[comp.lang.misc] Edinburgh ML

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/13/89)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out about
a language called "Edinburgh ML"?

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Let me further make it plain to the assassins in Beirut

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/14/89)

In article <1268@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, aem@mthvax (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out about
>a language called "Edinburgh ML"?

Your best bet in the States is to jack into the mailing list
(sml-request@edu.cmu.cs). We don't call it Edinburgh ML any more (that
was an old dialect), but Standard ML (since it has a formal
definition).

>a.e.mossberg

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

kevin@argosy.UUCP (Kevin S. Van Horn) (12/15/89)

Is there an ML implementation that runs on a PC?

Kevin S. Van Horn
argosy!kevin@decwrl.dec.com

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/16/89)

In article <343@argosy.UUCP>, kevin@argosy (Kevin S. Van Horn) writes:
>Is there an ML implementation that runs on a PC?

Nope, because their brains are too small and nasty.

>Kevin S. Van Horn

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
  "...all these moments... will be lost in time... like tears in rain."

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/18/89)

Thanks to everyone who responded here or by e-mail about Edinburgh ML;
here's a distillation of the responses I received.

Edinburgh is an old, partial implementation of Standard ML, and is
distributed by the Edinburgh Computer Science Department. The contact
address is glc@lfcs.ed.ac.uk

Other Standard MLs available are Poly/ML, by Dave Matthews at Cambridge
(contact address is dcjm@cl.cam.ac.uk) and Standard ML of New Jersey,
by Andrew Appel and Dave MacQueen. (contact address for Dave is
dbm@research.att.com)

Other MLs that were mentioned include:

Edinburgh LCF, a low level abstract machine used for the LCF
	theorem prover;

Unix ML, by Luca Cardelli.  Compiles to FAM code (FAM is Luca's
	Functional Abstract Machine) and thence to Vax native code.

LML, "Lazy ML" by Thomas Johnsson and Lennart Augustsson.  Different
	syntax, no side-effects, normal-order semantics.  Compiles to
	G code and then to native code for several machines.

CAML, by Pierre Curien et al., based on "The Categorical Abstract Machine".
	Compiles to CAM code and then to LLM3, which is the abstract machine
	developed for LeLisp.

There is an internet mailing list for standard ML -
subscription requests go to sml-request@cs.cmu.edu

Finally, a number of books and papers were mentioned:

An old version of ML is described in:

Gordon, Milner, Wadsworth
Edinburgh LCF
Springer LNCS 78
Springer-Verlag 1979
ISBN: 0-387-09724-4

This one describes both ML and functional programming in general,
but only covers the Core Language of ML (not the modules mechanism):

Wikstrom
Functional Programming Using Standard ML
Prentice Hall 1987
ISBN: 0-13-331661-0

Another book about functional programming that uses SML is:

Reade
Elements of Functional Programming
Addison-Wesly 1989
ISBN: 0-201-12915-9

There is also a report from Edinburgh:

Harper
Introduction to Standard ML
LFCS Report Series  ECS-LFCS-86-14
Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
University of Edinburgh

A classical paper on the ML type system is:

Milner
A Theory of Type Polymorphism in Programming
Journal of Computer and System Sciences 17, 348-375 (1978)

And Standard ML is completely defined in:

Harper, Milner, and Tofte
The Definition of Standard ML version 2
LFCS Report Series  ECS-LFCS-88-62
Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
University of Edinburgh

Thanks again to everyone.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Painting and fucking are not compatible; it weakens the brain...If we want to be

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/18/89)

In article <1297@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, aem@mthvax (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>Edinburgh is an old, partial implementation of Standard ML, and is
>distributed by the Edinburgh Computer Science Department. The contact
>address is glc@lfcs.ed.ac.uk

It's old, but being maintained at the moment. It's up-to-date, but
only provides the core language.

>And Standard ML is completely defined in:
>
>Harper, Milner, and Tofte
>The Definition of Standard ML version 2
>LFCS Report Series  ECS-LFCS-88-62
>Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science
>Department of Computer Science
>University of Edinburgh

Version 2 is out of date, since there were one or two bugs in the
semantics. This definition document will be available as a book from
MIT press sometime soon.

>a.e.mossberg

		Nick.
--

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (01/04/90)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

> Date: 17 Dec 89 23:34:17 GMT
> Sender: news@umigw.MIAMI.EDU
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded here or by e-mail about Edinburgh ML;
> here's a distillation of the responses I received.

There's yet another another version of ML available as one of the
languages in Poplog. Poplog is a portable extendable software
development environment providing incremental compilers for Common
Lisp, Pop-11 (a lisp-like language with Pascal-like syntax), Prolog,
and ML. It also provides tools for adding incremental compilers for
new langauges, which then automatically run on all the hosts, with
full editing environment etc. It is possible for programs written in
different languages to call one other (though not all combinations
are easy.)

The currently distributed version of Poplog (version 13.6) has an
optional extension which is Standard ML version 1, and is being used
for teaching and research in a number of places (e.g. I believe it
is compatible with the Wikstrom textbook on ML).

The next release of Poplog (due out shortly) will, for the first
time, automatically include ML as one of its languages, i.e. the
new ML (version 2.0.). This will also include an interface to X11R3
(which has delayed the release, originally planned earlier).

Current hosts:
    VAX+VMS, VAX+Ultrix, VAX+Bsd 4.2/3, Sun-2,3,4, Sun386i,
    SPARCstation, Solbourne, Sequent Symmetry (with Dynix),
    HP M680?0+Unix workstations, Apollo+Unix,
    MAC-II with A/UX (still experimental - recently ported for us by
    Queen Mary College).

DECstation 3100 and MIPS versions should be available within a few
months.

Unfortunately Poplog is not free - it's a commercial product though
there is a discount of 85% or more for educational customers. For
more information contact:

In Canada or USA

    Prof Robin Popplestone
    Dept. of Computer and Information Science
    Lederle Graduate Research Center
    University of Massachusetts
    Amherst, MA  01003, USA

Email pop@cs.umass.edu

or
    Prof Robin Popplestone
    Computable Functions Inc.,
    35 South Orchard Drive,
    Amherst, MA 01002, USA      Phone(413) 253-7637

For UK educational users ONLY:

    Ms Alison Mudd
    School of Cognitive Sciences
    University of Sussex
    Brighton, BN1 9QN           phone: 0273-606755
                                email: alim@uk.ac.sussex.cogs

ALL others e.g. UK commercial users, all non-UK users, contact the
main distributors:

    Integral Solutions Ltd
    Unit 3, Campbell Court
    Bramley,
    Near Basingstoke,
    Hampshire,
    RG26 5EG
    England

    Phone   +44 256 882028     Fax +44 256 882182

    email isl@integ.uucp

Poplog is developed by Sussex University and, except for UK
academic users, distributed for us by Integral Solutions Ltd.

Apologies for late response and I hope this information is of some
use.

Aaron Sloman,
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences,
Univ of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QH, England
    EMAIL   aarons@cogs.sussex.ac.uk
or:
            aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk