Algorithmic Language.

Modulo spelling and memory errors.

I believe that Jovial, like Nelliac, was a dialect of Algol57.

			Bob P.
--
              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
UUCP Address:  decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

                      X: Tools, not rules.